• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 View in MCX

Country
ca-quebec
I have a Library with 13 objects in it.
When i check them they all show up except there is one that do not show in the screen (screen is blank/empty) and one that is to close (i have to zoom out).

When i am on the that object ( that do not show up ), I have to click on [ reset view ] then on [ default view ] then it show up in the middle of the screen but very small / far away.
I have to zoom in to see the object.

Question: Is there a way to keep that object so that the next time a look at it, it will show up at the zoom i just chose?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Click the Display Bounding Box button and see what the box looks like. If it's very large, that's why it displays so small.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Like Tom says the model probably contain something (an attachpoint or so) that causes the bounding box to get huge. Or you might have found a bug in MCX.

If you can't figure out why the bounding box is so big, I can have a look at the BGL file.

Country
ca-quebec
i cannot see what is wrong . The bounding box seem OK and dont see no attachpoint.

Here is the BGL file . Maybe you can see my problem.
Specially with «Jumptower animated1»

Attachments

• Fra-Esp-FSX.BGL
    2 MB · Views: 143

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'll have a look.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The answer is actually in the name of the object already, it's the animation. The object has one weird model part that is animated until 1 million meter under the ground. This messes up the calculation of the bounding box.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I just removed that one part, it seems to be a small part anyway. But maybe it was put in on purpose.

Country
ca-quebec
I'm trying to open/edit the .MDL but i cannot find how to?

What program do you use to open/edit the .mdl file ?

I know that the MDL tweaker does not work...

Country
unitedstates
I just quickly read thru your post and I may be coming in here during the 7th inning stretch, so please forgive, but you can certainly open an MDL with MCX and you can edit such things as "name" and GUID. With the "attached object editor" you can make some mods to attachpoints or add same. To change such things as texture files and names, I have found it necessary to "export" the the MDL to a format such as 3ds max and then work with is with a program such as Blender or Gmax.
Again, I apologize if I have totally missed the point of your open/edit an MDL.
Lemon

To change such things as texture files and names, I have found it necessary to "export" the the MDL to a format such as 3ds max and then work with is with a program such as Blender or Gmax.
Nope, you can do that in the material editor. But you cannot modify the UV mapping of the textures as that has to be done in the program you made your model with.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

To edit the MDL file (i.e. remove that part) you use the Hierarchy Editor. Click the Highlight Selected box, click through the parts on the left until the one you want turns red, and click Remove. In the Hierarchy Editor you can also change the animation variable used, as well as set a visibility condition.

A short description of the Hierarchy Editor is included in this page of my FS2004 aircraft conversion tutorial:

http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/part2.html

Hope this helps,

Country
unitedstates
Nope, you can do that in the material editor. But you cannot modify the UV mapping of the textures as that has to be done in the program you made your model with.
Roby, WOW...I gotta try that!! THANKs for the insight/education!
Lemon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What I did was check in the hierarchy editor which part gives the enormous bounding box and then I removed those nodes.

Country
unitedstates
Roby,
Holy smoke!!! It works! I used the Material Editor as you instructed...BOOM!....like a champ, Exactly what I wanted and 1000x faster and easier than my suggestion... :)

Arno, Thank you for MCX...its awesome!!

Lemon