• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 X40 (KINF) Inverness, Florida

Country
us-arizona
Really looking forward to this one Jim, when it's ready I'll be ready!

I'll be getting the A2A 182T soon and when I do I'll do a special repaint for a 182T that will be calling this place home!

Jim, if you have anything in mind let me know, there's no rush.

Country
us-florida
Jim,
Have you ever considered KSPG? Probably one of the most picturesque airports in the US and like the former Merrill C Meigs the developers and politicians would love to see it turned into waterfront condos.

Would be a great way to put the airport on the map for pilots, and aviation enthusiasts. The airport will need all the support in the future.

Downtown St. petersburg is beautiful also making approaches both fun and interesting. I live close to the airport, am an avid photographer, and would be willing to help fund the project. Please let me know if you have any interest.

Mark

Country
argentina
Jim - Wow!
This is amazing. For sure payware quality. Do you plan on making this for FSX as well?

Keep up the awesome work!

Michael :)

Country
ireland
Jrobinson last posted here in December 2014, despite several requests for information on progress.

That tells me everything I need to know.

Country
unitedstates
I need photos of the large hangar on the south end of the field and probably several other things by now. I requested that on the first page of this thread 2 1/2 years ago and I have zero photos to date. I live 2000 miles from this airport. For that matter I'm still waiting on a chap that promised me photos of KMYL in 2009, he was within walking distance of the airport when he committed to getting them.

There's a KINF in the flightsim.com freeware library, it's not this one.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi JRobinson,
You might consider release it as it is, if you want.
Regards,
Tic

Country
unitedstates
Hi Tic, no I don't even have all the autogen done, no seasons or night yet either and some buildings still have placeholder textures. I don't want to release it that way, I don't even remember exactly what needs to be done yet. I'm trying to convince myself I should finish it this winter.

Country
us-illinois
Hi All:

Here is a restoration via a web page archive, of Jim's screenshots showing his excellent work from page 3 of his thread. ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/x40-kinf-inverness-florida.429786/page-3

Dunno, IIRC I used the same material settings used on the autogen trees in vegetation.bgl for those custom trees, I have plenty of other objects that just use normal "set default transparent" though and their shadows seem to work fine so I don't think there's anything special in the material settings.

p3d2_alpha_shdws-jpg.59202
p3d2_alpha_shdws.jpg

Do autogen trees cast square shadows too?

Here's the material settings off the custom trees Michael:

X40_KINF_VEG01.gif

x40_kinf_veg01-gif.59203

Attachments

• p3d2_alpha_shdws.jpg
    p3d2_alpha_shdws.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 420
  • X40_KINF_VEG01.gif
    X40_KINF_VEG01.gif
    65.9 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Continued:

Here's a small update on Inverness.

First off I was never happy with these hurricane hangars because the texture resolution was poor and the mesh was all wrong which caused them to leak! I've rebuilt them again for the 3rd time throughout the course of this project :) . This time I started from scratch with a 40-sided sphere and a new texture sheet. Texture resolution is now somewhere around 10px/ft which is about what everything else on the field is. The higher resolution makes it a lot easier to add some dirt and weathering not to mention the fact that more pixels just looks better in the sim.

x40_26.jpg

x40_26-jpg.59204

I had fun building these more complex models around the main focal point of the airport, I enjoy these detailed models immensely but it is time consuming, I'd guess (conservatively) 20-30 hrs into this small area alone. Here's the FBO, "Whiskey Bravo Air" which appears to be a rather uninteresting double-wide mobile home converted to a pilot's lounge. To jazz it up I added a lot of details; air conditioners, porches and overhangs, antennas, satellite dish, ramp lights, some 3D grass, some cars in the parking lot, parking bumpers, a generator (I think), a sign, reflective windows, etc. Lastly I tried to smudge it all into the PR so it sorta looks like it belongs there.

x40_27.jpg

x40_27-jpg.59205

x40_28.jpg

x40_28-jpg.59206

x40_30.jpg

x40_30-jpg.59207

...and the fueling area. This was a fun model, still messing around with the textures a bit but done for the most part. There's a fuel trigger here for those that want it and it can be disabled for those that don't. Finally a shot from FSX:

x40_29.jpg

x40_29-jpg.59208

...and from P3D2

x40_31.jpg

x40_31-jpg.59209

x40_32.jpg

x40_32-jpg.59210

So far everything is on ten 1024x1024 sheets plus I have two more separate texture sheets for the vegetation and fences with some transparency. I laid my main sheets out on a 4096x4096 document as a sort of preview image because I was having a hard time remembering which sheets still had space left on them, I briefly contemplated remapping everything to the 4096 sheet to cut down some drawcalls but it seems an enormous amount of work and there's not much to gain since everything already makes extensive use of drawcall batching. Here's what my texture sheets are looking like, yellow/red striped areas still need to be used up.

x40_33.jpg

x40_33-jpg.59211

Thanks for checking in :)

Jim

Attachments

• x40_26.jpg
    x40_26.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 377
  • x40_27.jpg
    x40_27.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 436
  • x40_28.jpg