• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Unsupported material element map_Ks

Country
lithuania
Hello,
I am getting this error, after converting .BGL to .OBJ, [ONJReader] Unsupported material map_Ks, however I looked into it and found nothing online, and this error makes all of my buildings window parts go transparent and see through, for example:

.OBJ File:
Capture.PNG

.BGL File:
Capture.PNG

Also, any clue why am I unable to export the model AND textures with it? The textures aren't exporting just the model, but the main problem is described above.
Appreciate your time!
Regards,
AidasP

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Did you make the OBJ with MCX or with another tool?

Most formats don't include the textures, so it's normal to export the model seperately.

Country
lithuania
Hi,

Did you make the OBJ with MCX or with another tool?

Most formats don't include the textures, so it's normal to export the model seperately.
I converted bgl to obj using mcx, and textures DO work in mcx, except any other program or when exported, anyways the model works in mcx but I can’t export it to any sim and the windows are transparent.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It might be the alpha channel was used for reflection. Most other applications don't support that.

Also make sure your OBJ file and textures are in the same folder, else programs can't find the textures.

Country
lithuania
Okay, how do i fix the alpha issue? As this occurs in mcx and sim.

And, I will try that, but doesnt scenery and texture folders do the same thing? Since the bgl/obj file is pointed to that location

Country
lithuania
Okay, there is another texture with alpha on the tower that works, but what does unsupported element map_ks mean? As i feel thats the issue

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Which version of MCX are you using? The map_Ks is about the specular map.

And I'm a bit confused. You say you converted to OBJ with MCX, but you don't do that to load into FS. You must want to import it in some other tool than.

Country
lithuania
Which version of MCX are you using? The map_Ks is about the specular map.

And I'm a bit confused. You say you converted to OBJ with MCX, but you don't do that to load into FS. You must want to import it in some other tool than.
Yes i want to update the buildings a little but when i export/import the window textures are transparent. And yes , the windows are reflective so it must be using specular maps? Why is it giving an error? Is there any way to fix it?

Latest version, I downloaded it yesterday I dont remember the specific version

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I just exported a model with specular texture to OBJ and here I can import it back without any error about map_Ks not being supported.

Are you sure you downloaded the development release version and not version 1.3?

Country
lithuania
I just downloaded the development release, and i my hopes were big, but sadly, its still transparent, the window textures are gone, and I didn't get an error, but yeah.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The way FS can use your diffuse alpha channel as specular level is something very unique to the FS shader, that can not be represented in the OBJ format. So you might have to remove the alpha channel completely when you go to OBJ.

Why you need to go to OBJ to edit the object?

Country
lithuania
I can try to send you the .
The way FS can use your diffuse alpha channel as specular level is something very unique to the FS shader, that can not be represented in the OBJ format. So you might have to remove the alpha channel completely when you go to OBJ.

Why you need to go to OBJ to edit the object?
If you look my message above yours, I said no matter which file i convert the bgl to its the same thing sadly. Maybe I can somehow give you the files to play around if you have time? Just keep in mind its a scenery I paid for, and i want to modify it, I am not against sharing the file privately with you, but that’s probably against the EULA, the scenery is EYVI by aerosoft.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you remove the alpha channel from the texture then? Like I explained other applications that load your OBJ will not understand the FS shader and the OBJ file also can't store the FS specific material settings.

Coming back to the question, what kind of changes you want to make? Do you need to go to OBJ for that? You will loose information about specific material settings in this conversion.