Does GPW convert correctly?

These two BGLs need to be put in place in the same scenery folder of Addons. One bgl made for FSX and the second for P3D. Together they give the right runway with the shadow of an aircraft, but without the effect of the reflection of the sun

Attachments

This bgl I did for P3D. It works correctly, except for one bug - there is no shadow. How I did it, I do not know. Repeat to make it again, I can not at the moment.

Attachments

One question. Do you have ANY semi-transparent textures on a layer below the runway textures? If you do, don't. P3D material settings on the runway will not work if you have any transparencies below the runway.

DavidR

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I'm not sure I can follow what you mean with all those BGL files you post. I thought the issue we were discussing was that some polygons dissapear to quickly when using MDL files in P3D. But now you mention issues about shadow and reflection as well, that's not what we were discussing before.

I will try to explain. I don’t understand why these files have no problems with the disappearance of textures ... I thought that this would also be interesting for you and help you find the epicenter of the problem.

David, under the runway there is only AFKAD made in ADE. I published a package of files, you can see their structure in the model converter, if you want.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I will try to explain. I don’t understand why these files have no problems with the disappearance of textures ... I thought that this would also be interesting for you and help you find the epicenter of the problem.
So you mean the P3D BGL file you posted above does not suffer from the object dissapearing too soon?

FSX files use a completely different technique and have their visiblity conditions controlled in another way. So that they are not affected makes sense.

if you are talking about the last file I published (it is one), then I confirm that it does not suffer from the disappearance of textures. He just has no shadow. But I remember exactly what I did with his p3d

All I write is a report of my research and observation so that you can more easily find and kill this problem. Of course, if it's in your capabilities.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
if you are talking about the last file I published (it is one), then I confirm that it does not suffer from the disappearance of textures. He just has no shadow. But I remember exactly what I did with his p3d
And what did you do differently when making this BGL compared to the ones that show the disappearing? I notice this one has not been grouped by 500 meter, but yesterday you reported that even the non-grouped BGL had this problem. So what is different this time?

I conducted many experiments and became entangled in the algorithms of my actions. I need time to re-play this file. And it seems I used the export of objects to get mdl and export scenario. I do not remember exactly. Give me time and I will try to repeat and describe my actions. Today I can not, I leave for work, I will arrive late in the evening.

Arno, those who are not grouped really have a problem as I described above. But this is when using GPW. And in this file I managed not to use it when converting to bgl. By this I left it for the sample.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I did some more testing. I have compared two situations:

1. Your file processed with the GPW
  2. Your file manually corrected for the earth curvation and exported as BGL from MCX
In both cases I did not group the polygons, so the runway is one object.

The difference between these two situations is that your runway is given a heading. So the GPW will rotate all polygons and create a MDL file that is placed with heading 0. When not using the GPW the heading is put in the BGLComp XML file and the MDL polygons are not rotated.

This seems to make a difference, because in the GPW situation I do indeed see that the polygons disappear too soon. If I increase the bounding box size of the MDL that the GPW made, with the RADItor tool, I can fix this problem. So making the bounding box bigger is a work around that solves the problem.

However the bounding box values seem correct, so I don't understand yet why they need to be increased. That's something I need to investigate a bit more I guess.

Arno, I agree with you, because I can not find a method like I got this bgl.
Now, regarding the bounding box ... I do not know how much to increase it. But I tried to increase the radius to a value of 1500 m. This is more than it was. Then I exported MDL using GPW in standard mode and got a BGL. But unfortunately the situation has not changed. Maybe I'm doing wrong, if so, correct me.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
And you need to alter the bounding box, not the radius. After tweaking the mdl you only need to make the bgl again with bglcomp. Don't use MCX anymore, as that will overwrite the tweaks.

Hi! That is, you want to say that I first have to set up the altitude, the location, set the layers into the material, then convert it into a mdl file. Then increase the bounding box, write and throw mdl in the bglcomp. I understood correctly?

Friends, I do not know how to do it. I need a clear example of the process. You can tell me how to do this and how much to increase the bounding box in my case. I would be very grateful for the hint.

tgibson

Resource contributor
1. Start RADItor.
2. Press the ... button and browse to your MDL file.
3. Click the Read button.
4. Do not touch the Radius value, but increase the bounding box values. Typically if the MDL file is symmetrical, you put in numbers like:

-1000 1000
-200 200
-5 5

The Z axis is small since these are flat polygons. Adjust the X and Y values so they are bigger than when you pressed the Read button.

5. Press the Write button.

You are finished, your MDL file has been modified.

Hope this helps,