• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ultimate Traffic Question

NMG

Country
southafrica
Guys,

Can someone who has this package, please answer the following question for me?

1. Does Ultimate Traffic have AFCAD files that it uses to modify the default airports with extra parking bays in order to accommodate more traffic?
  2. If so, where are these files installed in relation to the root directory of the Flight Sim in question?
I need this information for support reasons, please. Anyone that can help will be great!

Regards,

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I figure this is about ground network/layout compatibility?

While FS9 is pretty allergic to duplicate AFCADs, as far as I know and remember, FSX/P3D will simply pick the ground network/layout file that has the higher priority in the scenery library.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Does Ultimate Traffic have AFCAD files that it uses to modify the default airports with extra parking bays in order to accommodate more traffic?
Yes, they do that. AFSIK, they add the AFCAD to increase the parking spaces more than the default.
If so, where are these files installed in relation to the root directory of the Flight Sim in question?
They put those AFCAD in Scenery/World/Scenery folder. It is like pain in the ass! I don't know why they did that. I have problems all the time since I did VTBS. The airport in this folder (Scenery/World/Scenery) cannot overwrite by the airport in Addon Scenery folder. So they cause problems all the time, flickering ground. Users always blame me that my scenery causes problem since they add it later than UT. I get tons of email and I need to make a template to answer this problem. I cannot fix for them and I usually tell the customers that you need to feed back to the maker of UT. So they know the problem and fix it. I don't know if they fix it now but I guess they do. Since I get less email about this problem.
They can place their AFCAD in Addon Scenery folder or wherever but not that folder. Once users get the new airport and set priority over their AFCAD, every thing will be just fine.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I figure this is about ground network/layout compatibility?

While FS9 is pretty allergic to duplicate AFCADs, as far as I know and remember, FSX/P3D will simply pick the ground network/layout file that has the higher priority in the scenery library.
AFCAD is a term for a file from a specific software. The very popular Airport Design Editor does not use or create AFCAD's, but it does create airport .bgl's. Luckily, since no one uses AFCAD anymore, the confusion between these terms is less of a concern and if you have any uncertainty about this, at all, do read this article by Arno that explains it, far better than I can. https://www.scenerydesign.org/2006/09/what-is-a-afcad-file/

To get back to the question at hand, FSX and P3D incorporate all activated airport .bgls and in the case of multiple files for the same airport, will cause AI aircraft to spawn multiple instances on what appears to be the same parking spot, which is actually the same location in several active airport .bgls.

attachment.php

kmsy_double-parked_aircraft.jpg.305ae321524152a6d70353a9aa5aab05.jpg

Curiously, this second image is from Xplane, which seems to be vulnerable to the same multiple airport file issue.

Users always blame me that my scenery causes problem since they add it later than UT. I get tons of email and I need to make a template to answer this problem.
It is my belief, Tic, that many of those users simply give up. It seems like it would increase your popularity with your clients, if you would obtain copies of the AI software, learn the name of the files that affect your airport and instruct your customers exactly how to disable them. This sort of thing is easy for us, relatively, but almost as impossible as actually flying a real plane to the location of your scenery, for your customers.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
AFCAD is a term for a file from a specific software. The very popular Airport Design Editor does not use or create AFCAD's, but it does create airport .bgl's. Luckily, since no one uses AFCAD anymore, the confusion between these terms is less of a concern and if you have any uncertainty about this, at all, do read this article by Arno that explains it, far better than I can. https://www.scenerydesign.org/2006/09/what-is-a-afcad-file/

To get back to the question at hand, FSX and P3D incorporate all activated airport .bgls and in the case of multiple files for the same airport, will cause AI aircraft to spawn multiple instances on what appears to be the same parking spot, which is actually the same location in several active airport .bgls.

Curiously, this second image is from Xplane, which seems to be vulnerable to the same multiple airport file issue.

Since AFCAD was the sole - or at least by a very wide margin most popular - tool for airport design, its name became synonymous with that kind of file. Nowadays you might as well use "ADE file" and most will know what you mean.

The thing is that there is no commonly used and understood term for what these files actually do and contain. I tend to call them "airport layouts", but that only focuses on the ground routes and not the navaids or buildings. "Airport design file" is too general. An "Airport BGL" may only feature placement information for custom made buildings or objects without any ground routes whatsoever.

X-Plane is more to the point with this, as all airport related files are called "apt.dat".

And speaking of, the second screenshot is very most likely caused by missing excludes or accidential parking spot duplication. WED won't warn you about this.

NMG

Country
southafrica
Yes, they do that. AFSIK, they add the AFCAD to increase the parking spaces more than the default.

They put those AFCAD in Scenery/World/Scenery folder. It is like pain in the ass! I don't know why they did that. I have problems all the time since I did VTBS. The airport in this folder (Scenery/World/Scenery) cannot overwrite by the airport in Addon Scenery folder. So they cause problems all the time, flickering ground. Users always blame me that my scenery causes problem since they add it later than UT. I get tons of email and I need to make a template to answer this problem. I cannot fix for them and I usually tell the customers that you need to feed back to the maker of UT. So they know the problem and fix it. I don't know if they fix it now but I guess they do. Since I get less email about this problem.
They can place their AFCAD in Addon Scenery folder or wherever but not that folder. Once users get the new airport and set priority over their AFCAD, every thing will be just fine.

I am so glad to see that I am not alone in this! As you said, a major pain in the goolies!

P3D is supposed to just read the airport file at the higher scenery level, but that does not always happen and now I have problems where the wrong airport file is read and then the parking bays and the jetways do not link up with the building! It's a bloody mess!

The reason I asked, was because I told my clients what the issue was and he took it up with UT. Their reply was that they do not use airport files (AFCAD's) with their AI Traffic package! I could not believe that, but as a precaution, I though I will ask here first!

Regards,

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Since AFCAD was the sole - or at least by a very wide margin most popular - tool for airport design, its name became synonymous with that kind of file.
Not synonymous enough, apparently.
But wait, I think we are missing something here. AFCAD files are nothing else than BGL files made according to the Fs2004 XML format (BGLComp SDK). As they are made with AFCAD we tend to call them AFCAD files, but with SceneGenX or a bit of handwritten XML code you could create exactly the same BGL file. So please keep that in mind when you see the term AFCAD files next time.
https://www.scenerydesign.org/2006/09/what-is-a-afcad-file/
Nowadays you might as well use "ADE file" and most will know what you mean.
Only if they are clairvoyant. ADE makes airport files according to the FSX/P3D XML format, as well as airport files according to the FS9 XML format, therefore they are distinct from AFCAD's. The distinction is important, they are more than simple FS9 AFCAD. Airport Facilitator X (AFX) makes airport .bgls using FSX/P3D XML, but it does not use, nor recognize, "ADE files." Extending the logic of using the lowest common denominator to define something, perhaps we should call every computer generated file "file," so most will know what we mean.
This is the inherent problem with terminology. Call them what you will, but Ultimate Traffic most assuredly uses airport.bgl’s, I have used the software myself and can confirm it - but, since they don’t call them AFCAD’s either, they simply don’t exist (and therefore it’s your problem)!

The good news is that, although it is indeed your problem, it’s a relatively simple fix. The situation involves the 30k airports, or 60k airports, included with the original FSX. Whatever the number, it's only a fraction of the actual airports serving world traffic, so AI traffic developers, must add more destinations, in order to "fluff out the stock." So the problem isn't the actual traffic files, it is the bajillions of little stubish airports these software packages add, because AI traffic will not function without a valid departure/destination.
I am not sure of the UT naming convention, MyTraffic uses the ICAO code, plus a few characters to define folder location, almost as if it is set up for a user to tabulate their way to the airport they want to disable. You can use Airport Scanner to find all instances of an ICAO and disable the UT entries. The simplest solution, of all, is to disable the UT scenery layer. This will deactivate all the added airports and it is something you can ask your users to do, Tic, to prove to then that the problems are caused by an interaction between your scenery and UT.
Airport .bgl files (you call AFCAD's) are never stored in scenery/world/scenery, traffic .bgl's are and UT airport .bgl's should not be placed in addon scenery, they should be kept the the distinct UT scenery layer/folder and activated/deactivated from there. AI traffic package airport files are already set at a very low priority, somewhere down around US Cities. Addon Scenery and all addon packages reside much higher, so there should never be a need to change hierarchy to accomplish this. I believe it is confusion between the traffic .bgl's and airport bgl's that allows the assumption about the need to set priority.

Have a look at this software. Consider suggesting that your customer, who is so skilled at customizing his or her simulator to their exact specifications, take a more proprietary approach and start managing all these changes. One can type "VTBS" into the search field and explore and disable all version of VTBS that are not desired.
http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

Remember, it is not the traffic schedules that are the problem. It is the added and consequently duplicated airports, that are necessary to enable the traffic schedules.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you want proper terminology, I agree they should not be called AFCAD or ADE files, but should be named for what they contain. Someone else started calling them AFD files (Airport Facility Data), and I have tried using that in technical discussions. Jon of ADE fame also uses this term. A program called ScanAFD has also been produced.

Some examples of its use:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?310658-Afcad-editor
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/duplicate-afcads-in-fsx.13095/
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/afcad-file-not-recognized.443069/
https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?316036-Updating-the-AF-file-in-Taxigate-KMCO-for-FS

IMHO (because I always forget that maybe it should be called AFD) let's stick to AFCAD because everybody knows what you mean.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ultimate Traffic does not know what it means, nor do people who have only used P3D - "Hello, the 1980's just called and they want their AFCAD back."

:rotfl:

Mostly playing, of course.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The good news is that, although it is indeed your problem, it’s a relatively simple fix.

Not my problem to any degree.

If you want proper terminology, I agree they should not be called AFCAD or ADE files, but should be named for what they contain. Someone else started calling them AFD files (Airport Facility Data), and I have tried using that in technical discussions. Jon of ADE fame also uses this term. A program called ScanAFD has also been produced.

Oooooh, that's good.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I usually call then airport files. I like AFD, but the general simming public has consistently called them AFCADs. :(

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Have a look at this software. Consider suggesting that your customer, who is so skilled at customizing his or her simulator to their exact specifications, take a more proprietary approach and start managing all these changes. One can type "VTBS" into the search field and explore and disable all version of VTBS that are not desired.
http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

Remember, it is not the traffic schedules that are the problem. It is the added and consequently duplicated airports, that are necessary to enable the traffic schedules.
Yes, the method of solving the problem is in my template. But not all the users can do that. One of them asked me " What does folder mean?" OMG, he knew nothing about computer. I keep telling them you need to report this problem to UT too, so they know what to do with their AFD (AFCAD, ADE ...whatever but we know what we are referring to) files.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I usually call then airport files. I like AFD, but the general simming public has consistently called them AFCADs. :(
I think it shows who used FS9. I'm pretty sure if I had, I'd be staunchly holding out for tradition, as well.
Not my problem to any degree.
I think you are the only one that presumed the pronoun was directed at you, and not the person who had actually communicated with UT. My apology for allowing that uncertainty.

Yes, the method of solving the problem is in my template. But not all the users can do that. One of them asked me " What does folder mean?" OMG, he knew nothing about computer.
Remote desktop. I was working with some pretty slick 3d software, at one point and I could not get it configured properly. Instead of walking me through it, they insisted on fixing it. It was very unsettling watching the cursor flip around and folders open and move and stuff. I kept worrying the guy was going to browse my hd and find my storehouse of nyan cat videos.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Remote desktop. I was working with some pretty slick 3d software, at one point and I could not get it configured properly. Instead of walking me through it, they insisted on fixing it. It was very unsettling watching the cursor flip around and folders open and move and stuff. I kept worrying the guy was going to browse my hd and find my storehouse of nyan cat videos.
I did in once in a while but I heard that you can get viruses from the user computer as well. I am not sure if it is true.

Country
unitedstates
I did in once in a while but I heard that you can get viruses from the user computer as well. I am not sure if it is true.
Yes, IF: His (their?) PC has them, IF his AV doesn't catch and isolate them and notify him, and IF your PC's AV doesn't catch them, isolate them, and notify you, then yes, your PC can get a virus, trojan, malware, etc from the remote. They can also plant things, like a keylogger, to hide on your PC and tell them what you do where, passwords, etc.
Personally, I turn the remote capability off, on my PC's. I am not a trusting kinda guy. If they want me to do something to my software, I will go do it for them and report the result, over the phone. Hell, my PC doesn't have a webcam installed at all, and the last one that did, I covered with electrical tape, so even if "they" turned it on, well, they'd get a nice image of the blackest cave you ever saw. Again, not a trusting guy.

Besides, "they" don't need to see my cat videos, or anything else on my HD! Mine, allllll mine. My Preciousssssssss..... :rotfl:

Have fun all!
Pat☺

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I think you are the only one that presumed the pronoun was directed at you, and not the person who had actually communicated with UT. My apology for allowing that uncertainty.

Oh, so that's how you meant it. No biggie.