• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Error: Funny Spoilers Effect

Country
germany
Hello Guys,

I hope I'm right in this part of the forum - at least aircraft modellers might be able to give me a good clue how to solve this.

The problem: Spoilers on the left and right wing behave differently, most likely to any change which I don't remember. The funny thing: It's not one model, it's the same with all (jet) aircraft I checked yet, which are mostly default ones. The right side spoiler is always half open, when the left one is down. Activating them with # lets the right one go fully up, while the left one goes on half. There's no way anymore to bring them both down, or to arm them for landing.

Does anyone of you have an idea what might be wrong? Thank you very much,

Mick

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
First of all, your problem has absolutely nothing to do with aircraft modeling, but is a general FSX issue. So this is the wrong forum.

Second, check your controller axis assignments or other input devices. Or FSUIPC settings.

Country
germany
First of all: Thank you ;) Since there's no forum for "funny effects found on default models", I assumed that the modelers here would at least be able to give me a clue where to look. And look, even "the second worst FSX developer" (I wonder who would be the worst one :(... might be me) had a good hint on that :).

OK, I'm starting to check controller and keyboard assignments. If it's a general FSX issue, which I never had to face by now, I can at least start a search that makes sense now. I'll report on the issue here, ok? :wave:

Regards and thanks again
Mick

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well, a rolling boulder can't be stopped that easily, so keep us posted. Maybe one of the mods can move this thread into the "General Discussion" subforum where it actually belongs.

If something occurs with all aircraft, it's a general FSX issue and as such, investigating common denominators, such as controller axis or FSX settings is the way to go.

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hello Guys,

I hope I'm right in this part of the forum - at least aircraft modellers might be able to give me a good clue how to solve this.

The problem: Spoilers on the left and right wing behave differently, most likely to any change which I don't remember. The funny thing: It's not one model, it's the same with all (jet) aircraft I checked yet, which are mostly default ones. The right side spoiler is always half open, when the left one is down. Activating them with # lets the right one go fully up, while the left one goes on half. There's no way anymore to bring them both down, or to arm them for landing.

Does anyone of you have an idea what might be wrong? Thank you very much,

Mick

If you observe this effect with the default B737-800: this sounds like the aileron axis not being calibrated properly (or having two controller axis assigned to the FS Aileron Axis).
With spoilers retracted, move aileron axis from fully left to fully right, and observe spoiler AND aileron animations (these are partly are coupled in the default B737).

Rob

Country
germany
Hi again,

let's see if one of the mods moves the thread to where ever it fits best. Rob, it's not only the 737, it's 747-400 as well as other default jets (props I didn't try).

My first results: The controller axis seemed to be ok, but there's obviously an interference with the autopilot: After loading the flight with AP on (standard on most of my flights), pressing "z" brought the spoilers down (I can start/fly normal then)! Pressing "z" again switches on the AP and doesn't bring the spoilers back up.

Still a confusing situation, so further experiments shall be needed and reported.

Thank you for now
Mick

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Did you accidentially save your default flight with the autopilot switched on?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When the AP is left on heading hold, you quit FS, and then you restart FS using something like a Previous Flight flight, the AP will try to turn the plane to the heading setting. That will lead to ailerons/spoilers being deflected. When you turn off the AP, they go back to the positions commanded by your yoke. When you turn the AP back on again, the heading hold mode is NOT engaged and thus no deflection occurs.

Hope this helps,

Country
germany
Hello Guys,

thank you both for helping.

@Bjoern: That was the case, I had saved the standard flight with the AP on. Changed it, the effect disappeared.
@tgibson: Thank's for the explanation. Knowing this background, it even makes a lot of sense "trying to turn the plane to the heading setting".

It now looks like the problem is solved and the solution even understood ;)

Have a nice evening,
Mick