• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Underground base in FSX

Country
croatia
First i want apologize for my english...

I need help with one incredible airport.

Its been underground secret base in ex Jugoslavia... It was destroyed in war.

Here is an internet site from Croatian enthusiasts about this base : http://www.zeljava-lybi.com

I trying to do something on existing scenery.

For now i planned everything except underground... (don't know if underground is even possible... its possible made object in Sketchup but i don't know how to "get in" mesh...)

Base from air in FSX now look like this:

The biggest problem for now i have with mesh around the entrances.
With "cuts in the mountain"...

I was follow the steps in this thread: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/my-tunnel-jumping-up.432788/ but without any success :(

I try to do this with ADEX (add flatten polygons with individual points for set different altitude) and it looks like that:

Result of this in FSX look like this:( ( After i add taxi link the mountain "pull back" and then i have flat terrain not sloped surfaces what i want... :( )

I have done almost the same thing like on photo bellow from ADEX manuals... (i don't understand why i can get this slope in red, it's side by side with taxi link... here works and in my case not... )

I want that look like on this real picture ( ok i know its not possible exactly like this but...)

I made entrance in Sketchup and i planned to get this on the end of "cuts in mountin" what i have problems with...

Here is some other pictures about this base before i add photoreal with SbuilderX:

One my try to make this in Sketchup but when i put this in scenery it looks realy bad from the air...

One real photo from the air...

One video from inside of base:

Please people any help and proposals are welcome.... :)

Last edited:
Hello:

AFAIK, any areas that you want to see and navigate with a FS user aircraft underneath the surface of the mountain must be a textured 3D model placed on top of an airport flatten (whether "flat" or "sloped").

The areas outside the view-able and navigable interior can be FS terrain mesh modified by a "sloped flatten" to fit the terrain up to the edge of the 3D model of the underground base.

You could do this in Sketchup using the "Geolocation" feature to download Google Maps terrain mesh and aerial imagery.

You can then use:

* 1 copy as the 3D model of the mountain surface area above- and including- the view-able and navigable interior

* 1 copy as the sloped flatten of the mountain surface areas outside the 3D model's view-able and navig-able interior

You may wish to create the latter "sloped-flatten" ...using a new feature in the development version of Arno's MCX: :idea:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/2013/04/flattens-from-3d-objects/

NOTE: You would have to place scenery library objects manually on the top and sides of the 3D model of the mountain surface, as you cannot annotate that type of textured surface with Autogen.

The surrounding area of the sloped flatten would otherwise be able to display Autogen in areas where you have not placed a ground polygon or any other object which excludes Autogen.

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Gary thank you very much! :)

I tried one test with MCX... Its excellent idea to make flatten from 3D model... But unfortunately again not work in my case... :(

Here's some pictures, its easier for me explain with pictures...

First i made one very simple model in Sketchup and i exported in Collada...

Then i opened with MCX...

I add on the position... Set altitude 343 meters ( its airport altitude )

After that i converted and then i got one cvx.BGL file

I add this file in my Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and when i go make test in FSX i sow this :( ( my test object is nowhere...)

I probably doing something wrong and i don't know what... :(

I *think* that Gary was talking about putting a Sketchup model *of the mountain* on top of your airport. The sloped flatten would allow your airport to mesh with the surrounding terrain, then be covered by the Sketchup mountain.

AFAIK you cannot place objects inside FS mesh and expect to be able to taxi around inside them. You can sometimes slew into the mountain and see your objects there (until FS pops you up to the surface), but that's not very useful.

Here is an example of a modeled mountain on top of mesh - the train is at the mesh elevation (the same elevation as the airport in the background) - everything else has been elevated:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/underground-base-in-fsx.435837/#post-729241

I *think* that Gary was talking about putting a Sketchup model *of the mountain* on top of your airport. The sloped flatten would allow your airport to mesh with the surrounding terrain, then be covered by the Sketchup mountain.

AFAIK you cannot place objects inside FS mesh and expect to be able to taxi around inside them. You can sometimes slew into the mountain and see your objects there (until FS pops you up to the surface), but that's not very useful.

Indeed, Tom is correct about my suggestion to put a 3D model "shell" of the mountain on top of the airport structures. ;)

%C5%BDeljava-biha%C4%87_outside-jpg.25875

%C5%BDeljava-biha%C4%87_inside-jpg.25877

You can submerge the Blue selected polygon faces of the 3D model taxiway areas beneath the surface of the FS terrain mesh where it is modified by sloped flattens.

The front face of the 3D model mountain at the "doorways" would be cut out to the proper height and shape, by "unlocking" and editing the Google Maps terrain mesh (already textured with aerial imagery) which was downloaded into Sketchup via the built-in "Geolocation" feature.

Any areas which are "hollow" inside the mountain would need to be covered by the textured 3D model mountain itself.

A textured surface "shell" can be placed inside the 3D model mountain to form the ceilings of the interior structures.

The taxiway areas on the surface of the FS terrain mesh outside the mountain, and the "ground" of the taxiways and other areas inside the mountain ...would all be formed by the FS terrain mesh where it is modified by sloped flattens.

BTW: Be sure to set the FS terrain sliders in the FS menu scenery settings GUI to a 'full right' position to see 'full detail' in the terrain mesh ...by enabling terrain vertices at 100 percent complexity, and 1-meter elevation post intervals as discussed here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flattens.425495/page-2

PS: You already have a rather detailed ADE airport already constructed; you may wish to import some of that vector content into Sketchup for further use via the "Read AFCAD" plugin script (part of the "One Click Hangar" utility) ...as discussed here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/one-click-hangar.424466/page-7

...and as originally announced / released for download here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/one-click-hangar.424466/

Hope these ideas help a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• Željava-Bihać_Outside.jpg
    Željava-Bihać_Outside.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 2,231
  • Željava-Bihać_Inside.jpg
    Željava-Bihać_Inside.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2,085
Last edited:
Gary and Tom thank you guys very much! You two helped me a lot!

I was without a computer 6 months and now i bought new PC and i am totally rusted with Sketchup... Now i can't do even what Gary done on previous picture.

Now i start with Sketchup again, tutorials etc.etc. I must do 3D mountain and underground object and place this on right place.

I planned to make two different models in Sketchup one simply for using in FSX and another one more complex.

This is the ground plane of underground object:

One old picture of underground object:

I get on job and i will add the progress, hope very soon! :)

Thanks on more time!

Back