• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS fspackagetool no longer displays console when building package since SU6

Country
unitedkingdom
Has anybody else experienced this? I use the fspackagetool a lot to build packages and check for console errors before building or launching in MSFS

It appears that this tool has not been updated since 14th January 2021 and whilst it does its job of building packages it no longer shows the console which means you cannot see any errors OR (as importantly) when the process has finished?!!!

This appears to have changed after SU6 update.

:oops:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I have the Steam version. My work-around is a batch file:

Code:
rmdir "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\_PackageInt" /q /s
rmdir "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\Packages" /q /s

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\AirportProject.xml" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport"

pause

The rmdir removes the temp and packages files (a Clean All). The pause holds the window open. The D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator is the MSFS executable app. The -I";" BuildAssestPackages is the instruction to make the package, followed by the path of the project XML and the path of the workspace and the path of the final packages folder.

For fans of PowerScript, here's a .ps1 file:

Code:
Remove-Item "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\_PackageInt" -Force  -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Remove-Item "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\Packages" -Force  -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\AirportProject.xml" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport"

pause

As mamu points out, go to the link he provides an let Asobo know they screwed it up.

Country
australia
Yes, the console is no longer outputting information.

Just so you know, the fspackagetool doesn't actually compile the files. That is done by something in the MSFS package (as you can see in rhumbaflappy's post it is FlightSimulator but with the -I input and BuildAssetPackages command). fspackagetool is simply a program that calls another program to do all the work so there is no need for fspackagetool to be updated.

Country
france
Yes, we know the fspackagetools does not build the project. However, to ensure the build is finished, without the console infos, what i am doing now is to open the taskmanager, and see when the Flightsimulator.exe launched by the fspackagetools.exe has finished.
When all is good, it's OK, but when there is an error, i am not able to investigate anymore.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
same.

I also work with a lot of different model builds so it is not easy for me to make 1 batch file - all possible but hugely time consuming that disrupts workflow.

In my "other life" if I created shoddy work like this I would be out on my ear in no time.

Appreciate the enormity of the sim.... but come on.... this is basic 101 level testing of core dev tools surely? This isn't a runway light bulb that is slightly blurry at a certain altitude..... this is a core dev tool that many have built into their daily workflows.

yawn.... and moan over

D

Deleted member 12476

Yes, we know the fspackagetools does not build the project. However, to ensure the build is finished, without the console infos, what i am doing now is to open the taskmanager, and see when the Flightsimulator.exe launched by the fspackagetools.exe has finished.
When all is good, it's OK, but when there is an error, i am not able to investigate anymore.
Yeah, that's exactly my problem. Flightsimulator.exe is crashing without completing the build and I have absolutely no idea as to why because I don't have any feedback from the console.

Country
italy
Country
italy
Ms Store or steam installation?
if ms Store, Did you also Copy the .dll as well the .exe in your root package folder?

If steam, did you follow each of the required steps?

Also make sure to disable your antivirus software for that specific files

Does your package compiles correctly in internal compilerr( without fspackagetool?)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12476

@mamu So it seems that my initial project has too many tiles to compile (it crashed around 3500 tiles compiled) and it crashed when building. I've tried a smaller package with around 500 tiles to be compiled and everything worked flawlessly.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Using the new fspackagetool from Asobo kind-of works for the Steam version, if you properly jump through all their hoops. When doing so, I get this on exiting the SteamCmd process window:

Code:
!! Steam controller device opened for index 0.
Game process removed: AppID 1250410 "D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe -I ; BuildAssetPackages C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn\Basic-LakeLawn.xml C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn  Mirror Force CheckOut", ProcID 13156

This is essentially the same process as the above batchfile code. So I suggest NOT to use the fspackagetool for the Steam version, but to use a batchfile to directly call the sim with the build information, and bypass the defective fspackagetool.

Country
france
Using the new fspackagetool from Asobo kind-of works for the Steam version, if you properly jump through all their hoops. When doing so, I get this on exiting the SteamCmd process window:

Code:
!! Steam controller device opened for index 0.
Game process removed: AppID 1250410 "D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe -I ; BuildAssetPackages C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn\Basic-LakeLawn.xml C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Basic-LakeLawn  Mirror Force CheckOut", ProcID 13156

This is essentially the same process as the above batchfile code. So I suggest NOT to use the fspackagetool for the Steam version, but to use a batchfile to directly call the sim with the build information, and bypass the defective fspackagetool.
Sorry to say that i cannot be agree with you. Launching the MSFS process directly with the BuildAssetPackages command does not display the console, even if i remove the _PackageInt and the Packages folder (which is what your batch does). It also displays the steam app warning to be able to run the command properly. But even when i authorize the command to run, the console does not display and MSFS still runs in the background. Since the start (the last week SU6 update), the problem is not in the build process, the problem is only the display of the console command. Projects still build correctly if correctly created, but when they are not, and an error occurs, we have no info on what goes wrong without the console. And I don't want to launch MSFS in the background whenever i build my process automatically.
The only way to display the console actually, when launching the build from an extra process, is to use the modified fspackagtool from MS/Asobo. But you pointed out a remaining issue: the updated fspackagetool kills the steam process, and disconnects the user from steam.
So i have to manually reconnect my account to steam if i want to launch MSFS again.

Best regards

Country
france
Also tried this command:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ; BuildAssetPackages F:\MSFSProjects\Edinburgh\frankfurt.xml F:\MSFSProjects\Frankfurt F:\MSFSProjects\Frankfurt Mirror CheckOutputTimestamps Force Console -FastLaunch

And it still does not display the console.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Asobo are looking at it but it may be that changes have been made to the way the SU6 main sim executable works and it may not be possible to patch round it with changes to the package tool.

The workarounds I have found (MS sim version) seem to be either to use the package tool from the original SDK 15 or if things hang (ADE 2020 hangs with the patch) to use the task manager to end the fspackagetool task in the task manager after closing the console window.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Also tried this command:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ; BuildAssetPackages F:\MSFSProjects\Edinburgh\frankfurt.xml F:\MSFSProjects\Frankfurt F:\MSFSProjects\Frankfurt Mirror CheckOutputTimestamps Force Console -FastLaunch

And it still does not display the console.
I think I found the difference between our systems. I have Steam start when Windows starts, so it is active. If I close Steam, the batchfile doesn't start the console. If I open Steam again, it will run with the console.

Last edited:
Country
france
I think I found the difference between our systems. I have Steam start when Windows starts, so it is active. If I close Steam, the batchfile doesn't start the console. If I open Steam again, it will run with the console.
My steam is also launched at startup, so i don't think the difference is here (but there should be any: I trust what you said, and that's why i checked it as soon as you proposed it, before MS/Asobo proposed their workaround).

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
They still don't have it right for Steam. You should be able to drag'n'drop your XML project file onto the fspackagetool icon and it should compile with a console open until closed.

I made a C# program to create a batchfile that should be able to run, compiling an XML project file. Just drag'n'drop the XML onto the 'CreateCompileBatch.exe' icon, and a batchfile will be generated in your project folder that holds the project XML. Double-click the generated batchfile and you will get a Clean ALL and a Build All equivalent. If you need to recompile, just double-click the batch file again. Keep the CreateCompileBatch.exe right on th desktop for convenience.

It finds the Steam folder from the registry install entry and the FlightSimulator file in the \\steamapps\\common\\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\\ sub-folder. It then writes all the needed files and folders to the batchfile. This is for the Steam version only. It completely bypasses the fspackagetool.

Edited:

Updated the tool slightly and included the C# VS code. Using the batchfiles produced, you can compile several projects simultaneously.

Attachments

• CreateCompileBatch.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited: