• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Navigation Database Update

Country
france
Hello experts,
I have already posted this question in the gauge forum, and I was suggested to post this question here because some BGL experts may help me finding the solution to my problem.
Here is the original message :

As some of you know, I release EasyFMC some years ago, a universal FMC that doesn't require a navigation database because it uses the sim internal database (fs9/FSX/P3D). EasyFMC uses the GPS software interface, explained in the great GPS guidebook, to read the database like the standard GPS does.
Everything was going OK until Hervé Sors had the great idea to propose a navdata update for FSX/P3D (http://www.aero.sors.fr/). He uses a BGL compiler to update the database according to AIRAC cycles.

The problem is that my EasyFMC doesn't work with his update. I tried to debug my EasyFMC until I realized it also fails with the standard GPS...
I made a test with the ROXER waypoint. As you can see on the image, it is visible on the map, it is also in the BGL file, I checked this with a BGL reader.

fsxmap-png.42554

Then I tried to fly direct to ROXER using the standard GPS, and... it failed. ROXEN and ROXET were available, but no ROXER to be found...

updatednavdata-png.42555

If the standard GPS can't find it, I don't think my EasyFMC will ever be able to do it better.
Do you have any idea why this waypoint is there, visible on the map, but not accessible through the GPS?
Did Hervé miss something when he generated the BGL files of his update?
I contacted him directly to know more about the way he generated his update, but unfortunately he couldn't help. H said he uses a BGL compiler that showed no error during the generation process.

Any information is greatly welcome.

Thank you !!
Eric

Country
france
UPDATE :

With the help of Bob (rpmc) and Hervé Sors (developer of the nav data update), I found the explanation to this problem.
It appears that when I updated the BGL files of the Nav Data update, FSX did not properly update its internal database, especially the indexes. FSX is supposed to do this when the BGL files are modified, especially when a file is added, removed or replaced by another one. You can easily see this because FSX shows a progress bar saying "updating indexes" or something like that.

On my system with FSX Steam Edition, I didn't notice the index update was not running when I changed the BGL file, which is why I had the problem described in my post above. I forced the FSX update by removing the BGL, restarting FSX, then add the new BGL and restart again. I saw the update progress bar each time FSX was starting and... everything worked perfect. The problem disappeared :)

So now I have a new question:
Can someone explain me why FSX didn't update its database and indexes as it should?

Any clue is welcome.

Thanks,
Eric

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
In my experience this FSX database updating can be unreliable. I can usually get it to reload by going to the Scenery Library and pressing OK.

Country
france
In my experience this FSX database updating can be unreliable. I can usually get it to reload by going to the Scenery Library and pressing OK.
Indeed, it does the trick :)
It is much easier than what I did: delete all the .idx files in the Facilities folder to have them re-generated.

Thanks for the info.