• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Official Airport to SDK project: here is a small app to help you (draft)

Country
ca-quebec
Hi all
Catching up on all the posts (for some reason, I did not subscribe to the notification process).
Anyway, I'll work on the taxisigns because, yes, they can be extracted, plus adding some configuration options.
I'll let you know when I'll have something new to share.
But don't forget that this app is a quick-and-dirty tool to help edit existing airport

Cheers

Country
canada
Hi all
Catching up on all the posts (for some reason, I did not subscribe to the notification process).
Anyway, I'll work on the taxisigns because, yes, they can be extracted, plus adding some configuration options.
I'll let you know when I'll have something new to share.
But don't forget that this app is a quick-and-dirty tool to help edit existing airport
Thanks! Quick and dirty is fine! What I do is I just get the XML from the code generated by your tool and paste into the airport I'd be working on. Getting the XML for the taxi signs would be great.

Country
ca-quebec
Hi folks
Version 1.0.0.3 of the Airport2Project app is available.

- Improved Package search using UserCfg.opt file
- Set culture to en-US so no comma is generated for decimal values
- Option to select delete flags
- Generate taxi signs

Enjoy!

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
A suggestion to help Steam users would be to alter the <location>

%AppData%/Microsoft Flight Simulator/UserCfg.opt

The last line of the OPT file (TXT file) is the <location> of the MSFS data

For steam, the directory of the files within the data is <location>\Official\Steam\

"D:\MSFS\Official\Steam" in my case. I believe <location>\Official\OneStore\ is the directory for the MSStore version.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Attached is a CSV file of the default MSFS airports. This could be parsed to find the airports by their ID (ICAO) as it exists in the sim. Also when choosing an ID, you could display the actual Lat-Long along with the ID in the drop-down box.

Attachments

• MSFS_Airports.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 311
Country
ca-quebec

For steam, the directory of the files within the data is <location>\Official\Steam\

"D:\MSFS\Official\Steam" in my case. I believe <location>\Official\OneStore\ is the directory for the MSStore version.
Hi Dick

You mean that with version 1.0.0.3 of the Airport2Project, the path is still not found for the Steam version ?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Dick

You mean that with version 1.0.0.3 of the Airport2Project, the path is still not found for the Steam version ?
No, it's not found.

You have this for OneStore:
return text2 + "\\Official\\OneStore\\fs-base\\scenery";

Steam would need:
return text2 + "\\Official\\Steam\\fs-base\\scenery";

So you would need a means to detect if it's OneStore or Steam, and change the text accordingly. Probably test for OneStore, and if not true then test for Steam.

Last edited:
Country
ca-quebec

According to Zendesk (https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com...-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-),
the location of the UserCfg.opt file for Steam users is : C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Can you confirm it ?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Country
ca-quebec
Yep. C:\Users\dickl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator in my case. Also %AppData%\Microsoft Flight Simulator gets me there.
ok, I changed the path to <location>\Official\Steam\ when the UserCfg.opt is found in the Steam folder.
I updated the file Airport2Project_1_0_0_3.zip (same version).

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick. Merry XMAS to you. Sorry, but the new version doesn't find my path.

Country
us-arizona
Greetings all. I just signed onboard because of a project I'm working on.

Some years ago, in FSX, using the work of others, I was able to recreate the Deenethorpe airfield as it appeared in WWII. I'm now looking to do the same with FS20. Examining the airfield (EG07 now, was UK01) in FS20 I find that, unlike FSX, some of the work is already done. I.e. All runways defined, but only the main runway is visible. The entire area inside the base's perimeter track is cleared of vegetation, unlike it was in FSX. Even other areas appear in FS20, like the roads of the Tech Center with a few buildings here and there.

So, I'm assuming it's in my best interest to start with this tool. But, if I read the OP correctly, he mentions "jetways" are not included. I assume that's synonymous with runway but, for all I know, could mean something else. I'm also assuming that the tool will bring other stuff in, like the fueling area that currently exists and, hopefully, even the few buildings of the Tech Center. If they're defined part of the airfield, that is.

I haven't tried the tool yet, but will do so shortly, so I'm just looking for thoughts, opinions and advice. Thanks all in advance.

Country
us-arizona
Alright, after a little trial and error, got it to work. Looking in the EG07_Scene.xml I do see runways, three as expected, so I assume Patrick must have meant something else by "jetway".

I also note the use of the "breizh-airport" that others have and assume that this can be changed. For my purposes, something like "401st_WWII_EG07_" or similar.

Looks like the first thing for me to try is to increase the length of the shortest runway since I know it's was much longer in the past.

Let the learning curve continue! (And thanks for the tool.) :)

Country
ca-quebec
Alright, after a little trial and error, got it to work. Looking in the EG07_Scene.xml I do see runways, three as expected, so I assume Patrick must have meant something else by "jetway".

I also note the use of the "breizh-airport" that others have and assume that this can be changed. For my purposes, something like "401st_WWII_EG07_" or similar.

Looks like the first thing for me to try is to increase the length of the shortest runway since I know it's was much longer in the past.

Let the learning curve continue! (And thanks for the tool.) :)
The 'breizh' prefix can be changed in the generated xml files

Country
unitedstates
This tool is amazing. Was able to fix all my home airports taxiways, signs, removed a tree from the taxiway and a few other minor updates. Only thing I can't seem to fix are the comms names. I doesn't extract for some reason.
Is that option not available?

Country
ca-quebec
This tool is amazing. Was able to fix all my home airports taxiways, signs, removed a tree from the taxiway and a few other minor updates. Only thing I can't seem to fix are the comms names. I doesn't extract for some reason.
Is that option not available?
Glad it helped!
The Comm option is not available...yet. Now if you give me the name (and path) of one airport that could be used as a test airport, I'll be glad to implement the Comms

Country
canada
Glad it helped!
The Comm option is not available...yet. Now if you give me the name (and path) of one airport that could be used as a test airport, I'll be glad to implement the Comms
Comms would be nice... The one I'm working on is CYOW Ottawa. Thanks again for this utility, it's a great help!