• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender Quest for Animated People - distorted animation in MSFS

This is from Christian's 3dMax, I exported it from babylon as gltf. I then imported the gltf with the standard blender gltf importer. I specified the correct PNG to the MSFS settings. I then exported as MSFS gltf, constructed the SimObject package, compiled. It works. The included blend file should also work as I took that from the imported 3dsMax.

I'm not sure what we were doing wrong, but comparing our failed versions to the good one should give the clue.
Sounds like you are using a completely different work flow than Kev. Ughh.

There is a animated flag thread where they find out how to export bone animations in blender.

The default state is the key.

The key to the bone animations in the flag animation thread is that the animation were created IN BLENDER. The problem here is that the animations are created with other tools, and we don't yet have a clear set of directions on how to reliably get these animations into Blender (without using 3DS Max), then export them to MSFS.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The SimObject is in the download in the Carla subfolder as a project... ready to compile. I really didn't change anything from the 3dsMax gltf I made, which I then imported to Blender, other than re-assign the PBR png files to the material.

Then Carla is a glTF file exported from Blender, Dick?
Yes. The gltf is from Blender, and the .blend file should create that as well, ready to export as MSFS glTF.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The key to the bone animations in the flag animation thread is that the animation were created IN BLENDER. The problem here is that the animations are created with other tools, and we don't yet have a clear set of directions on how to reliably get these animations into Blender (without using 3DS Max), then export them to MSFS.
Just look at the carla.blend file I made. It is made from Blender. And the glTF I made is from Blender.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
At that point it gets too complicated for me, I get off here. That's all I can do. There seems to be a solution, make something of it, wish you every success! Thank you Dick for your help in helping the Blender Developers on their way :)

Okay, so it was an animation that originated in 3DS Max. The challenge that we are working on is to take an animated model from mixamo in FBX format, import it directly into Blender, then export it from Blender to MSFS. Kev only got this to work with his alien FBX file by importing it into 3DS Max and exporting it to MSFS from there. We are experimenting to see if there is a way to do this without 3DS Max. In other words, to get an animated figure from mixamo to Blender to MSFS, what FBX import settings or other manipulations in Blender will get the data into a state where it can be successfully exported from Blender to MSFS? No luck so far.

Thank you for the sample models. They provide very helpful references.

Nope. But I just managed to get it to work in Blender. Have to run to dinner right now, but will post instructions later.

Here is a little video of a couple of animated people I brought from mixamo to Blender to MSFS (no 3DS Max used).

I have also uploaded a zip file that includes (1) an FBX file exported from mixamo, (2) the Blender file I created from the FBX, and (3) the MSFS project I exported the Blender file to.

Based on my experiments with animated people generated on mixamo, there are four key elements to creating a file in Blender that can be exported to MSFS: (1) correct scale, (2) correct rotation, (3) save animation as an NLA track, and (4) store the default T-pose as a default NLA track. Here are the detailed steps:

Correct Scale​

If you are uploading a model to mixamo:
  • Scale your Tpose object to the correct final size and Apply All Transforms in Blender before exporting as an Obj file.
  • Import the Obj file into mixamo and process into an animated model.
  • Export FBX file from mixamo.
  • Import FBX file into Blender with Scale=100, "Use Pre/Post Rotation", and "Ignore Leaf Bones" checked. This should ensure that the scale of the armature and the mesh match.
If you are working with a stock mixamo model, you will have to experiment with scale a bit. The mesh on some of the underlying models are 100 times the scale of the armature, in which case you should do this:
  • Import FBX file into Blender with Scale=1, "Use Pre/Post Rotation", and "Ignore Leaf Bones" checked.
  • Once loaded into Blender, you will need to adjust the scale of the mesh to 0.01 in addition to adjusting the rotation in the next step. The key is to make sure that the scale and rotation of the armature and mesh match after the Parent/Child relationship is severed.

Correct Rotation (and scale)​

• Select the mesh, then in the Object Properties, under Relations, click the X to break the Parent relationship to the Armature (the mesh will now look really bad).
  • Select the mesh and change its X Rotation to 90 degrees (the mesh should look okay again). Adjust scale of the mesh if needed (see previous step).

Save Animation as NLA Track​

• Open the Nonlinear Animation tool.
  • Rename the action strip to the name of your animation in your XML file; e.g., "aliendance".
  • Click the button to "Push Down" the action to a track.
  • Rename the track to match the action strip; e.g., "aliendance".

Create Default State​

• Switch to the Timeline tool and set the frame to zero.
  • Select the Armature and switch to Pose Mode.
  • Select the Armature and click Pose / Clear Transform / All (model should now be in T-pose).
  • Type "i" for Insert Keyframe and select "Location, Rotation & Scale".
  • Advance Timeline to frame 1 (model should still be in T-pose).
  • Advance Timeline to frame 2 (model should still be in T-pose).
  • Switch to the Nonlinear Animation tool.
  • Rename new action strip "Default_State".
  • Rename the track "Default_State".
  • Make sure that the Default_State track is listed above the animation track in the Nonlinear Amination tool.

Apply Materials and Export​

• Switch back to Object Mode.
  • Apply materials to the mesh as needed.
  • Select All.
  • Export to MSFS. For structure of MSFS project and XML configuration, see example files linked above.

Country
unitedkingdom
Here is a little video of a couple of animated people I brought from mixamo to Blender to MSFS (no 3DS Max used).

I have also uploaded a zip file that includes (1) an FBX file exported from mixamo, (2) the Blender file I created from the FBX, and (3) the MSFS project I exported the Blender file to.

Based on my experiments with animated people generated on mixamo, there are four key elements to creating a file in Blender that can be exported to MSFS: (1) correct scale, (2) correct rotation, (3) save animation as an NLA track, and (4) store the default T-pose as a default NLA track. Here are the detailed steps:

Correct Scale​

If you are uploading a model to mixamo:
  • Scale your Tpose object to the correct final size and Apply All Transforms in Blender before exporting as an Obj file.
  • Import the Obj file into mixamo and process into an animated model.
  • Import FBX file into Blender with Scale=100, "Use Pre/Post Rotation", and "Ignore Leaf Bones" checked. This should ensure that the scale of the armature and the mesh match.
If you are working with a stock mixamo model, you will have to experiment with scale a bit. The mesh on some of the underlying models are 100 times the scale of the armature, in which case you should do this:
  • Import FBX file into Blender with Scale=1, "Use Pre/Post Rotation", and "Ignore Leaf Bones" checked.
  • Once loaded into Blender, you will need to adjust the scale of the mesh to 0.01 in addition to adjusting the rotation in the next step. The key is to make sure that the scale and rotation of the armature and mesh match after the Parent/Child relationship is severed.

Correct Rotation (and scale)​

• Select the mesh, then in the Object Properties, under Relations, click the X to break the Parent relationship to the Armature (the mesh will now look really bad).
  • Select the mesh and change its X Rotation to 90 degrees (the mesh should look okay again). Adjust scale of the mesh if needed (see previous step).

Save Animation as NLA Track​

• Open the Nonlinear Animation tool.
  • Rename the action strip to the name of your animation in your XML file; e.g., "aliendance".
  • Rename the track to match the action strip; e.g., "aliendance".

Create Default State​

• Switch to the Timeline tool and set the frame to zero.
  • Select the Armature and switch to Pose Mode.
  • Select the Armature and click Pose / Clear Transform / All (model should now be in T-pose).
  • Advance Timeline to frame 1 (model should still be in T-pose).
  • Advance Timeline to frame 2 (model should still be in T-pose).
  • Switch to the Nonlinear Animation tool.
  • Rename new action strip "Default_State".
  • Rename the track "Default_State".
  • Make sure that the Default_State track is listed above the animation track in the Nonlinear Amination tool.

Apply Materials and Export​

• Switch back to Object Mode.
  • Apply materials to the mesh as needed.
  • Select All.
  • Export to MSFS. For structure of MSFS project and XML configuration, see example files linked above.
This is a great bit of detective work :) I could see there was scaling/rotation problem but how to resolve it was beyond me. TYVM

I got as far as this in 3DS but I think I'll switch back to Blender as I'm more comfortable working in that environment. Considering what the sim is having to render I am still getting a good 40fps in 4k ultra :)

Kev

Country
france
Hi @trfsd

As a developer I am using MSFS version 1.18.3 and it doesn't seem to work anymore, the human remains in T position,
I might be wrong but I tried your trs-boss file as is, the animation does not play.

Could someone confirm MSFS version 1.18.3, I can't go back?

Country
italy
I can't test, but I'm following the discussion and have a question
so, looking at your xml file
I would say that then, in the absence of particular triggers, you can use it as a normal SceneryObj (and not as a SimObj since the animation is tandard), right?
for example a cat wandering in loop around the airport :)

Country
france
I am running 1.17.3. I assume that 1.18.3 has not been released to us consumers yet?
not yet published, at the end of July

I can't test, but I'm following the discussion and have a question
so, looking at your xml file
I would say that then, in the absence of particular triggers, you can use it as a normal SceneryObj (and not as a SimObj since the animation is tandard), right?
for example a cat wandering in loop around the airport :)
Yes the simobject is not mandatory

I hope I'm wrong but I have bad news :(
It doesn't work at all in version 1.18.3 :(

I sent my file to a friend and it works with version 1.17.3 ...

Country
italy
that's why asobo opened to some testers
because you may find the bugs, so when updates comes out, for the community, they are gone :)
or more likely, we now know in advance what will break :D

Country
unitedkingdom
not yet published, at the end of July

Yes the simobject is not mandatory

I hope I'm wrong but I have bad news :(
It doesn't work at all in version 1.18.3 :(

I sent my file to a friend and it works with version 1.17.3 ...
Well that sucks but very typical of every update so far :( Hopefully there will be a workaround

Kev