• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 .dae ground poly file (from 3ds max) reading errors in MCX

Country
russia
Hello everyone! I have made a ground polygon in 3ds max in real scale (about 2000x1500 meters). I tried to export this to ground polygon wizard in MDX. When I select this model, it appears in the viewport just for a second and dissapears. Materials menu is empty, but there were assigned materials to this model. I tried to convert it to .bgl, and MDX did it but there is no .bgl file created and no errors in log... What I did wrong? (sorry for my bad english)
P.S. if i rescale this model to less big square, nothing changes...

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Materials mapped onto the G-Poly 3D model must be in that same folder as the 3D model *.DAE ...during import by MCX.

If those materials are in a separate folder, add the path to that folder to MCX via the Options > Texture settings dialog.

PS: In MCX Material Editor:

* Be sure to re-assign a G-Poly MDL output path to a \Texture folder paired with a \Scenery folder to contain a G-Poly BGL.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
russia
Hello:

Materials mapped onto the G-Poly 3D model must be in that same folder as the 3D model *.DAE ...during import by MCX.

If those materials are in a separate folder, add the path to that folder to MCX via the Options > Texture settings dialog.

PS: In MCX Material Editor:

* Be sure to re-assign a G-Poly MDL output path to a \Texture folder paired with a \Scenery folder to contain a G-Poly BGL.

GaryGB
Thanks for info about materials! But, what about dissapearing model in viewport?... I really dont know what the reason is, I tried many times in different formats...

Country
us-illinois
Please explain more clearly what you mean by "dissapearing model in viewport". :scratchch

Are you stating that the 3D model disappears entirely from the ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") work-space 3D preview ?

Or are you stating the 3D model is textured with B+W 'checkerboard' Material instead of imagery in "MCX" 3D preview ?

PS: Attach screenshots and use Google Translate to help prepare a more accurate description of what you are seeing: :pushpin:

https://translate.google.com/

GaryGB

Country
russia
Please explain more clearly what you mean by "dissapearing model in viewport". :scratchch

Are you stating that the 3D model disappears entirely from the ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") work-space 3D preview ?

Or are you stating the 3D model is textured with B+W 'checkerboard' Material instead of imagery in "MCX" 3D preview ?

PS: Attach screenshots and use Google Translate to help prepare a more accurate description of what you are seeing: :pushpin:

https://translate.google.com/

GaryGB
Okey, no problem:)
Here is how model looks in 3ds max
Ee-9EHEB1kE.jpg

And this is assigned to this ground poly Prepar3dPBR material
FtkQ-XQIWgU.jpg

Now I open Ground Polygon wizard and select my exported model in .dae format. The model appears in the 3d view for only a fraction of a second and immediately disappears... Also there aren't any materials exported...
VtI0jvNUsNQ.jpg

Please read Gary GB's reply carefully. If textures are not in the correct folder then MCX will not show them and therefore you will see nothing. Maybe do not open it in the GPW but as an object that will give you a .mdl with textures once you have converted them to the right format. Then use the GPW.
By the way, I do not know the altitude of your airport but do not forget to enter the altitude afterwards (before converting).

Country
russia
Please read Gary GB's reply carefully. If textures are not in the correct folder then MCX will not show them and therefore you will see nothing. Maybe do not open it in the GPW but as an object that will give you a .mdl with textures once you have converted them to the right format. Then use the GPW.
By the way, I do not know the altitude of your airport but do not forget to enter the altitude afterwards (before converting).
Oh, thank you very much! I imported model to MDX, not to GPW. And model imported correctly! Then I exported it in .mdl and opened that new .mdl in GPW. It opened! Thanks!):D I will try to quick export this to Prepar and see the result

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

IIUC, you are creating a new airport that is not yet in the FSX / P3D "stock" airports list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myachkovo_Airport

Myachkovo Airport
Аэропорт Мячково

SummaryAirport type public
Operator JSC "Myachkovo Aviation Services"
Serves Moscow
Elevation AMSL 410 ft / 125 m
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
55°33′36″N 037°59′6″E
Runways
Direction 06/24
Length
4,593 ft 1,400 m
Surface Asphalt

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/g...ort&params=55_33_36_N_037_59_6_E_type:airport

Google Earth Open
Google Maps Map Satellite

In ADE, create an Airport Background Polygon with GUID attributes for Flatten / Exclude Autogen / MaskClassMap

In ADE, assign Airport Reference Point Altitude (aka "ARP") and all Runway Altitudes to 1,400 Meters AMSL

In MCX G-Poly Wizard, assign Altitude for the G-Poly to 1,400 Meters AMSL

When you exported the 3D model from 3DSMax as a Collada *.DAE, that file set included a *.MTL file with Material info

The Textures mapped onto the 3D model as Materials which are listed in the *.MTL file must be present in the same folder as the *.DAE file when you attempt to import the 3D model into MCX.

I suggest that you first import the *.DAE into MCX and assign the Material Properties, Functions, and PBR attributes, export it as a P3Dv4 format scenery object *.MDL.

Then use the MCX G-Poly Wizard to import that P3Dv4 format *.MDL file ...as Roby recommended above.

< Our posts arrived on the server out of sequence ...I see you have had some initial success. > :)

GaryGB

Country
russia
Hi again:

IIUC, you are creating a new airport that is not yet in the FSX / P3D "stock" airports list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myachkovo_Airport

Myachkovo Airport
Аэропорт Мячково

SummaryAirport type public
Operator JSC "Myachkovo Aviation Services"
Serves Moscow
Elevation AMSL 410 ft / 125 m
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
55°33′36″N 037°59′6″E
Runways
Direction 06/24
Length
4,593 ft 1,400 m
Surface Asphalt

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/g...ort&params=55_33_36_N_037_59_6_E_type:airport

Google Earth Open
Google Maps Map Satellite

In ADE, create an Airport Background Polygon with GUID attributes for Flatten / Exclude Autogen / MaskClassMap

In ADE, assign Airport Reference Point Altitude (aka "ARP") and all Runway Altitudes to 1,400 Meters AMSL

In MCX G-Poly Wizard, assign Altitude for the G-Poly to 1,400 Meters AMSL

When you exported the 3D model from 3DSMax as a Collada *.DAE, that file set included a *.MTL file with Material info

The Textures mapped onto the 3D model as Materials which are listed in the *.MTL file must be present in the same folder as the *.DAE file when you attempt to import the 3D model into MCX.

I suggest that you first import the *.DAE into MCX and assign the Material Properties, Functions, and PBR attributes, export it as a P3Dv4 format scenery object *.MDL.

Then use the MCX G-Poly Wizard to import that P3Dv4 format *.MDL file ...as Roby recommended above.

< Our posts arrived on the server out of sequence ...I see you have had some initial success. > :)

GaryGB
Thanks for so detailed information!;) I will try this out )
I made some tests now and all is correct, ground polygon exists in sim! Thanks you very mush guys you helped me a lot!

Country
russia
Here is the result I got for now. Needs some correction, but I think that it is already big progress)
dAACs9lXJDA.jpg