• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BGLViewer for FSX BGL files.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
so what are you trying to find? attach the bgl file to a post here and I will take a look

Country
netherlands
these are the files I am trying to see, but how?

Attachments

• encn_apx_GP.bgl
    590.7 KB · Views: 169
  • encn_lib.BGL
    202.2 KB · Views: 169
  • encn_obj.BGL
    5.2 KB · Views: 149

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There are 13 models in encn_lib.bgl. They are PV20 format which is P3D v2 and later. I can open the file happily in MCX and display the models

1603635993707.png

I can also load and place them in ADE.

1603636025644.png

What else do you want?

Country
netherlands
Oh thanks so much, it doesn't load with my ModelConverterX. If you can be so kind to convert them to obj and send them that would be enormously kind of you.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Best thing would be to get the latest version of MCX - then you are in control of the process

Country
ca-quebec
New version of BGL Viewer that can now read (or tries to) FS2020 BGL files.
Disclaimer :
- You should still be able to read FSX and some P3D files but this version does not maintain backward compatibility for those files.
- FS2020 is constantly evolving and what is working today may not work tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Country
france
Any chance to get a P3D V5 version ?
I am really missing this MUST HAVE bgl viewer, since v5...

Please ;)

Gérard

Country
france
Hi Patrick,

I would like to scan the .bgl files in my sceneries to detect old (FS9/2004) files which are mixed in some nice sceneries I still kept... but could give issues to P3DV5.

MCX for example detects old objects library (and allow, for private use of course) to convert to the V5 format
BGL Viewer don't show the Model Data and RIFF records under Qmid, so some "criteria" are missing (or different)

I would be very greatfull if I could get a "criteria" I could use while scanning the files with a simple and silly program I could write... (old C programmer here ;)

Gérard

Country
us-illinois
Hi Patrick:

Some initial feedback...

IIUC, based on analysis of BGL files for the (2) example Asobo default MSFS 2020 airports cited by Dick in this thread:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/changes-for-su9.455227/

...I do not see where BGLViewer2020_2_16 has interpreted the 'new' MSFS 2020 SU9 "Polygon" objects in ICAO KNFL: :oops:

[MSFS-2020 Packages install path]\Official\OneStore\asobo-airport-knfl-nas-fallon\scenery\Nas_Fallon\KNFL.bgl

BGLViewer2020_2_16
interprets "Apron" objects with what 'may' be code otherwise intended to define "Polygons" at KNFL.

BGLViewer2020_2_16 also interprets "Apron" objects" in the BGL format of the other example airport cited by Dick:

[MSFS-2020 Packages install path]\Official\OneStore\asobo-airport-kcof-patrickafb\scenery\KCOF.bgl

BGLViewer2020_2_16
also interprets "Airport Boundary" objects" in the vector BGL format at ICAO KCOF:

[MSFS-2020 Packages install path]\Official\OneStore\asobo-airport-kcof-patrickafb\scenery\shapes.bgl

Thanks again for your ongoing efforts with MSFS 2020 SU9 updates to your brilliant and very helpful FS utilities. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Gary.

Older Asobo and Microsoft defaults are still using the old shapefile polys, which are different from the new XML compiled format.
I think what you see with knfl and kcof are not really polygons, but the new VectorPlacement (fencelines).

Untitled.png

Attached is a combination of the new polys at HLGH. Working through the decompilations...

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Version 2.0.0.16
Trying to catch up on polygons changes. Can you guys try it and let me know of any issue ?
Hi Patrick.

The only issue I have is the altitude expressed as feet (and as an integer). I also note the compiler changes the location of points and altitudes slightly... probably to fit into the QMID scheme.
Untitled.png

I think the altitude is a FLOAT32.
Also, for anyone following along, the compiler splits polys along the QMID 11(?) border. So your decompiled polys may number more than the source number of polys. Also, a poly with 4 vertices will have 5 points in the viewer, which makes sense as that is how the sim knows it's a closed loop, and therefore a poly and not a line.

Last edited: