• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Website down time

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have just taken the wiki offline, as we have a suspicion that it might be the cause of the bad performance.

So let's see if it makes a difference. Of course we have all content from the wiki still and will make sure it becomes available soon again.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Seems more reliably fast than the last few days

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I do indeed think the wiki was not the problem as I still got messages about the site not being accessible today. Or do you feel it's less?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
it's working better for me, that's all I can say really. Can you check the stats related to the wiki to see if things have settled down or not?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't think the wiki was in the stats before and the instability issues were always kind of random. Let's just wait a bit longer to see.

I'm also considering to disable tapatalk for a while, since that's also an external thing.

Country
us-ohio
It works ok most of the time... but not always. I'll see if I can find a pattern/time frame.

GHD

Country
england
Yes, it is very variable.

When it is good, it is very, very good ...

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It works ok most of the time... but not always. I'll see if I can find a pattern/time frame.

I can't find a pattern yet either, for example when I compare it to the website statistics. There seems to be something that causes php sessions to last much longer than normal and then the queue fills up and the site gets slow. But I'm not sure how to find out what is the cause of it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
But it seems it wasn't the wiki, so I'll restore it so that the knowledge is accessible again.

Still need to figure out what causes the issues.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

I have noticed recurrent 'TLS Handshake' status messages in FireFox when attempting to connect with FSDev forum,

Is the forum software or the VPS host using "SSL Offloading" ? :scratchch

GaryGB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have no clue what SSL offloading is, so can't tell you.

Country
us-illinois
I have no clue what SSL offloading is, so can't tell you.

"SSL Offloading: What is it? How does it work? What are the benefits? What is SSL Offloading? Performing SSL at the Load Balancer level.

What are the advantages of SSL offloading? SSL offloadingSSL offloading has several benefits: It offloads additional tasks from your application servers so they can focus on their primary functions. It saves resources on those application servers. And, depending on what load balancer you’re using, it can also help with HTTPS inspection, reverse-proxying, cookie persistence, traffic regulation, etc. That last one is one of the most important: that in some cases SSL offloading can assist with traffic inspection. As important as encryption is, it has one major drawback: attackers can hide in your encrypted traffic. There’s no shortage of high-profile exploits that have occurred as a result of attackers hiding in HTTPS traffic, recently Magecart has been using HTTPS traffic to obfuscate the PCI it’s been exfiltrating from various payment pages. Being able to inspect HTTPS traffic becomes almost compulsory once your organization reaches a certain size, and one of the best ways to do that is to offload your SSL/TLS processes."

"Man-in-the-Middle A Man-in-the-Middle (MITM) is typically presented as a nefarious hacker that’s attempting to steal information or cause harm. That’s actually not always the case. A lot of programs and devices intercept traffic for inspection or some other purpose like load balancing, and then send it along to the application server. This constitutes a MITM, too."

GaryGB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have restored the wiki again, as I'm not sure that it was the reason for the performance issues.

Country
us-ohio
I went to load the website this morning at 6:54 and it came up at 7:02. It didn't time out... just took forever to actually load the content. Times are all Eastern U.S.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Three minute connection hiccup from Germany around 20:30h GMT+1.

Other than that, the webnsite's faster than it used to be.