P3D v4 Texture flickering and shape is not correct as the actual ground polygon.

Hello,

I made a ground polygon using Sketchup and I got few several problems. I can place it correctly without no problems at the location I want but what my main problem is that at the end the GP extends and flickers which makes it look very bad. I dont know if I have any mistakes while exporting the GP but I have left the pictures where it shows how I export as well.

I have left some screenshots within my Sketchup program, Model converter X as well as what it displays in the simulator. As you might be aware I am new so if you could explain it in a more simple way it will be amazing thank you very much !

Attachments

Hi,

I can see that you have at least two problems:
- your flatten is not big enough to cover the groundpolys;
- you have some other scenery that is interfering (those squares and triangles).
Are you sure your SU model is completely horizontal and flat? AGL or ASL?

Last edited:
Hi,

I can see that you have at least two problems:
- your flatten is not big enough to cover the groundpolys;
- you have some other scenery that is interfering (those squares and triangles).
Are you sure your SU model is completely horizontal and flat? AGL or ASL?
I made my flatten all the way to cover the whole airport and I picked flatten mask class map excludeautogen in airport design editor.
there us no other scenery interfering with my scenery that I know. I am saying this because I used this method for like 4 different airports and it gives me the same result, I have no clue what it is. Only thing coming to my mind is that my ORBX might be messing it up? Highly doubt it as all other sceneries that I purchased have ground polygons without problem.

and lastly, i am 100% sure that my sketchup is horizontal and flat and the AGL i set in MCX is the same as the airport reference data from airport design editor.

Airport alitude in GPW = meters (not feet)!

I dont know what to do anymore, this is the only problem I am having and I feel very stupid cause I dont know how to fix this its demotivating me :(

Attachments

Hello:

If you package a *.KMZ of your Sketchup G-Poly, the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), and your ADE *.AD4 project file ...inside 1 or more *.ZIP files at a free download website such as DropBox / MediaFire / MS-OneDrive etc., we can download the files in question, and provide more properly-informed troubleshooting assistance. ;-)

GaryGB

Hello:

If you package a *.KMZ of your Sketchup G-Poly, the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), and your ADE *.AD4 project file ...inside 1 or more *.ZIP files at a free download website such as DropBox / MediaFire / MS-OneDrive etc., we can download the files in question, and provide more properly-informed troubleshooting assistance. ;-)

GaryGB
Here you go, I tried to supply every file I have created, its a different airport but same problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvkmnnqntri8uix/BE_LTCS.zip?dl=0

Hello:

GaryGB
The problem I am having is flickering and its not the shape I actually modelled, it looks similar to this

Attachments

Hello:

Since you did not (yet ?) link to the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), our ability to assist you will be limited. :scratchch

Regarding the P3Dv4 MDL format G-Poly cited in your opening post above, in ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

* Material Editor: ...did you enable a Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

* Ground Polygon Wizard (aka "GPW"): ...did you apply a negative Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

PS: I have other questions regarding your Sketchup 3D RWY model pending your reply to my questions above this post. ;)

GaryGB

Hello:

Since you did not (yet ?) link to the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), our ability to assist you will be limited. :scratchch

Regarding the P3Dv4 MDL format G-Poly cited in your opening post above, in ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

* Material Editor: ...did you enable a Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

* Ground Polygon Wizard (aka "GPW"): ...did you apply a negative Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

PS: I have other questions regarding your Sketchup 3D RWY model pending your reply to my questions above this post. ;)

GaryGB

I literally got one texture for it, its white just for testing purposes and let me supply you with the bgl as well if you want sorry about that my bad :)

i have also realised something when you said I didnt supply you with bgl, firstly, sorry and I get the glitches in MCX once I load the BGL

to conclude Gary, i have no idea about the Z-Bias so I am going to show you some screenshots and you can determine and please do ask me questions about the 3d rwy model :)

Attachments

Hello:

GaryGB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot4rcyny6370twg/LTCS.BGL?dl=0

Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

You may wish to review the info discussed in some of these links regarding the MCX G-Poly Wizard work-flow to:

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for textures Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in the MCX G-Poly Wizard

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=XopDW7XRFYzwsQWEqpewDQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1782.67097.0.71978.80.79.1.0.0.0.124.6141.77j2.79.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.506...0j0i131k1.0.9UtdptnbR_s

GaryGB
Does flickering invole the triangle parts as well which is not part of my model as well? What was the questions you going to ask as well as I might look into 3ds max luckily im a student seems like theres more help on the 3ds side!

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-the-actual-ground-polygon.442910/post-802591

Does flickering invole the triangle parts as well which is not part of my model as well? What was the questions you going to ask as well as I might look into 3ds max luckily im a student seems like theres more help on the 3ds side!
Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the P3Dv4 SDK Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

You may wish to review the info discussed in some of these links regarding the MCX G-Poly Wizard work-flow to:

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for texture Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys in MCX Material Editor

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in MCX G-Poly Wizard

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=XopDW7XRFYzwsQWEqpewDQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1782.67097.0.71978.80.79.1.0.0.0.124.6141.77j2.79.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.506...0j0i131k1.0.9UtdptnbR_s

PS: I have reviewed your posting history here at FS Developer with regard to creating G-Polys, and IMHO, you may find it easier to continue working with Sketchup and the MCX G-Poly Wizard ...for this current phase of your learning process. :pushpin:

We can further discuss a Sketchup work-flow when you have a texture image Material (and not just a Sketchup default "Color") applied to the (single) Front "Face" of the flat 3D model of the RWY within Sketchup ...prior to importing it into MCX. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the P3Dv4 SDK Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for texture Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys in MCX Material Editor

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in MCX G-Poly Wizard

PS: I have reviewed your posting history here at FS Developer with regard to creating G-Polys, and IMHO, you may find it easier to continue working with Sketchup and the MCX G-Poly Wizard ...for this current phase of your learning process. :pushpin:

We can further discuss a Sketchup work-flow when you have a texture image Material (and not just a Sketchup default "Color") applied to the (single) Front "Face" of the flat 3D model of the RWY within Sketchup ...prior to importing it into MCX. ;)

GaryGB
it seems like i am getting closer. i am trying a different airport but now there is minimal gaps like two gaps thats it, i done what u said enabled negative z-bias and I am using a texture and setting it to -2 while exporting in the gp wizard but I am getting small triangle gaps as shown on the images, this is exactly how its shown in the simulator too, i do feel a bit better getting close to it i tried my best to understand what you meant by z-bias layers etc. hope you could maybe understand this situation and help me :) i supplied all the files too if you would like to try! https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2s9touayy3xlwg/LTFD.zip?dl=0

Attachments

Hello:

In the MCX G-Poly Wizard, 'check' Group polygons: 500 Meters, then compile another version of your G-Poly. :idea:

GaryGB
I think I have resolved it but I didnt check the ground polygon 500 meter, how does it look for first time ;) Now I think i am ready to listen for your tips regarding skid marks etc :)

Attachments

faboulous thank you very much Gary if it wasnt for you I wouldnt of been successful , thank you mate, means a lot, one question is there direct links or anything? when i click them i got couple of links which I dont know which ones are the correct one

Hello everybody!

I have experienced similar problems with those triangles......
My GP 3D Model created with SketchUp looks fine ( also as MDL ). When I load it in the GPW in MCX, I select ,,Slice Polygons (100 meter)" and optimize reference point location.... When I have loaded the bgl file, those triangles appear ( in the sim too ) as shown in the screenshots. If I unselect ,,Slice Polygons (100 meter)" the triangles don't appear, but then the ground poly starts to flicker when getting closer.....

Is there a solution for this to fix the triangles?

Thanks for your help,

Norvin.

Attachments