• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Blender2P3D/FSX

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
So the albedo has a alpha? what grayscale was used within the alpha channel ( such as, the grayscale color code, ex. 128, 128, 128 or 151, 151, 151, etc)?

Did you use or try the render mode: Translucent?

Country
ecuador
Well...! I think my problem was that my alpha channel wasn't a greyscale...! I just changed my texture, and it's working.

Now I'm missing the reflection! And I just read Doug, who writes that the reflection comes from the blue channel...? Is that right...?

Country
ecuador
It would be good to understand both systems...! :p

Thank you, Doug, for taking the time to enlighten me...!

Country
england
By treating the glass material as any other opaque PBR material, not masked or transparent, is working for me.
Using the albedo alpha for transparency (white=opaque black=clear) and the metallic alpha for reflection as required, with a mid grey texture this has given me a reasonable looking glass.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
It would be good to understand both systems...! :p

Thank you, Doug, for taking the time to enlighten me...!

Not a problem, glad I was able to assist.

Concerning the reflection though, using PBR materials with P3D v4.4+ can't be done. at least not with PBR materials. You will have to go back to a specular workflow (FSX way of doing it) on just the glass part. Though I could be wrong here...

Concerning P3D v5 though,... The albedo is left as is. It all has to do with the Metallic map.

The AO = green channel affects the reflection on how bright it is. white generally is best here.
The Reflection = blue channel will cause a reflection from either the Dynamic Lighting or Default Environment Map when used. More like "on and off".
The Smoothness = alpha channel controls the contrast - how sharp the reflection is (this is the one that might not be needed at all, similar to metalness).

The metalness = red channel controls how strong the reflection is. Gray (51, 51, 51) used is best I believe.

Make sure the AO has clicked (on) for Metallic and the Blue channel also. and the Smoothness is for Metallic also.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
By treating the glass material as any other opaque PBR material, not masked or transparent, is working for me.
Using the albedo alpha for transparency (white=opaque black=clear) and the metallic alpha for reflection as required, with a mid grey texture this has given me a reasonable looking glass.

For which version of P3D are you referring to?

Country
ecuador
A huge thank you, Doug...!

Now I'm clear on the BPR transparency, and my first tests show a quality of P3Dv5 reflection that I didn't know before...! Absolutely superb!

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
A huge thank you, Doug...!

Now I'm clear on the BPR transparency, and my first tests show a quality of P3Dv5 reflection that I didn't know before...! Absolutely superb!

You are very welcome! If you would please share what you used (in terms of settings, and grayscale color codes. So it will help others.

Country
ecuador
You are very welcome! If you would please share what you used (in terms of settings, and grayscale color codes. So it will help others.
With great pleasure!

But I'm going to do some more tests, since I work with GIMP for the creation of the textures... And as soon as I get exactly what I want, I'll communicate my settings.

If that is the case, then you shouldn't be using a roughness map at all. The specular workflow doesn't use a roughness map.

EDIT: If a roughness map was found though, it is possible to convert parts of to reflect ( no pun intended) meaning that if the roughness map is in layers (parts of it would need to inverted), it would be possible to create a specular map from it.

Hi Doug,

This is really trying to add back some of the older functionality of the tool and Blender without having to create a texture w/alpha. You used to be able to select color, specular color, specular intensity, and transparency level within Blender and the material values would export with the model. I found this to just be a simple way to play around with different parameters quickly without having to create specific textures with their alpha channels . Roughness is what is listed on Specular shader..Hardness was the parameter used before and seems to tie to the Specular Intensity Material Property.

I know there is a greater focus on PBR workflow but hopefully this can be added back to the Spec shader.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi Doug,

This is really trying to add back some of the older functionality of the tool and Blender without having to create a texture w/alpha. You used to be able to select color, specular color, specular intensity, and transparency level within Blender and the material values would export with the model. I found this to just be a simple way to play around with different parameters quickly without having to create specific textures with their alpha channels . Roughness is what is listed on Specular shader..Hardness was the parameter used before and seems to tie to the Specular Intensity Material Property.

I know there is a greater focus on PBR workflow but hopefully this can be added back to the Spec shader.

Hello...

Unfortunately, We can't change Blender (such as the Roughness, Specular Intensity, and Transparency level parameters - This isn't the Toolset - It's Blender). Maybe, there is a shader node that is better suited for FSX/FSX: SE - will have to look.

The old Toolset didn't save or convert the textures, only the model(s). You are still able to paint textures within Blender (including transparency) and export them to a Photo Editor to be converted, etc.

Do you have an FSX model in blend file format That I can use while locating these parameters... sounds like that the parameters are changed/ missing (but not because of the Toolset).

Country
ecuador
Make sure the AO has clicked (on) for Metallic and the Blue channel also. and the Smoothness is for Metallic also.

There you go...!

After several hours of testing, here are my findings:

red channel : I see no difference in reflection whether the channel is white (255, 255, 255) or black (0,0,0)...!
green channel : contrast adjustment of the reflection - white = high contrast - black = little contrast
blue channel : intensity of reflection - white = reflection present - black = no reflection
alpha channel : sharpness of reflection - white = very sharp - black = very blurred

I used Doug's suggested settings from Blender :

Blender BPR Transparent.jpg

Everyone will find the setting that suits them! For my part, I imitate high contrasts and sharp reflection. For this reason, my Metalic Map has the following texture:

red channel : 255,255,255
green channel : 255,255,255
blue channel : 255,255,255
alpha channel : 255,255,255

I specify that the compilation of my model was made with P3Dv5. I copied the model and the textures in P3Dv4 : Transparency is present, brightness is present, reflection is present...! Same result as in P3Dv5...

Best regards, and have a good flight!

Last edited:
Hello...

Unfortunately, We can't change Blender (such as the Roughness, Specular Intensity, and Transparency level parameters - This isn't the Toolset - It's Blender). Maybe, there is a shader node that is better suited for FSX/FSX: SE - will have to look.

The old Toolset didn't save or convert the textures, only the model(s). You are still able to paint textures within Blender (including transparency) and export them to a Photo Editor to be converted, etc.

Do you have an FSX model in blend file format That I can use while locating these parameters... sounds like that the parameters are changed/ missing (but not because of the Toolset).

Doug,

Here's a simple cube created with Blender Render in Blender 2.79. Only Parameters given within Blender were Diffuse and Specular, colors, and Hardness level...Through the old tool FSX/P3D params is set using default settings (i.e., no transparency or special functionality.) so just trying to recreate something like this within the model material with the 2.83 Spec Shader without creating specific textures.

Attachments

• cube.MDL
    1.8 KB · Views: 141

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Chrismot,
One thing is curious with your example about four channels: all are white (255,255,255) ... normal or an typography error ? or I have understand nothing.

Country
ecuador
One thing is curious with your example about four channels: all are white (255,255,255) ... normal or an typography error ? or I have understand nothing.

Salut Didier,

That's totally correct! No typographical errors... Explanations:

red channel : Whether the channel is all white or all black, there is no difference observed. I set it to white...
green channel : I wanted maximum contrast, so I put all white...
blue channel : I wanted maximum intensity in the reflection, so I put all white....
alpha channel : and I also wanted total clarity (sharpness) of reflection, so I put in another all blank...

The result in P3Dv5 :

P3Dv5 Transparency.jpg

But, as I said, it is up to everyone to make their own tests to get the desired result! ;)

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
LOL who cleans your windows? NIce!

Of course, that different glass (colors) could also affect the reflection too. I take it that your Albedo is somewhat on the white side as well?