• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE SDK File Queries (FSX)

Country
india
I downloaded the latest version of ADE for FSX (I have the original non-deluxe FSX version). Knowing that ADE needs the BglCompiler and Shp2Vec program files to work, I downloaded the P3D SDK files that would also be compatible for editing airports in FSX. (And it did work.)

But after downloading ADE I noticed that the installation already came with the required Shp2Vec and BglCompiler files -- my question is, were these added later on for those who didn't have the required SDK files or are these older program files that shouldn't be used? Why didn't the ADE program locate these with the 'Find' files feature while setting up the ADE installation for the first time if they are usable?

If the included SDK files are safe to use, then can I use them instead of the P3D SDK files I had to download?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello..

Not certain, but the compiler that you mentioned is for FS9, not FSX. The P3D SDK v1.4 should be used.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ADE does not ship bglcomp or shp2vec compilers by default other than for FS9. As Doug states if you are using ADE for FSX then please use the P3D v1.4 SDK Any later version of the P3D SDK can generate code that will not work in FSX

Country
india
Could you confirm that these programs that came along with ADE after being installed are for only FS9?

This is in the main ADE folder:
Capture1.JPG

This is in the FSX folder:
Capture2.JPG

Since ADE needs Shp2Vec and the BglComp only from the SDK's, is it possible to only have these two programs left in a separate file and delete the other files that came with the entire P3D SDK installer? I'm running low on space so I wanted to know if it would be possible to only keep the required programs and delete the rest.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
What version of ADE are you using? 1.78? I am not sure what you are asking - is this about removing parts of the SDK or removing files from ADE or both?

I have moved this thread to the ADE support forum

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Don't delete anything; you'll screw up the program. If you are that low on disk space, you cannot possibly be serious about creating scenery.

You'd be better off spending your time getting a part-time job and saving the money to buy a hard-drive. Then you can quit that job and design airports with plenty of room to spare. This is the best advice I have. An external hard-drive can he had for under $50 US.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Dick is correct. Don't remove any files from inside ADE even if they appear to be the same as SDK files. Don't start removing parts of the SDK to save space. There is more to the bgl compiler than the executable you are looking at. SDKs need to match the version of the sim that you are working with.

Country
india
What version of ADE are you using? 1.78? I am not sure what you are asking - is this about removing parts of the SDK or removing files from ADE or both?

I have moved this thread to the ADE support forum

What I meant to ask was that since the P3D SDK files are working as needed and they're the only files needed from the SDK, can I place ONLY the environment SDK into the ADE folder and direct the program to them and delete the rest of the P3D SDK files that aren't needed? Or can I replace (only) the Shp2Vec and BglCompiler files on ADE with the P3D SDK files? Would it be safe to do so?

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No - please don't do that. Leave any files in ADE alone whatever they may look like they match some in the SDK. Install the SDK fully and point ADE to it in the settings. What you see are not the only files needed from the SDK. I have now run out of ways of saying all this. For the avoidance of doubt I am the developer of ADE and I do know how it works.