• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

sketchup model to P3D

Country
switzerland
Hello guys, i try to convert sketchup models to P3DV4.5 via MCX unfrontely i have 2 problems

1612111002984.png
1612111036685.png

Normaly i have to see the 3d model like that ...
Please guys give me a solution !

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Sketchup can work with several graphics file formats and map them as textures onto 3D models, but it does not work with DXT BMP or DDS.

P3D performance is better when *.DDS file format texture images are used, and pixel dimensions must be in "Powers of Two" aspect ratio.

After import of a COPY of your Sketchup project into ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"), open MCX Material Editor from the icon toolbar.

On the {Textures} tab, select all mapped textures and convert them to the *.DDS and 'Powers of Two' format, allowing MCX to overwrite originals.

In the MCX Material Editor, one should:

* Select ALL mapped textures for conversion (both solid colors and texture image Materials originally used within Sketchup

* Specify a \Texture sub-folder path for the textures to be written into before actually converting

* Convert all mapped mapped textures into ex: *.DDS, Powers-of-2 in the destination folder

CAVEAT: If "Overwrite" is allowed, path / file names and/or extensions of the mapped textures within that 3D MDL will change.

If you have questions on what takes place within MCX during any 3D MDL processing steps, toggle display of the Event Log via the [Show / Hide Event Log] tool bar button, and/or click the [Pen & Paper] icon on the bottom left of the MCX status bar to "Save Event Log to file" ...for later review. ;)

You should find a step-by-step guide to that process in MCX within one or more of these threads:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ROAWYPmzFaGvtgXxkq2wDw&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+MCX+Material+Editor+Texture+folder+path&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+MCX+Material+Editor+Texture+folder+path&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFDNI1jNI2C4MWgAcAB4AIABf4gB0AKSAQMxLjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj55av80MbuAhWhl60KHXFJC_YQ4dUDCAw

Further discussion on this MCX-related topic might best be conducted within the MCX sub-forum: ;)

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
What are the exact issues you are having here?
1. The textures missing on the pillars?
2. Power of 2 of the textures?

First, make sure you are always using power of 2 texture sheets. (ex. 128x128px / 256x256px / 512x512px / 1024x1024px / 2048x2048px / 4096x4096px)

The missing textures may also depend on how you textured the item in the first place.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
LOL! How many times have I done this. Look up along the top of the screen and see what display mode you are in - the one with the blue box around it. You are in Colored Render Mode - which does not display textures. Click on the button to the right - Texture Rendered Mode.

Hope this helps,

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
First, make sure you are always using power of 2 texture sheets. (ex. 128x128px / 256x256px / 512x512px / 1024x1024px / 2048x2048px / 4096x4096px)
128x1024px 512x1024px 2048x1024px 1024x4096px............... can also And even 32x32 in some cases is useful.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There is no need to have them a power of 2 when viewing in MCX, only in FS.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
LOL! How many times have I done this. Look up along the top of the screen and see what display mode you are in - the one with the blue box around it. You are in Colored Render Mode - which does not display textures. Click on the button to the right - Texture Rendered Mode.

Hope this helps,
Ah, yes. That would do it as well. Can't believe I didn't notice.. lol