• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tutorial: Approaches

Country
germany
Now I deleted the Grass Runway, so that they MUST land on the normal RUNWAY. And the result is the same as without an approachcode.
NOTHING WORKS!!!:confused::confused:

Aquila

The Grass runway at EDRY is a incomplete runway and FSX closed that runway by default. It cannot score high enough to be used as an arrival runway.

There is no need to delete that runway since it is nothing more then a piece of scenery. Writing approach code for the asphalt runway has nothing to do with the grass runway.

The arrival part of runway 17/35 is just over 4,000 ft long. That means most any GA type Airplane including the Beech KingAir 350 will land using the asphalt runway.

As time allows I will create a post on How To add a Curved Approach to any runway using the ADE Approach Mode.

Country
germany
Edfx

Hi there.
I made bad weather at EDFX and then an approaching Ai-Plane said in ATC : approaching GPS Runway 14 and it fes my approach (IFR).
But they turn to early and land beside the Rinway, bit it works only there until yet!

Oliver

Country
germany
There are 3 catagory's of approaches for planes on IFR Flightplans. VFR FP's have different rules.

1. Hardcoded FS9/FSX approach
2. Non-Weather related approaches
3. Weather related approaches.

No 1 means, if a airport exist and there are no approaches in the database for the runways then ATC directs the User and the AI plane on a fake hardcoded vectors to final approach. This fake approach is written in the .dll files.

Just to confirm:
Is nr. 1 above identical to the "fake approach" which is generated when an ILS is added via the context-menu in "Airport Design Mode" ??

And:
in which .dll of FSX is the "Fake approach" hard-coded ??

Helli

Just to confirm:
Is nr. 1 above identical to the "fake approach" which is generated when an ILS is added via the context-menu in "Airport Design Mode" ??

And:
in which .dll of FSX is the "Fake approach" hard-coded ??

Helli

Helli

The approach that ADE generates automactically is a full ILS approach (plus missed approach). A true approach would be one that has published Terminal_Waypoints for the IAF (IF) and FAF (CF) based on a current approach chart.

What ADE does is generate a set of non-published IAF and FAF T_Waypoints to create the ILS Approach Header and the line draw on the GPS Receiver. A XML approach regardless if ADE made it aurtomactically or a Designer wrote the approach in our utility is going to take precedence over any hardcoded .dll approach.

The approach that ADE makes using the non-published T_Waypoints is my no. 2 (Non-Weather related approach). User/designers are encourage to write the ILS approach using the approach mode. However if a User wants the local airport to have a ILS which may not exist in real world then a checkmark placed in the proper box will generate the non-published T_Waypoints and add the proper IF, CF, (CF Localizer) legtypes for the added ILS assigned to a runway.

The hard coded approach that FS uses if no approach exist is in the AI_player.dll. No AI Plane on a IFR Flight Plan can be denied a landing in FSX. Build a small grass airport in the middle of no where with no approaches in the database. Now create a FP using a B747-400 to that airport. Make the airport zero-zero visability and the B747 will make an approach and land as per the approach instructions in the AI_player.dll.

THe same applies to a User Airplane. If the User Airplane is on a IFR FP and its arrival airport has no approaches in the airport records then ATC falls back on the .dll approach. ATC system vectors the user to a runway for landing. The vectors to final and the FAF altitude are a fix set of values in the .dll when no approach in XML exist and these values are a set standard that we have no way of tampering with.

I call that the hard code approach in FSX since we have no way of making the AI/User Plane fly the approach based on what we could write in the ADE approach mode. The AI/User Plane is following hardcode values that is a standard set of instructions for the entire airport/runway world when no type of approach exist.

Last edited:
Country
germany
There are 3 catagory's of approaches for planes on IFR Flightplans. VFR FP's have different rules.

1. Hardcoded FS9/FSX approach
2. Non-Weather related approaches
3. Weather related approaches.

No 2 means, if the airport has a ILS and companion ILS approach code then ATC will use and say to both the user and AI plane fly the ILS approach. The FAF altitude, the missed approach altitude, the heading is runway heading + - the missed approach turn, etc. all comes from the XML approach code so the hardcode is not used.

Jim

another curiosity question, which I wanted to ask since quite some time but never got around to:

In which FSX-file is the FSX-Approach-code stored?
I guess, it is one of the several BGL-files, which, when dedompiled to XML, do allow to inspect, what FSX uses as code.

I understand, that ADE creates a corresponding XML/BGL-file which, when loaded, takes precedence over the FSX-file.
Is that correct?

Helli

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Jim

another curiosity question, which I wanted to ask since quite some time but never got around to:

I guess, it is one of the several BGL-files, which, when dedompiled to XML, do allow to inspect, what FSX uses as code.

I understand, that ADE creates a corresponding XML/BGL-file which, when loaded, takes precedence over the FSX-file.
Is that correct?

Helli

It is part of the airport record in a bgl file. Thus it is stored with the airport in APX files for stock airports in FSX or AP files for FS9.

Jim

Is that correct?

Helli

Helli

Jon has answered the question. I will elaborate a little further on the working codes that FSX honors when developing a addon airport if needed.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Approach Altitude?

Hi,
I've got a Question about the Approach-Altitude.
The Altitude i enter in the Approach Altitude box, when i create a new Approach. Is this the Altitude at the first Waypoint, when the airplanes approaches?

Thanks of helping!

Oliver

Hi,
I've got a Question about the Approach-Altitude.
The Altitude i enter in the Approach Altitude box, when i create a new Approach. Is this the Altitude at the first Waypoint, when the airplanes approaches?

Thanks of helping!

Oliver

It is the altitude that ATC will instruct the Pilot (User Plane) or AI Plane to cross the FAF Terminal_Waypoint

If you are creating a new approach what approach chart are you using

Country
germany
Approach

Hi never use a Approach Chart, because i make the Approach like i want.
And the most I create on my own Airports. There are no approachchart.:cool:

Country
germany
Approach

Hi,
can anybody please have a look at these .xml file, to look what's the fault there, because i can't compile it!:confused:

Thanks you very much.
Oliver

Attachments

• AFX_LOOM.xml
    21.6 KB · Views: 628
  • AFX_LOOK.xml
    34.7 KB · Views: 597
Oliver

You are never going to learn approaches until you take a simple small airport that has a ILS and get the proper approach chart for that airport and see how the approach is written.

Country
us-virginia
Jim: I'm trying to fix an issue with some AI (depends on approach direction) flying through terrain (hills/mountain ridges) on approach to 07R at KLAS. While working on the airport I noticed flights which generally originate from the North or NE will approach quite low and impact the high terrain which is west of the threshold.

To correct this I attempted to write a vectors to final with FAF AND IAF for 07R. I used an existing DME to set the T_waypoints and I followed the GS for 25L to provide a guide as well as visually inspecting to ensure that I was above surrounding terrain.

Unfortunately, the same AI originating from the N or NE do not seem to follow the vectors to final approach, which I included in the compilation. I can see the draw in the GPS and ATC offers a vectors to final when I tested with a user plane.

Is there a trick to writing a vectors to final with GS approach for a runway which currently is visual only?

Any advice or examples you may have would greatly be appreciated.

kagazi

kagazi

Go to AVSIM and download my FS9 KLAS. I have the curved approaches in the approach file (KLAS_ILS_jv.bgl) that you can look at with ADE v1.39 or SDE. Pay strict attention to the fake ILS for runway 07 and a fake ILS to runway 19 if you crosswind the runways.

You will find your answers in the Airport Header of each fake ILS. The heading is the approach path you want the AI Plane to fly (149 degrees). As the AI nears the 07 runway on heading 149 it will turn left on its own and align with the runway.

altitude="4299.942F"
heading="149.00"
missedAltitude="7999.927F"

Align the IAF and FAF on heading 149 also or whatever heading you use as the approach path prior to the AI Plane turning on short final. On any curved approach I do not add all the Cf,CF legs since a User plane would not see these.

You can also open the default FSX PHNL with ADE and look at the LDA Approach for rwy26L. The approach path is somewhere around 315 which the AI plane will turn to runway heading of 260 on short final.

If you want the AI Planes to fly the curved approach with VMC airport condidtions make it a ILS. If you want the AI planes to fly the curved approach under IMC only make it a LDA.

Country
us-virginia
Jim: I have examined your curved approach technique and I believe I can duplicate (with some practice) though I don't fully understand the theory behind the technique. For example, is there a hard set rule on the 1-mile turn in the technique? I'm only asking in the event I observe some AI having trouble making the turn. Based on your experience, is it possible to make the turn at 2 or 3nm out and still maintain the curved approach technique? Can the heading vary and if so is there some threshold beyond which your technique no longer works? Sorry for all the questions, but it's nice to have some basis as I think I may need to use your technique in the future.