• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Stop GMAX from Displaying Triangles

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I have a slight problem. I don't remember my copy of GMAX always working this way, and it is annoying me.

When I add an Edit Mesh to the stack, the object displays the extra faces that make the quad polygons into triangles (i.e. the normally hidden Edges). The first image shows this, and shows that Edges Only is checked ON for this object, as suggested in other threads.

But when I go to Polygon mode (in fact, any mode other than Edit Mesh or Vertex), the extra edges disappear, as in the second image.

Any ideas how to suppress the display of the extra edges until *I* want them to appear?

Thanks,

Attachments

• gmax_editmesh.jpg
    gmax_editmesh.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 342
  • gmax_polygon.jpg
    gmax_polygon.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 375
I don't think you can do that.
Mesh is triangle that compose to be other things. You always see things in many triangles. That is the way graphic card draw things for you to see in computer.

Polygon, as its name implies, can be any N-gon. Such as triangle, quadrangle and so on. You do not see the line connected between two corners.
If you don't like the line, turn it into editable poly. That cross line will disappear.

If I'm wrong, please fell free to correct my comment in yours.

mesh work with inner triangules and so are composed the planes, Poly mode not have inner triangules it's a plane, you save extra edges, etc, it's the normal way it should work.

Here is the same file on another computer - no triangles. Something *must* be different...

Attachments

• gmax_OK.jpg
    gmax_OK.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 360
In properties the "show edges" is on, is this what you mean, maybe I misunderstood your question. the viewport have all those options too.
Edit: I know what you mean, here work the same way, don't know how those edges in the other views can be deleted.

Last edited:
This may be it Tom, go into Customize > Preferences and click the Viewports tab, then "Configure Driver" and remove the checkmark from "Use wireframe faces".

Jim

Success! Thanks so much. I needed to uncheck both "Use wireframe faces" and "Display Wireframe Objects Using Triangle Strips" - I left "Use Triangle Strips" checked in case it does something else important. :)

Thanks again,

Back