• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 LWM LOD13 problem

Country
spain
Hi

I'm learning how create my own LWMs to modify coasts. Right now I'm using SBuilderX for exporting shape files into SBX to make them compatible with SBuilder9.

But I've found that, after the compilation, several LOD13 fill other contiguous LOD13:
01.jpg

BTW It's the coast of Kodiak island. The data has been taken from open streetmaps and I sliced it accordly its LODs (from LOD8 to LOD13) in QGIS (sadly Sbuilder cut all the polys into LOD13 quads).

Let's focus in one of them. This one is just in front of Kodiak Airport (PADQ).
02.jpg

After check the vertex, all seem correct. None of them are outside the boundaries of its LOD13. But...

LOD13.jpg

(I've attached the .sbx of this poly)

Why could it happen this behaviour?

Thank you for your time

Attachments

• LOD13_205.zip
    948 bytes · Views: 251
Country
us-illinois
Hi Jose:

Until I get some time free (possibly later today ?) to reply, you may wish to try testing Luis Sa's SBX3TO2 utility for converting SBuilderX format *.SBX files to SB205 format *.SBX files:

GaryGB

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This happens a LOT in SBuilder9 (205). Many times, you can simply delete the square filled error, and the correct LWM tile will be hiding underneath it. The problem is in the way SBuilder9 translates the code to SCASM for compilation. No way to fix it unfortunately as this is all coded in VB6. Sometimes a tile will have the water and land inverted... an even worse error.

Been there, and done that for CFS2:

Last edited:
Country
spain
Hi Jose:

Until I get some time free (possibly later today ?) to reply, you may wish to try testing Luis Sa's SBX3TO2 utility for converting SBuilderX format *.SBX files to SB205 format *.SBX files:

GaryGB

Hi Gary, I actually use SBX3TO2 (sorry, I forgot mention it in my previous post). The last weeks I have been searching information about LWM in FS9 and I found the reference to this util in the sbuilder forum. Very useful.

This happens a LOT in SBuilder9 (205). Many times, you can simply delete the square filled error, and the correct LWM tile will be hiding underneath it. The problem is in the way SBuilder9 translates the code to SCASM for compilation. No way to fix it unfortunately as this is all coded in VB6. Sometimes a tile will have the water and land inverted... an even worse error.

Been there, and done that for CFS2:

This is problem. My intention, like your CFS2 project, is update the default LOD5 with data from OSM. But the number of LOD13 with this problem so is high, that the task is almost impossible to do it by hand.

Another problem I've found is Sbuilder cut up all the polys into LOD13 quads. Like in your files, I have subdivide the polys into progressive LODs (from LOD8 to LOD13), but Sbuilder (using SCAM, I suppose) cuts them all into the smaller LOD13. So, I think the initial idea of generate a massive amount of LWM with SBuilder it's not feasible.

The alternative would be generate them directly, but, until now, call my attention that there is not information about how generate LWM without SBuilder, Ground2k or Slartibartfast. I vaguely remember, from the years in AVsim Scenery Forum, something about the tdfmacros, but after searching there, I almost haven't found information about it or how create source files to compile them into LWM using BGLC. I've checked FS2004 SDK too, but it only describe the BGL structure, not about how generate them. I'll check FS2002 SDK, maybe found there someting more about this topic.

Anyway, any clue about how generate this files, would be very useful.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
All I can say is Slartibartfast is your friend. You can make batch files to process the data. For slarti you'd need to convert the OSM data to imagery

Country
spain
First of all, I haven't used Slartibarfast before, my knowledge about it is none, so the first thing came to my mind is: if we use imagery instead vector, wouldn't we lost information/resolution? What would be the size, aprox, of an LOD05 converted into a bitmap?

Let me ask you: For your massive CFS2 project, did you use Slartibartfast? Because its scope is huge.

BTW I've been checking FS2002 SDK and, again, no info about how create LWM polys. I'm asking myself about why that information is so elusive. Until FSX, MS didn't release any information about how generate this kind of vector data.

Again, thank you for your time.

Best regards.

Country
spain
If anyone is interested too about the reasons of why is so difficult to find information about the LWM generation and the BGL format in general, in this post will find a lot of very interesting points

Best rergads