• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 visibility conditions for scenery objects

That was it! Wish I could buy you a drink or something, Christian!
Next: make a windsock with bones in Sketchup and animate them in MCX!
Thank you a lot.

Cheers,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That was it! Wish I could buy you a drink or something, Christian!
Next: make a windsock with bones in Sketchup and animate them in MCX!
Thank you a lot.

Cheers,

The example I made is without bones. That also works.

One more rather stupid question because I had an argument regarding the wind direction.
If I set the wind direction to 360º, it means the wind is blowing from the south towards the north, right?

PS for those that have a day off: have a nice 4th of July:).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I think normally it is the direction the wind comes FROM, so 360 would be from the north.

Nope, then it would come from the south direction north or so I understand in the meantime from the SDK:
Wind Direction
Wind direction refers to the direction from which the wind is blowing. If the wind is a northerly wind that means that the wind is blowing from the north towards the south. In aviation, surface winds are reported in degrees of magnetic compass heading. If you listen to the Automated Terminal Information Service (ATIS) at an airport in the simulator, you'll hear wind reported as something like, "Wind one-eight-zero at one-zero." This means the wind is blowing from 180 degrees magnetic (due south) at ten knots, blowing towards the north.

You can set the wind to help or challenge your flight.

user_defined_weather_05.jpg

I am still confused. So you are right, I guess?
Yes you are!:oops:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
:D

The keyword is "From" and not "To".

"Wind: 270 at 13"

ATIS is always referring to where the wind is coming "from", therefore, the wind is coming "from" the west at 13 knots.

It makes sense to me.:)

Its the arrows underneath the wind direction disk that confused me. That ▲ points to the East as if the wind is blowing from the West.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I requested a feature in the P3D forums:

seasonal display of objects

Feel free to add comments or approval. Or add other suggestions. It's hard to believe that at this date we still cannot control the appearance of an object to match the seasons.bgl. We still have to patch together a monthly appearance that somewhat matches the season, but only depending on it's world location. This is also true of effects. And would not the Autogen be greatly simplified if a single model could be used, instead of 5 different models?

As for your seasons, Dick, I find no deviations in the seasons compared to the seasonal objects or the landclass.
I use a photoreal of course but it also matches the landclass and the showing up of seasonal objects.
I use this Swedish scenery for which I changed the satellite image to show Winter from Nov 1st to March 31st (in the .inf file) and did the same for the scenery object visibility :
((E:ZULU MONTH OF YEAR, number) 11.0 >= (E:ZULU MONTH OF YEAR, number) 3.0 <= or if{ 1 } els{ 0 }).
I find no discrepancies when I change from March 31st to April 1st. Everything is as it should be.
Fyi, I am speaking of ESGG of which there are some older freeware and one payware versions (we had to pay a lot of money for the satellite image).
I still have to find out about CYP4 (a freeware virtual one I made for my friend over there at Lake Lola, Quebec with a frozen lake Lola in winter time) but I guess that is going to give the same result.
I will check.
I do not know about autogen but mine does do it correctly as well (at the least at ESGG).
Unless I understood you wrong, of course???

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For specific locations there is no issue with your approach. But I think Dick refers to models that can be used anywhere. And I that case you run into issues.

Abba sowatt von, hömma :)
(this was Ruhrpott Slang and means: with pleasure)
(With my family we speak a kind of Platt Deutsch (Aachen/Kölnisch) so my German grammar is not OK but when we speak our dialect it is like we come from some close by Bauernhof over there:))
Thank you once again for your eye opening input in this thread.
And because of the many more possibilities in P3Dv4, I guess many will have more questions regarding both Lua and RPN scripts.

Cheers (zum Wohl),

Country
france
hello
what does the star mean at the end of the code ?
Code:
(O:Weather.AmbientWindDirection, Degrees) 360.0 / 100 *

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The wind direction in degrees is divided by 360. That result is multiplied by 100. That gives you the animation keyframe position from 0 to 100.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
As Dick says, the star is the multiply symbol. In RPN the operation symbol comes after the number.

Next challenge :cool:
The moving custom jetways:
<Animation name="JetwayHoodExtend" guid="f993fae1-e8b1-47b5-940d-5cb1b624f0cc" type="Standard" typeParam="" /> length="100" type="Sim" typeParam2="JetwayHoodExtend" typeParam="AutoPlay" /&gt; &gt;
And the part that has to move moves in MCX but does not yet in P3D.
For the ones that are really interested (and that should be the majority of you folks that watch this thread), I still have two problems.
- If I add the "JetwayHoodRetract" in MCX the part no longer moves or extends further out depending on the vector entries.
- I do not know (yet) how to add proximity'frequency triggers in P3D like you can in FS9 nor how to link the animation to the default 'ctrl+J' key?
When the above has been solved (hopefully with the help of some of you), I would also like to have a go at Arno's FS9 type VGDS (unless, of course, he wants to have a go at it himself :p?).
I am aware that I am asking a lot of you folks and maybe divulge some of your own hard work to find a solution, but I trust that this site is to help people and I wish I could be more helpful myself.
Maybe, some day, I will:rolleyes:!

Cheers (going to watch the Tour the France, so take your time:)),