• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 P3Dv4 compliant Windobjects

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hello developers.

A question to the experienced developers in this forum. I would like to re-program my SODE-controlled wind turbines and wind socks to meet the P3Dv4 standard and no longer need SODE. Is it even possible to design my wind objects to be P3Dv4 SDK compliant? And if that should be possible, is this a high amount of time and effort, or do these objects even have to be tweaked? The interface Simconnect is not considered for my question, because I am not a programmer.

To understand: the wind objects should react on the one hand to the wind direction and should turn into the wind. On the other hand, the wind turbines have been animated according to data sheet - the rotor blades rotate according to the RPM specifications of the Enercon data sheets and react differently to the wind.

I'm grateful for any helpful answer.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think you still need a tool like SODE for that. Simple visibility conditions can be done directly in P3D v4 now without SimConnect, but in that way you can't access the wind variables.

But the question is: how to do it without SODE?
There must be a way (or not? :(), it is just that we have not found it yet!

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thanks Arno.

Well, I had already solved the question of SODE-controlled wind objects satisfactorily - everything worked flawlessly.
But now it's about figuring out which alternative method, besides SODE, makes the wind objects dynamic. The question was answered in such a way that there probably is no P3Dv4 compliant way to control WinObjects according to P3Dv4 SDK.

But somehow there must be a way, because the new technology of SpeedTrees works well!?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Christian:

I do not yet have P3Dv4 to test, and I am not a programmer either; but I am curious:

* Have you been able to discern how the P3Dv4 default Windsock object works ?

* Is there a default Wind Turbine in P3Dv4 that can be analyzed ?

Also, although L-M reportedly intended to expand the required use of SimConnect in the scenery infrastructure of P3D, FSUIPC can access that sub-system.

LUA scripting and Paul Henty's FSUIPC Client DLLs work via FSUIPC; perhaps these may be an alternative way to access pertinent variables ?

GaryGB

Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Gary.

The intended P3Dv4 SDK compliant wind objects should work completely without additional modules / tools / programs. They should, if you like, work independently with pure P3Dv4 code - without having to tweak these objects. But apparently there is not this possibility, because in the SDK documentation is nothing to this topic. There is only talk of Simconnect and its variables. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, otherwise I would have the opportunity to look into the code of the default Windobjects and then possibly transfer this code to my animated wind objects.

Country
portugal
Hi

This subject is really interesting because I have one object of a project that happen here at Portugal, (but is not any more active, was a investigation project) and now is beginning to appear all over the world.
When the ocean is to deep to put structures on the ocean floor, they used a special platform to maintain the balance of the windmill.
This type of platforms area already at another places in the world.

This is what I have modulated and animated:

https://mega.nz/#!IbBEkC6Y!e1gbXBilIbhDbCn57NsvAM9r41S8bthDenLrta9w0pU [/IMG]

Now I'm facing the wind direction issue. Basically I would separate the object in two and apply SODE on the top part, but I'm not understanding how SODE works. They do not have a simple tutorial.
So, I agree with Christian, it will be nice to provide objects that should work completely without additional modules / tools / programs. But even so, SODE is an amazing achievement. I congratulate them for the product.

Best regards
Mário Cera

Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
. But even so, SODE is an amazing achievement. I congratulate them for the product.

You're absolutely right with your words and your assessment, Mário. SODE is just too good to do without. However, there may be certain circumstances that you have to do without SODE. But anyway. In my freeware projects, I will still not do without SODE. It is too valuable for me :)

Country
sweden
Hi Christian!

Do I understand correctly that you have SODE animated wind turbines? One that turns into wind and the rotation speed depends on the wind strength?
I'm looking for some for my scenery, but could not find. And I'm not good in modelling.
Are you willing to share the model? :)

I already used some of your stuff, like runway lights for pilot controlled lights in SODE and those are fantastic.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Correctly one must say that there are several wind turbines:

- enercon_e40_65m_still.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_slow.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_medium.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_fast.MDL

Depending on the wind speed, the corresponding wind turbine is displayed and then turns into the wind. The wind strengths are defined in the SODE script. But for some time, the wind objects in the Bahrometrix sceneries are controlled by their own wind controller. What specific project is it for which you need the wind turbine?

Country
sweden
Correctly one must say that there are several wind turbines:

- enercon_e40_65m_still.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_slow.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_medium.MDL
- enercon_e40_65m_fast.MDL

Depending on the wind speed, the corresponding wind turbine is displayed and then turns into the wind. The wind strengths are defined in the SODE script. But for some time, the wind objects in the Bahrometrix sceneries are controlled by their own wind controller. What specific project is it for which you need the wind turbine?
My idea is simple: placing all the wind turbines in my country (and maybe in more countries). I plan to look up the exact coordinates from different online sources and/or check in google earth and then make a list for SODE. So basically just place them all around the country (and everywhere, depending on my time and dedication to place thousands of objects :)).

There is one similar free scenery already, which also contains other types of power plants, but the wind turbines in that scenery have a simple fixed animation, unfortunately. Here it is: https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=ray+porter&x=21&y=11 (FSX Power Project v5.0)

Country
sweden
I'm sorry, but I can not provide my wind turbines. Thank you for your understanding.
Sorry to hear that.
It would be only a hobby project, obviously without any commercial plans involved, which I would share with the community later on.
I would actually be proud if someone finds my work worthy to be part of an other project, but I understand you want to protect your work.

Guess I have to learn now how to model an object and how to animate it correctly...