• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Global AI Ship Traffic FSX, P3D and MSFS2020

Country
germany
Very good to hear!!!!!

I will deal with this when the Hamburg port is ready for the P3D but I will definitely follow your progress in AI Ship Traffic here. I keep my fingers crossed that you are making good progress.

Country
unitedkingdom
Absolutely loving this. All we need are some helicopters and landable ships. The possibilities look incredible.

where did you find those tools? Did I miss them in the SDK?

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for updating this for FS2020!! Any estimated date of release?

Even with AI ships set at 100%, MSFS seas look eerily empty

attachment.php

Country
denmark
Thanks for updating this for FS2020!! Any estimated date of release?

Even with AI ships set at 100%, MSFS seas look eerily empty

attachment.php
That really depends... For the moment it looks like a lot of work - Knud who has done the base work has spent a week on ten ships, but hopefully there is a smart way....

Country
denmark
Absolutely loving this. All we need are some helicopters and landable ships. The possibilities look incredible.

where did you find those tools? Did I miss them in the SDK?
Under simobjects in the options tab in the developer mode.

Country
unitedstates
That really depends... For the moment it looks like a lot of work - Knud who has done the base work has spent a week on ten ships, but hopefully there is a smart way....

if that smart way involves "crowd volunteering" of some sort, sign me up.... :)

792b33fac8e761320e7006eaccdc543e7634f743.gif

Country
denmark
if that smart way involves "crowd volunteering" of some sort, sign me up.... :)

792b33fac8e761320e7006eaccdc543e7634f743.gif

Well, the smart way might have been found already by Marc - Flying V - on pilote-virtuel.com. Everything was moved in one go.... I will come back with more once I tested myself, but we might need more eyes to look at models as while most are perfectly okay a few seems not to export correctly. Probably something related to mirroring elements in the original GMAX files... Effects will also not show correctly for the time being, but that is the same for the inbuilt ships in MSFS.

Country
unitedkingdom
I seem to get issues if the textures are already DDS, so it could be that. PNG doesn’t seem to be a problem.
Happy to help if needed.

Country
denmark
All ships exported :) 90% without trouble :):) 10% with some sort of problem in the display of the mdl...

But let's look at the bright side... most are looking pretty well

20090811551916112917015888.jpg

20090811551816112917015887.jpg

20090811551916112917015889.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
Looking great! Are you using the original mdl files or are you exporting to gltf? Are the traffic files behaving as they did in FSX?

Country
denmark
Looking great! Are you using the original mdl files or are you exporting to gltf? Are the traffic files behaving as they did in FSX?
These are original mdl files originating from GMAX and original traffic files created with AIBTC, no conversion at all: I took hundreds of screenshots last night to see if I can see patterns in what displays well and what not, and will try to tests Arno's update mdl converted on some of the messed up models later in the week.

Country
denmark
Issues discovered all related to textures and transparencies... E.g. most navy ships have DXT5 textures and the transparency on the nets around the helidecks are not well appreciated by MSFS...

20090909381816112917016785.jpg

Fortunately others look better even if here there is also a mixture of night and day texture giving some funny shadows.

20090909322916112917016725.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
I’ve had loads of issues with DXT5 and DDS. Converted them to PNG and all was good with the world. Transparency remains a black art though.

Country
denmark
I’ve had loads of issues with DXT5 and DDS. Converted them to PNG and all was good with the world. Transparency remains a black art though.
I guess it is the way to go - what I have seen so far:
  1. When a DXT5 texture with a part with transparency is used on the model, then all the model parts using that texture are messed up
  2. Windows using a DXT3 however shows up nicely, as seen on the image here looking at the left part of the bridge just above the green navigation light - the center part is dark due to the background on the bridge. Remaining windows have no transparency.
20090510060616112917008339.jpg

20090503092216112917008435.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
It really is a phenomenal piece of work. I actually only came across it for FSX recently. Many years ago I had used AIBTC for quite a few routes around the uk, but models were in short supply. Rick Piper made a couple of nice hovercraft models for me to go to and from Calais but something I’d bought later seemed to clash with them. I must see if I have them on my old backup drive. They were the SR.N4’s.

Country
denmark
It really is a phenomenal piece of work. I actually only came across it for FSX recently. Many years ago I had used AIBTC for quite a few routes around the uk, but models were in short supply. Rick Piper made a couple of nice hovercraft models for me to go to and from Calais but something I’d bought later seemed to clash with them. I must see if I have them on my old backup drive. They were the SR.N4’s.
They would fit nicely to the Classic project I'm doing for FSX/P3D currently... Shoots below from P3D, FSX and GMAX...

20060704184616112916838156.jpg

20061410501616112916853843.jpg

20090910592916112917016844.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
They’re incredible. I grew up in Belfast with my bedroom looking over the Harland & Wolff shipyard, so I do love the older vessels, much like my aircraft. I remember watching Seillean being built in ‘87 and couldn’t believe the size of her, like nothing I’d seen before. I’ll watch this project with much interest. :)

Country
unitedstates
All ships exported :) 90% without trouble :):) 10% with some sort of problem in the display of the mdl...
But let's look at the bright side... most are looking pretty well

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :DCAN'T WAIT TO CHECK THIS OUT!!

Planning on a grand release?? WHEN??

Congratulations on the great work! And a huge THANK YOU!!

Country
denmark
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :DCAN'T WAIT TO CHECK THIS OUT!!

Planning on a grand release?? WHEN??

Congratulations on the great work! And a huge THANK YOU!!

Well, don't get too exited... while they do export, there will not be any grand release until wakes and textures are fixed and that will take time. To give some numbers... 3000 textures, 300 effect files, 600-700 mdl files... For the effect files there is no solution currently; the textures I'm sure I am able to get around, but all light maps needs to be replaced - that is 1500 light maps; 500-600 DXT5 textures will need to be changed - eventually with change to the model - it will be a lot of work. There might also be a performance issue regards to the converted mdl files - at least it needs to be investigated. I run MSFS on a really high spec computer bought for the purpose and do not see any issue, but got a message yesterday with a heads up on this potential issue. Ant then I still want to finished the above mentioned Classic project, which is actually more fun, than correcting textures....

That said, I will this weekend post the how-to on a do-it-yourself quick conversion - it will leave you with the above issues, but you will have ships all over and most will look good - it is already in my thread on www.pilote-virtuel.com posted by Marc (Flying V), but before pasing it on I just wan't to be able to give an instruction on some models which should be removed as they do not work at all - they come out white due to BMP textures. Remember, the project has many contributors, so while I have been quite consistent with the way I do my own models some of the other models were first done for FS9, then converted to FSX,/P3D.

20090908141416112917016547.jpg