• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX [SOLVED] Auto Engine Cranking - Issue

Country
switzerland
Dear FSX experts,

I have recently bought the following FSX panel for:

Boeing 777: http://www.npsimpanel.net/b777-300-deluxe
Airbus Deluxe: http://www.npsimpanel.net/airbus-series-fsx-1

Overall is a nice panel, except the following issue, I am faced with:

1) Whenever I load / create an IFR plan and start the flight. the engine starts to crank-up automatically and keeps cranking until I manually flip the below marked knob from "Norm" to "Con" and then back to "Norm". (See below the marked area - Click it to enlarge)

2) As mentioned on very many FSX forums, I switched off the "Auto Start" and everything else (Dark Start) saved the flight, checked "make it default" option, but still each time I start the flight, its the same issue as if my saved setting gets reset. Once again, I need to perform the knob action from point "1" above.

3) The above is also the issue with Airbus panels.

4) This is not the case with my default FSX panels.

Please can anyone help me in fixing this issue? Do not know where to start looking into? Do I need into the related Gauge ".cab" file / Panel.cfg file / Aircraft.cfg file?

The developers manuals do not give specific anything in this context:

Boeing 777: Manual
Airbus Delux: Short Haul Manual / Long Haul Manual

Thanking you all in advance.

Best regards,
GRP

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Contact the developer and ask him/her to remove the autostart function or at least make it optional.

Country
switzerland
Hi Heretic,

I have done it, no response yet. Is there a way for me to edit it myself?

Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
GRP

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well, find the XML file in the .cab that deals with engine starts. Sounds simple, but remember that there are 345893425934258973458973425873425 ways to acocmplish this and that you need to know what you're looking for ((>K:TOGGLE_STARTER[number]) or (>K:TOGGLE_ALL_STARTERS) or (>K:ENGINE_AUTO_START)).

Country
switzerland
Hi Heretic,

Thanks for the help and hint.

I found the following script lines in the overheadpanel .xml file. Now what should change to remove the autostart function or at least make it optional?

Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
GRP

For Engine 1:

<MouseArea id="Engine Start 1 GRD-FLT">
<FloatPosition>855.000,283.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>70,70</Size>
<MouseArea id="Eng Start 1DEC">
<FloatPosition>0.000,0.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>35,70</Size>
<CursorType>DownArrow</CursorType>
<MouseClick id="MouseClick">
<Script>(L:Eng Start 1,bool) -- s0 -2 &gt; if{ l0 (&gt;L:Eng Start 1,bool) } 1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)</Script>
<ClickType>LeftSingle</ClickType>
</MouseClick>
</MouseArea>
<MouseArea id="Eng Start 1INC">
<FloatPosition>35.000,0.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>35,70</Size>
<CursorType>UpArrow</CursorType>
<Script>(L:Eng Start 1,bool) ++ s0 2 &lt; if{ l0 (&gt;L:Eng Start 1,bool) }</Script>
</MouseClick>
<Tooltip id="Tooltip">
<DefaultId>TOOLTIPTEXT_B737_ENG1_OFF_FLT_SWITCH</DefaultId>
</Tooltip>
</MouseArea>
</MouseArea>
<MouseArea id="Engine Start">
<FloatPosition>966.000,323.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>55,52</Size>
<CursorType>Hand</CursorType>
<Script>(L:Eng Start,number) ++ 2 % (&gt;L:Eng Start,number) 1 (&gt;K:ENGINE_AUTO_START)</Script>
</MouseClick>
<Tooltip id="Tooltip">
<DefaultId>HELPID_777_ENGINE_AUTOSTART</DefaultId>
</Tooltip>
</MouseArea>

For Engine 2:

<MouseArea id="Engine Start 2 GRD-FLT">
<FloatPosition>1075.000,283.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>70,70</Size>
<MouseArea id="Eng Start 2DEC">
<Size>35,70</Size>
<CursorType>DownArrow</CursorType>
<Script>(L:Eng Start 2,bool) -- s0 -2 &gt; if{ l0 (&gt;L:Eng Start 2,bool) } 1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER2)</Script>
</MouseClick>
</MouseArea>
<MouseArea id="Eng Start 2INC">
<FloatPosition>35.000,0.000</FloatPosition>
<Size>35,70</Size>
<CursorType>UpArrow</CursorType>
<Script>(L:Eng Start 2,bool) ++ s0 2 &lt; if{ l0 (&gt;L:Eng Start 2,bool) }</Script>
</MouseClick>
<Tooltip id="Tooltip">
<DefaultId>TOOLTIPTEXT_B737_ENG2_OFF_FLT_SWITCH</DefaultId>
</Tooltip>
</MouseArea>
</MouseArea>

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
This does not induce an automatic start on its own as <MouseArea> code blocks are only executed upon interacting with the mouse.

You need to dig deeper.

Country
switzerland
I think I found it Heretic. Please can you take a look and comment.

==========================================
<Filename>B777 Main Panel.xml</Filename>
<SimGauge.Gauge id="Main Panel" ArtDirectory=".">
<Size>1600,1200</Size>
<Update id="Update">
<Script>
(L:Init1) 0 == if{
1 (&gt;L:Nav Display Switch1, bool) (* Map *)
-1 (&gt;L:Vor1 Adf1 select, bool)
-1 (&gt;L:Vor2 Adf2 select, bool)
1 (&gt;L:DC Volts Selector,number)
1 (&gt;K:CABIN_NO_SMOKING_ALERT_SWITCH_TOGGLE)
1 (&gt;L:Select N1 SET, enum)
1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)
1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER2)

1 (&gt;K:FUEL_SELECTOR_CENTER)
-1 (&gt;L:CTR Display Mode2, bool)
1 (&gt;L:Init1)
</Script>
</Update>
<Macro id="c" Name="c">
<MacroValue>C:fs9gps:1</MacroValue>
</Macro>
<Macro id="g" Name="g">
<MacroValue>C:fs9gps:1</MacroValue>
</Macro>
<Macro id="TOOLTIP_ID" Name="TOOLTIP_ID">
<MacroValue>ROUND_DIAL</MacroValue>
</Macro>
<Macro id="Macro" Name="ROUND_DIAL">
<MacroValue>
@ROUND_DIAL
</MacroValue>
</Macro>
==========================================

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Yep, looks like it. Deactivate the lines marked in blueby commenting them out. Like this:

Code:
<!-- 1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)
1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER2) -->

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Yep, it does. But even if the closing backet was present, the starters would be toggled.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It doesn't work without it. At least not as intended. Since the "wrapper" is broken, the content of the initialization routine is executed during every gauge update cycle, which would lead to switches automatically resetting to the state specified in this routine, despite having clicked then just earlier.

But since starters in FSX are, unlike the kickstarters in FS9, toggle switches, a properly coded initialization routine would still toggle them once before the routine ends.

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
Excuse me for butting in here, isn't that if statement missing a closing }?

Yes, but in this specific case it is not needed and the script will execute as intended by its author.

It doesn't work without it. At least not as intended. Since the "wrapper" is broken, the content of the initialization routine is executed during every gauge update cycle,

No, the script will execute only once, as expected. Closing brackets are not mandatory when there is no els{} involved and the conditional sentence goes up to the end of the <Update> tag.

Tom

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No, the script will execute only once, as expected. Closing brackets are not mandatory when there is no els{} involved and the conditional sentence goes up to the end of the <Update> tag.

That's news to me. Never would have thought that a parser that gets a hiccup when there's a "°" somewhere in the gauge accepts a non-closing bracket.
I'll file left out closing brackets under "shoddy coding" though.

Country
switzerland
Yep, looks like it. Deactivate the lines marked in blueby commenting them out. Like this:

Code:
<!-- 1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)
1 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_STARTER2) -->

Dear Heretic,

Sorry for my late response... I have successfully implemented your recommended corrections. and it works great.

Thanks a lot once again.