• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tutorial: Approaches

Country
germany
Guenther

With thses type approaches it is trial and error on how far we can push the limits of AI before the system breaks the approach.

How right you are!
I have now a fictive rwy 05 ILS approach, and AI fly and land.
But now the crazy thing: A319 and A320 land fine, B738 flies like a drunken cow... (and goes missed every time)

wri72wwh75z.jpg

qu3h2i5b4tid.jpg

:confused:

hgschnell

What is the Approach Header heading? I will try one. Start with 140 degree which is 90 degree turn to final (50). If that works increase 140 heading by 10 degrees. Tweak the FAF since the AI is looking for the turn to final outside that fix.

Use the FS stock B737 and see if it flies the curve. It might be the FDE's.

Last edited:
Country
germany
here is my curved approach ...
I am sure you will cry because of the errors

:eek:

thanks for your interest and help

Attachments

• LPMA_ADE9_HGS_APR.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 676
Country
germany
the default 737-400 did it, but landed off the runway...

67f5xn9xo1h.jpg

a learjet did it perfect, a Bombardier business jet dit id as bad as the 737 and a second 737 did it worse than the first ...

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Fire!!! the Pilots please,... :eek::D .... I was on the that last flight,... sick to my stomach now!! :D

LOL

hgschnell

The XML you zipped up does not have a airport. It is only 2 approaches with a few T_Waypoints.

Country
germany
yes, because i used "Extended Compile"

sorry if that is not enough, I will send you the complete thing ..

Country
germany
Mountain Valley Approach

Hey guys,
is there a possibilty, that the AI-Planes fly through the Valley down do my Airport?
Because now, the planes fly always a higher altitude, so they cant reach the runway.
I have many different airport with such an approach. I am using DF legs and an ILS Appraoch with a few turns. All these Airports and Approaches are fictional.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
AI aircraft will not fly DF legs, only the main part of the approach.

Hope this helps,

Country
germany
Hmm, but i have other Airports in flat landscape with curved Appraoches and there, the AI Planes are flying the DF legs i made.

Hmm, but i have other Airports in flat landscape with curved Appraoches and there, the AI Planes are flying the DF legs i made.

Like Tom says AI does not fly legs. AI seek the FAF T_Waypoint based on a heading in the Approach Header or if a FAF does not exist then AI Planes look for the extended invisible center line of the runway.

Country
germany
AI seek the FAF T_Waypoint based on a heading in the Approach Header or if a FAF does not exist then AI Planes look for the extended invisible center line of the runway.

Ok, I understood. So the AI Planes can only use the FAF Waypoint, that means ONE waypoint I made. But is there any possibility, that they fly more than just this FAF? E.g. when i have an Airport in a valley, so my approach has to start much earlier than just one waypoint away from the runway and I need more "curves" to bring the AI Planes from a High altitude e.g. FL100 to the airport altitude of 4500ft. FL100 is the top of a mountain e.g. then I made legs, so the planes can fly down into a valley and descent further. But the Valley is making curves and this more than one time.
Is it possible that the AI planes fly this? Or do i have just a too complicated Airport?:D

Ok, I understood. So the AI Planes can only use the FAF Waypoint, that means ONE waypoint I made. But is there any possibility, that they fly more than just this FAF? E.g. when i have an Airport in a valley, so my approach has to start much earlier than just one waypoint away from the runway and I need more "curves" to bring the AI Planes from a High altitude e.g. FL100 to the airport altitude of 4500ft. FL100 is the top of a mountain e.g. then I made legs, so the planes can fly down into a valley and descent further. But the Valley is making curves and this more than one time.
Is it possible that the AI planes fly this? Or do i have just a too complicated Airport?:D

Aquila

AI Planes can only make 2 turns.

1. They will make a 30 degree turn onto the heading you have set in the approach header.

2. They will make a turn to align with the runway if the heading in the approach header is different then the runway heading.

Using ADE open the stock PHNL airport. Go into the approach mode and see list approaches. AT the bottom of the list is the LDA 26L approach. Use this as an example.

The Approach header heading is 315 degree to cross the FAF HEFTL at 1500 ft.. The AI Planes will come from heading 285 or 345 degree to make a turn onto the 315 degree heading before HEFTL.

The AI Plane will track the 315 degree heading until it gets close to the center line of Rwy 26L. The AI Plane will then make the 2nd turn (left) to align with Runway 26L.

Because this is a LDA approach in the header and not a ILS you have to set weather to 3 mile visiblity for the AI planes to fly the curve approach.

here is my curved approach ...
I am sure you will cry because of the errors

:eek:

thanks for your interest and help

Sending back the ad2 project file.. Open with ADE9 and save so you have the master. Now compile.

I have tested 4 different type planes such as B737, 757. and airbus. I an still a little wide on downwind to 05 and final turn is about 6 NM from runway not VOR.

I want to be sure you see the approach of all AI Planes the way I see it. It is a downwind to 05 with the turn to final. Once you agree with what I see I will tweak the approach inward until I break it.

I put the approach in your airport so you don't need a extra XML file unless you want one.

Last edited:
Country
germany
first test results:

as you wrote, they landing after a wide downwind leg.
I think a lot FDE depending ...

A319: fine
A320: goaround after a very late landing, 2. try landed (but late)
B738: landed right of the centerline, near the edge line ...
B733: landed right of the centerline, better than 738
B752: fine

I will try widebodies now ...

Country
germany
now I have testet:

C-130 : fine
A330 : excellent
747 : fine (default 747)
777 : fine (default 777)
A380 : fine

Lear 35 : fine
Bombardier 601 : fine

very impressive all is achieved with one leg!

forget the A320 problem, it is caused by an extreme strange FDE.
thanks for your help

899vpiq316bg.jpg

hgschnell

If you want legs to show in the GPS for the User Plane we can add them. If you want to try and tweak the approach so it is closer in to the airport I will show you what to move.

Country
germany
thanks Jim,

that would be great,

(I am sure, I could learn a lot and testing is very fine job for me ..)

Country
germany
Departure Legs

Hello,
Is there a way to make Departure Legs beside the Approach Legs?