• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Suggestions for injected animated windsock or SODE windsock placement shell

Country
netherlands
Hello devellopers!
I am just a user of objects with Instant Scenery and such tools. I am aware of the possibility to add an animated windsock that reacts at the windspeed and direction, by using the fabulous SODE tool. However, after studying some instructions at the SODE website, my head 'crashed' and I decided this was too complicated for me.

But a real working animated windsock is still very important for me. At the mountain airstrips I try to create or 'eyecandy', generally the only information for the pilots about weather is provided by the windsock.

Therefore I was thinking of an existing ai tools and as well an existing tool that adds flying birds around the userplane. These tools inject objects in flightsimulator.
Could this technology be used to create a animated windsock. in movements and activity looking like a animated flag, that does already exist.
So a tool that reads the windspeed and direction from e.g. FSUIPC and that injects an animated windsock at a defineble place in the scenery...
Or is this actually what SODE does?

If that is the case, would it be possible to create a more easy to use windsock-shell that uses SODE, in which a user can just fill in the the location at which the windsock should be standing, the size of the it, and if possible the type of windsock? I could absolute not do it myself, but I know among you, are very talented programmers and devellopers... :)

Thanks for considering the idears.
Regards,
Bram Stikkel

Country
portugal
Hi

I had readed the documentation and I don't know why I get lost too. But reading again and using the examples it becames easy to use / implement.

Check the example provided by SODE team and you will see that you can use any sock in mdl form. Is just necessary to put the coordinates in 2 places on the xml: the data provider and the sock object.

Is not possible to me to show you how now, but if someone else do not help you, I will explain here by screenshots.

Br.
Mário

https://www.facebook.com/Sim3dge

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bram:

Try these:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/animated-windsocks.214/

< AFAIK, that older FS9 format version of this scenery object may now be for personal use on your own computer only. >

Import the MDL you wish to use into ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"), and then export as FSX Scenery BGL.

Try to place it as a scenery library object using MCX or Instant Scenery in FSX.

Be sure to test it for proper animation with a user assigned weather attribute of a ex: 16 Knots wind in a specified direction to see if the BGLComp XML placement Heading must be rotated to correctly report the wind direction at run time in FSX.

If it will not animate in FSX, and/or if you instead use P3D, SODE may still be required.

Otherwise you may wish to use the older FS9 format version of this scenery object in FSX.

[EDITED]

FYI: The FS9 MDL-format, animated windsock cited above is already available packaged as a scenery object library BGL inside:

British Columbia PNW Tofino by Mike Mann:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=tofinobases.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

[tofinobases install path]\FSX BC PNW Tofino\BCPNWFloatBases\scenery\Windsock.bgl

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Hi

I had readed the documentation and I don't know why I get lost too. But reading again and using the examples it becames easy to use / implement.

Check the example provided by SODE team and you will see that you can use any sock in mdl form. Is just necessary to put the coordinates in 2 places on the xml: the data provider and the sock object.

Is not possible to me to show you how now, but if someone else do not help you, I will explain here by screenshots.

Br.
Mário

https://www.facebook.com/Sim3dge
Thanks, Mario,
Problem is at this moment, my head does not function anymore as good as it should to grab things that are new.
But thanks for the encouragement and offer to provice screenshots.
For now, I first wait for someone who can provide a very simple user friendly solution :)
Thanks again!
Bram

Country
netherlands
Hi Bram:

Try these:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/animated-windsocks.214/

Import into ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"), and then export as FSX Scenery BGL.

Try to place it as a scenery library object using MCX or Instant Scenery in FSX.

Be sure to test it for proper animation with a user assigned weather attribute of a ex: 16 Knots wind in a specified direction to see if the BGLComp XML placement Heading must be rotated to correctly report the wind direction at run time in FSX.

If it will not animate in FSX, and/or if you instead use P3D, SODE may still be required.

Otherwise you may wish to use the older FS9 format version of this scenery object in FSX; let me know if you need it in a PM.

AFAIK, that older FS9 format version of this scenery object may now be for personal use on your own computer only.

GaryGB
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the explaination!
I do recognize most of the tools have ever tried to work with them indeed.
Can you explain what is the meaning of "user assigned weather attribute of a ex: " ? ;-)

Thanks!
Bram

Country
us-illinois
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the explanation!
I do recognize most of the tools have ever tried to work with them indeed.
Can you explain what is the meaning of "user assigned weather attribute of a ex: " ? ;-)

Thanks!
Bram

See if this tutorial explains the process adequately; if not let me know and I shall attempt to explain it further. :)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mdl-scenery-object-what-do-i-do.437568/post-747715

NOTE: Substitute the animated windsock already available packaged as a scenery object library BGL inside:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=tofinobases.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

[tofinobases install path]\FSX BC PNW Tofino\BCPNWFloatBases\scenery\Windsock.bgl

...for the "animated windsock by 'jdberg' & Arno" I referred to as an example, in the tutorial I have linked to above. ;)

GaryGB

Country
netherlands
See if this tutorial explains the process adequately; if not let me know and I shall attempt to explain it further. :)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mdl-scenery-object-what-do-i-do.437568/post-747715

NOTE: Substitute the animated windsock already available packaged as a scenery object library BGL inside:

...for the "animated windsock by 'jdberg' & Arno" I referred to as an example, in the tutorial I have linked to above. ;)

GaryGB
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the extra info.
This FS2004 windsock you point at, is this a usable and fully functioning windsock allready to add with e.g. Instant Scenery, or must it be steered by SODE too?
And is it usable in P3Dv4 too ?

I will also try to read the post you have linked to.

Thanks for the ongoing info :)
Bram

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...e-windsock-placement-shell.443203/post-803041

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the extra info.

This FS2004 windsock you point at, is this a usable and fully functioning windsock already to add with e.g. Instant Scenery, or must it be steered by SODE too?

SODE is not required; just place the FS2004 format windsock cited above via Instant Scenery with the proper MAG. heading.

No, AFAIK, P3D requires a special gauge, executable, DLL or other module such as SODE which communicates via SimConnect in order to access the necessary FS variables.

To use a non-default windsock in P3D, you need to use ex: the windsocks offered by Christian Bahr linked above via SODE.

GaryGB

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
What Gary writes is true, can only confirm that.

To get a cute animated windsock in the P3DV2+ that reacts dynamically to the wind, SODE is a good choice. The program SODE is used worldwide by Payware.- and freeware developers. SODE is the link between dynamic wind objects in P3DV2+. But also beyond wind objects. SODE offers features that the P3DV2+ does not offer on its own and in free flight. As an alternative, you can write your own EXE file with some programming skills, for example controlling a windsock. Another technique aims at tweaking the MDL wind object file, but this is probably only possible for diehard developers or programmers.

Country
netherlands
Well, thanks for all the tips and idears. I am going to play with them for a while, see, what I can achieve :)
Maybe I must take some more time to study working with SODE...
Thanks again, you all !

Country
portugal
Hi

Sorry for late feeback.

So let consider that you already have several mdl's of animated windsocks for several wind speeds. Download SODE demos to use the layout of the files described bellow.
When SODE is installed, it will create a briefcase inside of C:\ProgramData
Inside that new path that I don't remember you will find two briefcases: xml and SimObjects.

On xml you will create your scenery xml file that will contain:
a.jpg

Then you can replace the content by your own info:
B.jpg

Connection between the xml and the files in SimObjects:

c.jpg

The rest of the configuration inside of SimObjects:

d.jpg

The Windsock_Fast.mdl is the object for fast wind condition.

It could be not very clear, but I hope that helps.

Br.
Mário Cera

Country
netherlands
Mário, thank you very much for your lots of effort to explain the way to setup the animated windsock, using SODE.
I will take a time of enough concentration to study the information and see what I can reach :)
Thanks again, your help is appreciated very much!

Country
greece
Hi all,

I installed the windshock by Christian Bahr in FSX using SODE and the guidelines you wrote above. The animation works excellent! However, I see the windshock but not the column that supports it. The .mdl file contains a column, the texture is the same but despite all that it is not present in the sim.
Any possible explanation why?

Thank you!

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi all,
I installed the windshock by Christian Bahr in FSX using SODE and the guidelines you wrote above. The animation works excellent! However, I see the windshock but not the column that supports it. The .mdl file contains a column, the texture is the same but despite all that it is not present in the sim.
Any possible explanation why?
Thank you!

Hi.

I uploaded a new version. The new version 2.0 now includes the Windsock pole as MDL file. Hope it helps :)

FSDeveloper Resource Link: Animated Windsocks

Country
greece
Thanks for the immediate answer!
There is a pole in the .mdl file when I open it with MCX but this pole is not shown in fsx. However I just noticed that there is a separate pole.mdl file in the version 2.0
Must this .mdl file also be placed for the pole to be shown correcty?
If this is the case, could I create a custom pole and place it outside SODE as a .bgl file instead (in the same position I mean)? Could this affect the animation or anything else?

Thanks!

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thanks for the immediate answer!
There is a pole in the .mdl file when I open it with MCX but this pole is not shown in fsx. However I just noticed that there is a separate pole.mdl file in the version 2.0
Must this .mdl file also be placed for the pole to be shown correcty?
If this is the case, could I create a custom pole and place it outside SODE as a .bgl file instead (in the same position I mean)? Could this affect the animation or anything else?
Thanks!

You have all options open.

You can either create your own windsock pole and place it with SODE. Or you can place your own windsock pole as a Lib object in a BGL file. Or you take the Windsock pole from the new version 2.0. You just have to make sure that the pole is in the same geographical position (LAT & LON) as the windsock. But no matter how you place the pole, it does not affect the animation.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Christian:

Many thanks for your consideration in making you windsock without the pole, as there are uses for that in some scenery.

Thanks as well for making the separate pole available for those that need the more common scenery configuration.

PS: Is it possible at some time in the future, for you to also release a FSX (FS9-compatible) legacy format version of your 'SODE-only' animated windsock, to use as an alternative to the original windsock from Joerg Dannenborg and Arno ? :scratchch

That original windsock is only available with a 'visible' pole.

Some airfield windsocks have different pole mounts that do not have the type of pole 'mount' used in that (or the FS default) configuration, and which instead are attached via t-bars, hooks, on cables etc. which 'we' may need to 3D model.

1552240095249.png

1552320322911.png

1552321061392.png

Many thanks in advance for your consideration on that possible "legacy" format windsock version.

Thanks as well, for making available your current innovative P3D-compatible SODE-based windsock version. :)

Regards,

GaryGB

Attachments

• 1552240610427.png
    1552240610427.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 471
  • 1552240658266.png
    1552240658266.png
    520.9 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi Gary.

So, first of all. The windsocks included in the zip archive work in both the FSX and the P3D. Whether they work in the FS9 I do not know. Does SODE support the FS9 at all? no idea.

In recent years, I have always put great emphasis on individual objects to bring the respective airfield created by me as closely as possible to the real role model. Among these individual objects are the windsocks. Some windsocks are attached to simple poles, other wind socks have a frame and other windsocks are attached to buildings/hangars:

windsocks_bahrometrix.jpg

Collection of Bahrometrix Windsocks

However, these windsocks are either tied to projects or they are licensed and used in payware.

So, even if I wanted, I could not publish it here as a resource. Therefore, the user must resort to the current and simply designed windsock back. If I guess that, then most of the scenery designers are happy with this windsock. It's just an offer to those developers who do not have the opportunity to create their own windsock. Most developers probably create their own windsock individually tailored to the airfield/airport.

But you never know, maybe I'll take your idea once. But I do not promise :)