• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 [ERROR] Model Already in List

Hi All,

I was editing an airport yesterday and I had already placed on model, but when I tried to add another model ADE gave me this error. The model I was trying to add had a different name too. I would like to add another model to my list, but this is blocking me from doing that.

Thank you for your time
KH

This is what Im getting, its attached below

Attachments

• MAIL.PNG
    MAIL.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 332
Country
newzealand
Not sure if this will help, did the models have the same GUID numbers/letters
can you show us the model list, not the error

Country
newzealand
Then that's why you cannot add them to the models list, you need the models to have different GUID No's
as i don't have P3D I'm not sure if you can change them (GUID No's) with Arno's MCX so they work in P3D, so perhaps someone else will be able to help you who uses P3D
but this is what you need to do to be able to add them to the models list

Country
newzealand
You could ask the person who created them.............
they may have all started from the original model

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Ray nailed it. Models need to have different GUIDs - unique numbers that identify them. If not then the Sim can become confused since it may not display the correct object or none of them.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ray nailed it. Models need to have different GUIDs - unique numbers that identify them. If not then the Sim can become confused since it may not display the correct object or none of them.
This is a mistaken assumption. The simulator (and MCX) requires only one unique character in name or GUID in order to distinguish a model. I invite you to download and explore the Luke Object Library, which I have done extensively.

GUID.jpg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I will look at this Rick but it is worth noting that this is for FS9 and the format of models and where and how GUIDs are defined is different. As I recall and it is a while since I looked. In FS9 the guid is defined separately in XML code and there is no name field so it needs to be generated by the de-compiler (ADE does this as well). In FSX/P3D the GUID and name are embedded in the model itself.

In FS9 we specify a model thus:

Code:
<ModelData
name=”4a5ceec84f2a9e27f12ee7a40f0c856c”
sourceFile=”MyModel.MDL”
fileOffset=”0”/>

In FSX and later it is:

Code:
<ModelData
      sourceFile="testx.MDL" />

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
So you are saying P3D and FSX ignore the line that has the FS9 GUID and MCX uses the parent library .bgl GUID instead. I am pretty sure that when the objects are placed, they retain that GUID. This was in P3D V2:

ground%20crew.jpg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
MCX gets the GUID for FSX and later objects from the BGL file, just like every other program (including FS). That's where that list you displayed comes from.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
MCX gets the GUID for FSX and later objects from the BGL file, just like every other program (including FS). That's where that list you displayed comes from.
Please consider a standard FSX style library .bgl. It contains a list of models, each with their own distinct GUID's, along with it's own GUID, very similar to the image linked above. Now please carefully review the linked image above, you might notice that all the model GUID's are identical. This is presumably because the library .bgl is composed of FS9 style models, that store the GUID in a location that MCX does not scan, consequently it assigns the library .bgl GUID to them; it's a presumption I was asking Jon to confirm.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I must admit to not using MCX. Arno would be able to explain how he assigns GUIDs to FS9 objects in a library. I can say that if you load a FS9 library into the ADE Library Object Manager then the objects it contains should have different GUIDs. Names for FS9 models do not exist so the generally accepted method is to use the library name followed by an incrementing index. This is purely for the convenience of the user. As far as I know no version of FS make any use of the names.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

This is not correct. I just loaded an FS9 library BGL file into MCX and all the GUIDs are different (and correct). In FSX the GUID is contained within each MDL file, in FS9 the GUIDs are contained in the BGL file that provides the container for the MDL files. In either case MCX has all the information it needs when it loads the BGL file. It looks to me that the library BGL file you loaded may be causing MCX to throw an error in some way.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I checked out that library, and it works fine for me - each object has a (slightly) different GUID in MCX:

luke_afb.jpg