• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender2MSFS support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
The SDK recommends using 16 bit, but it states clearly that especially the metallic/comp textures have to have a 16bit resolution.
My Substance Painter Export Preset creates 8 bit Albedo, 8 bit Normal and 16 bit Metallic PNGs. And that seem to work fine.

Country
senegal
The SDK recommends using 16 bit, but it states clearly that especially the metallic/comp textures have to have a 16bit resolution.
My Substance Painter Export Preset creates 8 bit Albedo, 8 bit Normal and 16 bit Metallic PNGs. And that seem to work fine.
Apparently in Substance Painter you have to select File type export "Based on output template" in order to have only the COMP texture in 16 bit. Now I have to convert about 20 or so textures!

Country
us-texas
I wrote this little utility here to help automate the folder creations if anyone is interested, post comments in other thread though (not here as it could get long winded). Even though it's relatively simple, it can save quite a bit of time when having issues, because you no longer have to keep cutting / pasting the folders back and forth every time an export doesn't compile. You can just click the button and it will generate the entire folder structure.

Thread for discussing is here:

Country
canada
I wrote this little utility here to help automate the folder creations if anyone is interested, post comments in other thread though (not here as it could get long winded). Even though it's relatively simple, it can save quite a bit of time when having issues, because you no longer have to keep cutting / pasting the folders back and forth every time an export doesn't compile. You can just click the button and it will generate the entire folder structure.

Thread for discussing is here:
Wow thanks I would love to be able to download it and give it a go.

Country
canada
I have a question about day/night cycle for the lights: I have a simple point light, I set "has symmetry" and "da/night cycle" on, but the lights are on all the time in the sim. I have the latest version. What am I doing wrong?

Country
us-california
@Av8rThor your error indeed looks like the one we got with previous versions of the toolkit. I'd recommend you clean up your installation and try that again. To do that:
1. open Blender, go to the preferences and uninstall the toolkit.
2. go to %APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender\<version>\scripts\addons\ and make sure that there's no MSFSToolkit folder in there. If so, go ahead and delete it
3. Open you 2.9x Blender again, preferences-> addons and install the addon from the zip file again.

Keep us up to date if this worked! :wizard:
i deleted the files you mentioned, they were under 8.3 after removing the installed toolkit from both versions of blender. I tried to install into 2.9, and got the same message. my blender is actually 2.9.1 is that a problem? i wouldn't think so. Also, my emissive textures dont emit, did that get fixed.... funny thing, Thestons on you tube worked fine

Country
brazil
I'm having a problem with glass on an airplane, the borders of the glass mesh are a bit transparent, but the middle is black, can't see anything through

I'm using an albedo, metallic and normal textures that started out as based on the default KA 350, then I "made" my own (quotes because it's just the same shade of gray from the KA350 on albedo, red in comp and plain blue on norm), with the same result

on top of that I also noticed the packager ignores the glass textures (I'm using the cmd packager) in the source folder and the package output comes without them, which forces me to manually add them there (with .json files "borrowed" from the KA since it didn't create them)

when I tried the suggestion a few pages back, of using it without the textures, it did work, but it wasn't as reflective as the default planes

also, while we are at it, I noticed some detail glass textures on the base textures folder, how do I use them?

TIA!

Country
finland
Nothing is working with this texture issue, done 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit and even 48 bit and NOTHING but white textures.
My models on all my published airport sceneries are all fine with textures in place for me. But one user reported white buildings (so far only one - the sceneries have been downloaded hundreds of times). So I beleive that it is some very specific combination of something that is causing this... Other add-ons, drivers, don't know. And hard to guess and test when I don't have that problem myself...

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,
A lot or users copy the samples to begin own project and forget to change the name of some directories or files produced by the build process like mymodellib.bgl.
The result is that if you use several addons with a modelib.bgl file in the virtual file system MSFS can use only the last declaration of this file and overlaps the others.
This possibility does not be discovered by me but in an another post about MSFS textures overlaps.
It will be interesting to see in tour case if it is that occurs ... May be ?

I will ask an another time that this thread Is about Blender2MSFS not on texture problems.
Reading and asking questions on right threads will be more productive for all of us.

Last edited:
Country
finland
Now today, when I started the sim also all my buildings are white!!! Damn... And now also other users are reporting it. Seems that also the Livery Megapack has lost its textures according to one report on Discord. I don't have that add-on so can't check... And the problem is there also in the editor...

FlightSimulator 2020-09-30 09-43-38-22.jpg

Last edited:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Do you take in account my answers about mymodellib.bgl? As I see on your screenshot you use the orignal name so it can be the problem.
Try to rename it ....

Last edited:
Country
finland
I changed the name of the modellib folder to EFTU_lib and the corresponding settings in the xml. Restarted, opened the project, rebuilt, closed the sim, copied the package to Community. Now there is no modellib.bgl, the EFTU_lib.bgl is there, all textures in place and references to the files correct in layout.json. Resarted the sim (actually a couple of times already), but...

FlightSimulator 2020-09-30 11-03-16-66.jpg

So the problem was not with modellib.bgl. And it worked up until the patch. I have no cache (rolling or local) activated.

Country
finland
SOLUTION FOUND!

My folder structure was as follows in all my sceneries

• MY_PACKAGE
    • CONTENTINFO
      • AIRPORT
        • Thumbnail.jpg
    • SCENERY
      • airport.bgl
      • airport_contents.bgl
      • modellib.bgl
      • TEXTURE
        • all textures
    • layout.json
    • manifest.json
In the layout,json this structure was correctly referenced and everything worked up until the 1.9.3 patch.

Now, I restructured the files and folders in the SCENERY as follows:
  • SCENERY
    • GLOBAL
      • SCENERY
        • modellib.bgl
        • TEXTURE
          • All textures
    • WORLD
      • SCENERY
        • airport.bgl
        • airport_contents.bgl
Changed the references in layout.json to reflect this

And now all textures are back!

So after the patch the sim does not read the json and respect the definitions thera, but it requires that the folder structure above is followed! Bad. Now I have to rebuild all my sceneries and redistribute them.... :mad:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
When running MSFS, the Official/Onestore and Community files are combined in a VFS (virtual file system) which uses an FS-like tree structure with directories such as scenery\global, scenery\world, simobjects, effects, etc.
Looking at your screenshots, it seems that the textures searched for are not found (white colors)
In the DEV mode, it is possible via the menu to browse the VFS and see if the expected files are there or if they have been overwritten by others (identical names). It is a way to investigate.

Country
us-texas
This game is well coded, but the one part they really fouled up is that the directory structuring is absolutely horrid. They should have made it one single package GUID at the root of every directory, and all sub-directories should only be one-level (two absolute max)... The way they structured the folders is non-sense, causing everyone hours and hours of issues.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
No, I disagree, your VFS should use an FS-like tree structure with directories such as scenery\global, scenery\world, simobjects, effects, etc.
If it is no .... it could not work !
I admit that this VFS is a headache and it is not simple but if you understand the principle and apply it it should be very near of FSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.