FSX Possible MCX issue??

I have an FSDS animated part with a tilted axis (all 3 axis are not at 0).

Assign a parent poly make it hiearchical then link the part to it.
Part moves so I use FSDS Reset Part Rotation.
Part returns to its original position, but still linked to the hierarchical poly, and eveything is now 0,0,0.

Save the file, then pull the FSDS file (.fsc) into MCX.
The part moves!
It rotates.

So as a test I removed ALL the keyframes and repeated the above.
Part still moves.

So as a test I removed the heirarchy node, so all I have now is a single part, no animations, nothing at all.
Part still moves.

Final test I reset the parts axis to 0,0,0
Part doesn't move.

Any ideas?
Cheers

tgibson

Resource contributor
All animated parts in FSDS have to have an axis of 0,0,0, I believe. You have to animate the part with a combination of axes to get your desired movement. You can't change the axis orientation.

Tom...

Even if I remove the animation keyframes it still rotates when opening the FSDS file in MCX.
Just 1 single part, no animations at all, just not at 0,0,0. Still moves.
Dual tilted axis seems to be OK, just maybe an issue when all three are tilted, even on static parts?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Does the part still move in FSDS? What is the part name? If if it something like elevator MCX may be adding animations automatically, in case it is designed for FS2004 (which requires it). I don't have FSDS 3.5, so I can't help much more.

Hi Tom,
Sorry for the late reply, been playing with MCX....

Worked out its actually easier (for me) just to edit the FSDS model -
4 LODs
Remove all the tick18 stuff
Compile for FS9

Compile FSX versions of the now ambient, nonrandomambient parts.

Looked at them in FSX - pilots head and flags move indepedently using - 500 frames for pilots head, 60 frames for flags.

Import FS9 main model into MCX one of the team converted it to FSX / P3D.
Exported
Re imported and added the FSX flags and pilot head LOD's.
Exported

Now the head and flags animations are hosed.
Both start
At 60 the flags stop
Head continues to 500
Back at 0 they both start again.

So to re-iterate - the FSX model version of the flags and head works perfectly, until you import it into MCX.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Yes, it appears that you might not be able to have an independent number of keyframes. Both animations may need to be 500 keyframes.

Which is strange.
The FSDS compiled model of just the head and flags works perfectly in FSX, both move independently.

Its not until I add them to a model in MCX, then export it that the issue happens.
I will check a compiled model in MCX tonight, and see if a frame 500 has been added to the flags animation.
If so its MCX that is doing it.

Not sure what is going on!
If you load the attached FSX mdl into FSX, which is the flags and pilot, they operate independently. The flags constantly cycle 0-60-0 etc while the pilot head moves 0-500-0 etc.
Flag - 0 - 60 - 0 - 60 - 0 - 60 etc
Head - 0 ----------------------etc up to 500
Once you load into MCX and export they no longer operate independently.

Flag - 0 - 60 - wait - 0
Head- 0 ------- 500 - 0

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Reading animations from FSC files might be a bit buggy, from the FSC format description it never become fully clear to me how they are stored in the FSC file. So that might explain the weird behaviour you are seeing.

About your animation issue, might be MCX incorrectly put them in the same animation definition in the XANIM file. Let me see if I can see what is going on.

Hi Arno thanks for replying.

Starting to think its an FSDS issue.
Sometimes with FSDS what is displayed in the dev windows isn't frame 0.
EG the main gear is displayed at frame 100, it only snaps to 0 when you click to diplay/edit aniamtions.
This is the state my Falcon is in at the moment, showing at frame 100.
Decided to use MCX to convert to FSX instead of a native version, the main gear animation is a nightmare!

Bigger issue now is the ambient/nonrandambient animatiions getting sync'd with each other....
See post 5 in this thread.

Cheers
Kev

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

The parts are displayed as they were originally created until you press the Animation button, only then do they follow the keyframe number.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That animation issue seems to be a bug in the XANIM file that MCX writes. I noticed all animations get the same length (500 in your model), while that is not correct.

@Tom - Even after creating with default up, FSDS sometimes switches to showing them down. No idea what causes it.

@arno - Cheers Arnno I am glad I am not going nuts, LOL.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think I have fixed the bug now, the fix will be in the next development release. Can you let me know after you have tested if it really worked?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I haven't had the time yet to look at this issue again and find a robust fix.