• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Strange transparency in converted 3D Object faces

Hello,

I used Model Converter X to batch convert the 3D assets I created for my XP scenery to MSFS. I went from the XP obj files and they all look good in MCX.

However in the Developer Mode of MSFS, when I import and place them, some of them have strange transparency. When I move around, it's like an optical illusion making faces look in front or back of each others.

I've seen this phenomenon in the past in FSX but I can't remember what was the cause exactly

Any idea?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3DTr1.jpg
    3DTr1.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 3DTr2.jpg
    3DTr2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 277
This is a z-bias issue. I think it's not caused by MCX specifically, but by the AssimpNet.dll converter that Arno uses. I can solve the issues by batch exporting BGLs to Collada (.dae... and convert all textures to PNG), and then batch exporting those dae files to MSFS gltf. You will lose animations by converting them. It's worth a try. I converted the fsx global objects this way and it works for the most part. Also, MSFS doesn't seem to like double-sided triangles.

Also, I saved a direct gltf batch so I could use the XML files that have the original GUID, rather than using the generated GUID from the Collada -> glTF

Last edited:
This is a z-bias issue. I think it's not caused by MCX specifically, but by the AssimpNet.dll converter that Arno uses. I can solve the issues by batch exporting BGLs to Collada (.dae... and convert all textures to PNG), and then batch exporting those dae files to MSFS gltf. You will lose animations by converting them. It's worth a try. I converted the fsx global objects this way and it works for the most part. Also, MSFS doesn't seem to like double-sided triangles.

Also, I saved a direct gltf batch so I could use the XML files that have the original GUID, rather than using the generated GUID from the Collada -> glTF
Thank you! Z-bias is a familiar word I think was mentioned to me when I got this glitch back during FSX days.

I have my original Sketchup models but since they were too many and already exported to XP obj, I used MCX batch conversion to go faster.

I will go back to my original Sketchup models and export to DAE as you did and see

Thanks!

Transparency is still an issue in MSFS. This may solve some issues, but not all.

If you go from X-Plane to MSFS the assimp library is not involved. But it might be worth to check if the faces that look weird have a zbias after importing the X-Plane object. MCX will just use that value in the MSFS export as well, although I'm don't know if MSFS might require a different range or so.

If you go from X-Plane to MSFS the assimp library is not involved. But it might be worth to check if the faces that look weird have a zbias after importing the X-Plane object. MCX will just use that value in the MSFS export as well, although I'm don't know if MSFS might require a different range or so.
Thanks Arno. Is this something I can check in MCX? Because both the original XP and converted MSFS versions look good in MCX. It's just in MSFS that the glitch is visible.

I would check the material properties of the polygons that stick out in the material editor.

I would check the material properties of the polygons that stick out in the material editor.
Hi Arno, my models that look ok as well as those with the strange walls optical illusion / transparency both have the value 0 in the Material Z-Bias. Now I wonder if this is something else

Can you share a screenshot of the material settings? Maybe we can spot something from it.

What format are your textures in? I found that saving my transparency textures from Photoshop in the png format was giving me problems. I now save in dds format and not had an issue since.

Good luck
Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

What format are your textures in? I found that saving my transparency textures from Photoshop in the png format was giving me problems. I now save in dds format and not had an issue since.

You need to save them to tga format, especially when alphas are used. Photoshop doesn't recognize png format as a valid option for/ with alpha.

Can you share a screenshot of the material settings? Maybe we can spot something from it.
I imported to MCX one model that had the issue in MSFS with the Walls optical illusions. This model was the result of batch conversion from my XP models.

The reason I went from XP to MSFS is to save time when converting a lot of 3D models I did in Sketchup for XP and especially to preserve the LIT texture already assigned in the XP one instead of reassigning it for each model.

Maybe the Alpha mode should not be Blend. Or perhaps the option Double Sided could be the reason here. If this is the case then I think I can't use the Batch converter for now since the Operators do not make Material conversion to MSFS If I am not wrong?

Thanks Arno

Attachments

• Building_Walls.png
    Building_Walls.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 206
I imported to MCX one model that had the issue in MSFS with the Walls optical illusions. This model was the result of batch conversion from my XP models.

The reason I went from XP to MSFS is to save time when converting a lot of 3D models I did in Sketchup for XP and especially to preserve the LIT texture already assigned in the XP one instead of reassigning it for each model.

Maybe the Alpha mode should not be Blend. Or perhaps the option Double Sided could be the reason here. If this is the case then I think I can't use the Batch converter for now since the Operators do not make Material conversion to MSFS If I am not wrong?

Thanks Arno
@arno Hi Arno, following my reply above with the Material screenshot, I can confirm that setting the Alpha to Opaque fixes the issue. So I suppose for Batch conversions, we need to wait for MCX to have operators handling the MSFS Material settings.

Thanks

Hi,

You could make a material template that sets the Alpha Mode to Opaque and then you can use that template in your batch conversion.

Only tricky bit is that if you have objects with a real alpha channel it would have to be Blend of course.

Does your XP object not have an alpha channel at all? Because then it might be an import bug as well that the Blend value is set.

Hi,

You could make a material template that sets the Alpha Mode to Opaque and then you can use that template in your batch conversion.

Only tricky bit is that if you have objects with a real alpha channel it would have to be Blend of course.

Does your XP object not have an alpha channel at all? Because then it might be an import bug as well that the Blend value is set.
Hi Arno,

You are right, I just inspected few of my XP models. Those that have a transparency in some parts of their PNG texture sheet (ex: balcony) when imported to MCX show the Blend in their Material settings. Those with textures without transparent areas, are Opaque.

I don't have Alpha channels set in Photoshop but a simple transparency in some of the PNG areas seems enough to get the Blend showing in the Material. This is normal I think.

I did this knowing that XP requires 1 texture sheet per object hence I combined them on one sheet (opaque + transparent)

So in this case I have no choice but to go case by case with my models.

Or I need to learn how to use a Material template and set everything to Opaque.

By the way I noticed in MCX Material, the combined PBR texture for AO, Roughness and Metallic like the one in Blender is not there yet I suppose?

Thanks

Edit: I just found the Material Template in the Batch Operators and I found the Combined PBR as well can be assigned in the Template. Yet if we import the converted model to MCX the combined texture _c shows in the Metallic texture field. So I think this is where the combined must go if we convert the models manually

Last edited:
Hi,

XP material settings are not all supported yet, that's probably why the combined is missing. I'll check if I can add them.

I added some extra fields for MSFS, maybe I need to add some additional templates for that as well.

Hi,

XP material settings are not all supported yet, that's probably why the combined is missing. I'll check if I can add them.

I added some extra fields for MSFS, maybe I need to add some additional templates for that as well.
No problem, I believe I can do what I need with Batch conversion for now until MCX is updated. Thanks Arno!

Back