• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Who's Ready For a Stupid Question?

Country
ca-ontario
I'm working on a project where, in the past, I've added "generic buildings" which are much taller than the ones in the generic building dialogue. For the life of me, I can't remember how I did it. How can I add buildings which are more than one or two stories tall?

No such thing as a stupid question...................
i go to an airport that has the taller "Generic" building i need and copy it over to my airport, the manual shows you how to add it to the ADE list to use again and take a thumbnail of it,
you cant change the altitude of a Generic building, you can only change the altitude of Library objects............

But I know for a fact that I've added taller buildings before, without copying them. There must be an easy way I'm overlooking.

Hi,

Yes, different versions have different lists. For example I sent Jon quite a few buildings for FS9, but they are not in the default FSX version.

Excellent tutorial, Helli ! :yikes:

I often forget to mention the FSDeveloper resources in my recommendations; thanks for the heads up. :)

Regards,

GaryGB

If you have any of the earlier versions of ADE copy the "Generic Buildings" over to the latest version of "Generic Buildings" then you may find the building you are looking for,
if you have the original ad2/3/4 file with the building you are requiring then copy it from that to your new file, then save it

You were never able to build Generic Buildings from scratch with ADE AFAIK.

Really? I have fields with much bigger generic buildings than what I see in the dialogue, and I know they were created with ADE. And there used to be at least one with a pointed roof, and I don't see any of those options anymore.

Attachments

• 2016-6-17_23-18-33-303.jpg
    2016-6-17_23-18-33-303.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 264
The FS9 Generic Buildings in ADE9 are much different than the FSX Generic Buildings in ADEX.

I cannot say if they are interchangeable or not (though I suspect they might be). The texture callouts might be different between sim versions.

You could try...

Back up everything first.

Copy the contents of ...\Airport Design Editor 165\FS9\GenericBuildings

...and paste it to...

...\Airport Design Editor 165\FSX\GenericBuildings

Note your paths might be different depending on what version of ADE you are using.

cheers,
Lane

Be aware that all ADE version that I can recall ship with the same basic set of generic buildings so there is no difference between versions. However users will save buildings themselves to use elsewhere and thus the list will change. If you go to a new version then you will get the shipped list back. However you can use the Import Settings and Data function to copy over buildings from an older version.

ADE has never had a tool to create generic buildings.

No, I made them from scratch, using ade! I don't no how I pulled it off though.

Was there at one point a way to specify height?

Last edited:
No, I made them from scratch, using ade! I don't no how I pulled it off though.

Was there at one point a way to specify height?

Do you have a ProKey? If so then yes you can make changes directly to the source by using the raw data view. Select an existing generic building and use ctrl+Enter to get the RDV

upload_2016-6-19_11-43-56.png

At this point you could change a lot of values for the building including changing the SizeY values. If you know what texture numbers are involved then you could change them as well and redesign the building. I had not really thought about it much before but ADE does have the ability of sorts to design generic buildings provided you start with something as a base.

Back