• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Tool for saving coordinates

Country
england
Is there a tool, say like a screen grab, that will save, with a mouse click, the Lat/Lon to a text file so those coords can be entered into an .KML file etc?

Country
england
Sorry it was difficult to explain -I'll try harder. I'm flying in FSX, top down view, and slew mode. As I move the red 'x' (User AC) the Lat/Lon show up top left screen using shift Z. If I am looking down, on say an airport apron, and I wish to record that exact coord I find that reading that coord is difficult and I don't want to stop and write down each point as there may be quite a number. So I want to slew over to a point,click the mouse and the Lat/lon are saved in a text file, then move to another point and do the same. Hope that makes a little more sense.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It's a bit convoluted but you could do this with ADE if you have a ProKey.

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
If you have not yet found a working solution, I can build you a gauge to do this.

Doug

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
Sorry it was difficult to explain -I'll try harder. I'm flying in FSX, top down view, and slew mode. As I move the red 'x' (User AC) the Lat/Lon show up top left screen using shift Z. If I am looking down, on say an airport apron, and I wish to record that exact coord I find that reading that coord is difficult and I don't want to stop and write down each point as there may be quite a number. So I want to slew over to a point,click the mouse and the Lat/lon are saved in a text file, then move to another point and do the same. Hope that makes a little more sense.
Rather more convoluted, but I plot things on Google Earth, saving them in a KML file. I then wrote code to generate aprons in XML from the KML. I then discovered I couldn't import them into ADE - still hoping Jon will make that work - but I can generate a bgl file and stick that into the scenery folder. It also lists all the coordinates in a grid, and one can click on each line and right click to extract the coordinate so it can be pasted onto an ADE Position marker. Still tedious but very accurate.

I'm now working on using simconnect with the list of coordinates so I can launch FSX and move the aircraft to precisely the position I want, then drop positions on ADE or AFLT for light positioning. If only someone will get back to me on how to send data to simconnect using C# instead of C++.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Rather more convoluted, but I plot things on Google Earth, saving them in a KML file. I then wrote code to generate aprons in XML from the KML. I then discovered I couldn't import them into ADE - still hoping Jon will make that work - but I can generate a bgl file and stick that into the scenery folder. It also lists all the coordinates in a grid, and one can click on each line and right click to extract the coordinate so it can be pasted onto an ADE Position marker. Still tedious but very accurate.

Send me an example file or two.

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
Send me an example file or two.
Hi Jon,

I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that you are referring to the import of an apron via "Import XML". If not, please let me know.

Here is a simple example of an apron, drawn to approximate to a letter M, position at Chicago O'Hare (KORD). There is the XML I have generated, and the BGL file generated from that. The screen shot just to show what it does.

Your import XML feature seems to work for Taxi Signs, but not aprons.

Martin

Attachments

• A0000.zip
    715.2 KB · Views: 233

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You are correct - for some reason aprons are not imported. In fact airport elements in general such as aprons, runways, taxiways, starts etc are not included in the import. This is because import bgl or xml is designed primarily to add scenery items including taxi signs. I will provide a list here of what is included but essentially it is items that are not part of the airport record.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
List of elements that can be imported from a bgl or xml file
  • Exclusion Rectangle
  • Taxi sign
  • Approach