• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Resample.exe not working

Country
us-ohio
For some reason when I try to drag the INF file over the resample.exe a black window opens suddenly and then closes. No bgl is created. I've checked that every source file and directory is correct. I've also tried using some of the resample examples. I've also moved the folder to the desktop and it still doesn't work. I have windows 10

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jason:

Try using a "DOS" (aka command mode) batch file as explained by rhumbaflappy:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/multichannel-multisource.16118/post-104733

Copy the sourceses, the INF, and resample to the same directory. Then make a batch file in that directory:

Code:
resample MyPhotoreal.inf
pause

Save the text of the batch file as MyPhotoreal.bat, and double-click it. Resample will do it's thing, and then pause, leaving the cmd window open.

Or just search your Windows directory for cmd.exe, and copy it to your work folder. Double-click on the cmd.exe icon, and a dos window will open up. Then type: resample MyPhotoreal.inf

Dick

FYI: You can use Windows NotePad to create the text above, then save it as a *.BAT file extension so it will act as a 'batch' file:

CAVEAT: When saving one's work in NotePad, one must set the 'Save as type' to "All Files (*.*)" in order for the *.BAT file extension to be used instead of the *.txt file extension utilized by NotePad as a default.

Any error message can then be seen in the messages written out bu SDK Resample within that "CMD Mode" task session window.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Hi Jason:

Try using a "DOS" (aka command mode) batch file as explained by rhumbaflappy:

FYI: You can use Windows NotePad to create the text above, then save it as a *.BAT file extension so it will act as a 'batch' file:

CAVEAT: When saving one's work in NotePad, one must set the 'Save as type' to "All Files (*.*)" in order for the *.BAT file extension to be used instead of the *.txt file extension utilized by NotePad as a default.

Any error message can then be seen in the messages written out bu SDK Resample within that "CMD Mode" task session window.

GaryGB
I'm definitely now getting a box and seeing things so that's good. However this is what I get when I run it:
Resample Info File: 'Photo01.inf'
[Destination] DestDir = '"C:\Users\Jasonz\Desktop\Airport\Photo01.INF"'
[Destination] DestBaseFileName = 'Photo01.INF'
[Destination] LOD = 'Auto'
[Destination] DestFileType = 'BGL'
[Destination] UseSourceDimensions = 1
[Destination] CompressionQuality = 85
Source Data required.
Press any key to continue . . .

And no file is created

I also tried with the Resample Examples and instead of Source Data required it says "Unable to open data source 'C:\Users\Desktop\Airport\SourceData\DeathValleyTif.Tif: Cannot Open. Failed to create data source

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Jason:

There are no less than 4 different possible causes for the SDK Resample error message string: "Unable to open data source".

If you ZIP a copy of the Photo01.INF file cited above and attach it to a reply here, we would be better able to help you troubleshoot this. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Just in case you are copy/pasting the error message, and they are exactly as you've posted:
One of your quoted paths starts "C:\Users\Jasonz\Desktop\" and the other starts "C:\Users\Desktop\" which might point to a problem.

Country
us-ohio
Just in case you are copy/pasting the error message, and they are exactly as you've posted:
One of your quoted paths starts "C:\Users\Jasonz\Desktop\" and the other starts "C:\Users\Desktop\" which might point to a problem.
Found out the problem! For the DestDir you are not supposed to put the whole path, simply the path to the folder. If you put the whole path including the file at the end it doesn't work. So for example it should be "C:\Folder\" not "C:\Folder\File". Additionally everything but source 1 (day map) should be in TIFF because apparently GIMP exports problematic BMPs that can't be read for some reason so that's why there was an unable to open error.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

Although it may sometimes be necessary to use long and explicit paths to a source or destination folder (aka "directory"), this may increase risk for typos, use of paths which exceed the Windows internal 32-bit long file name limits for a file name string length.

Most FS developers will purposely put all required files and SDK Resample.exe in the same folder, then direct Resample to read and write into that same folder path by using the "DOS" / CMD Mode path variable "." to indicate 'this same folder path' as discussed here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resampling-question.427216/post-647799

...and as shown in this FS SDK Resample example:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/world/terrain/samples/multichannel_multisource.html.

Hope this helps a bit more with the learning process. :)

GaryGB

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
For some reason when I try to drag the INF file over the resample.exe a black window opens suddenly and then closes. No bgl is created. I've checked that every source file and directory is correct. I've also tried using some of the resample examples. I've also moved the folder to the desktop and it still doesn't work. I have windows 10

I got this once, drove me mad for days trying to figure it out. Solution was that .bmp files needed to be opened in a simple art package like Paint, and then saved. That was all. It seems that some packages like GIMP save images with formatting that resample doesn't like. Give it a try :)

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

FYI: Older and current versions of PhotoShop and GIMP can output *.BMP / *.TIF files which are not fully compatible with SDK Resample.

For SDK Resample compatibility in source images output by PhotoShop and GIMP, ensure 'output' options meet the following criteria: :pushpin:

When Day / Seasonal variation "visible" source images are 'Saved' as a 24-Bit color *.BMP, configure the file format with:

* "Run Length Encoded" (aka "RLE") NOT checked

* "Do NOT write color space information" checked

* "24-Bits" (R8 G8 B8) 'ticked'

When Blend and Water Mask 'data' source images are 'Saved' as a 8-Bit gray-scale '(256)-color-step' *.TIF, configure the file format with:

* NO compression, whether FAX - CCITT 3, Huffman Encoding, LZW, PackBits etc.

* RGB NOT CMYK

* NO ICC sRGB Color Space Profile Embedded

* Optimized NOT Custom Palette

Hope this helps a bit more. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: