• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS ADE and FS2020

Country
unitedstates
Hi Jon

how's it going with ADE For MSFS? Is there a web page i can go to to get the latest updates on the ADE for MSFS?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No web site.

ADE for MSFS can
  • Create MSFS projects with multiple asset groups - Airports, Models and Materials
  • New projects can be created from scratch, from an existing ADE project, or from FSX default airports
  • Most elements of an airport can be managed, There are some that no longer work and some new ones
  • Handles MSFS object libraries via the LOM
  • Handles glTF user models
  • Creates Projected Meshes
  • Builds projects using the SDK
  • Projects can be used with internal tools (one way)
  • Deals with the differences between MS and Steam supplied versions of MSFS
ADE for MSFS cannot yet
  • Handle polygons such as exclusion polys
  • Edit new properties and elements via the common property dialog (the RDV property grid is needed
  • Do any terraforming
  • Read a Project created outside ADE
  • Handle a project both ways between itself and the internal tools, You can load an ADE project into the internal tools but making changes internally stops the project being used by ADE again
  • Read base MSFS airports.
  • Provide any support for custom GPs (these may no longer work)
It is still in alpha and the changes required are much more significant than say the changes between FSX and P3D.

Country
germany
Hi Jon,

any updates on the progress? 4 weeks have passed ...
ADE for MSFS can
  • New projects can be created from scratch, from an existing ADE project, or from FSX default airports
ADE for MSFS cannot yet
  • Read base MSFS airports.
It is still in alpha and the changes required are much more significant than say the changes between FSX and P3D.
"from an existing ADE project"; does it also mean projects created for FS2004 / P3D etc ?

"Read base MSFS airports."; well, does it seem to limit the usefulness of ADE for MSFS, at least until that feature might be added?

Thx for your great contribution to the community!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes that means you can load an existing ADE project for FSX/P3D and save it as a project for MSFS

The latest internal alpha is reading MSFS base files. Here are some examples

EGNM Leeds Bradford

1606974538100.png

KHUT Hutchinson Mun

1606974765458.png

EDDF Hamburg

1606975145593.png

One thing we have noticed is that MSFS base airports contain many more aprons, taxi links and taxi points than their FSX equivalent. For example the MSFS EDDF as 848 aprons, 5724 taxi links and 4386 taxi points. The FSX version has 13 Aprons, 1010 taxi links and 659 taxi points.

I am hoping that we will go into beta by early January and there will be the first 'public' release then. Progress continues to be slow due to the differences between MSFS and FSX

Country
belgium
Oh, January already! It's a sign 2021 will be a good year. :D
I love how fast this is coming along. ;)

Will we be able to edit hand built airports? (standard only, or deluxe too?)
And what about payware?

Are we able to assign airline codes to aprons?

I'd love to buy EBBR when it releases, but probably I also want to edit its parking codes. :D

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am not able to answer that yet. ADE will read a MSFS bgl file but not if it is encrypted. We can assign airline codes to parking spaces. How well this work in MSFS (i.e. will it take any notice of those codes) is not yet properly tested.

Country
us-newyork
From my experience using the IVAO AI package for offline AI traffic in MSFS, if the airport's parking space ICAO code matches the AI livery's code, the AI will park at the correct spot. That assumes that everything else about the parking spot (size, type, etc.) is suitable for that model.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is also a similar attribute named for manufacturers

Country
belgium
Good to know that it still works! :)
Now all we need from the MSFS devs is a way to set apron stands to Domestic/Schengen/International/combination. Though I guess this will remain a dream. ^^

Country
germany
Thanks Jon for the heads up and the encouraging outlook!

Just wanted to ask again, can FS2004 ADE projects also be loaded, or is it just from FSX upwards ...

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I expect an FS2004 project will load provided it has an .ad4 extensions

Country
france
Hello,
After having modeled the astronomical Observatory of the Pic du Midi in Bigorre (France), I would like to set up an "afcad" of 15x11 meters on the helicopter surface located at an altitude of 2889 meters.
The problem is that a runway is automatically inserted !!!
How to do so that this runway does not appear?
Thanking you

Country
germany
Yes that means you can load an existing ADE project for FSX/P3D and save it as a project for MSFS

The latest internal alpha is reading MSFS base files. Here are some examples

EGNM Leeds Bradford

View attachment 65828

KHUT Hutchinson Mun

View attachment 65829

EDDF Hamburg

View attachment 65830

One thing we have noticed is that MSFS base airports contain many more aprons, taxi links and taxi points than their FSX equivalent. For example the MSFS EDDF as 848 aprons, 5724 taxi links and 4386 taxi points. The FSX version has 13 Aprons, 1010 taxi links and 659 taxi points.

I am hoping that we will go into beta by early January and there will be the first 'public' release then. Progress continues to be slow due to the differences between MSFS and FSX
EDDF is Frankfurt not Hamburg (EDDH)