• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Fix for windsock blowing the wrong way

Country
unitedkingdom
So I noticed the other day that the windsock object on my airfield is out by 180 degrees.
I opened the XML and sure enough the 'heading' is set to 179.9995 (it's not even exactly 180).
Resetting it to 0 makes it indicate the wind direction correctly.
I have no idea why its added with a 180 rotation, seems nuts.

*EDIT to clarify*... this is the DEFAULT heading when you add a Windsock, if you don't fix it your windsock is always pointing INTO the wind

Last edited:
Country
senegal
So I noticed the other day that the windsock object on my airfield is out by 180 degrees.
I opened the XML and sure enough the 'heading' is set to 179.9995 (it's not even exactly 180).
Resetting it to 0 makes it indicate the wind direction correctly.
I have no idea why its added with a 180 rotation, seems nuts.
I'm not a programmer but I see a lot of data like that in the sim. When using gizmos to rotate objects they never get to the exact angle sometime even if you type it in. I think they have a floating point issue or something.

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm not a programmer but I see a lot of data like that in the sim. When using gizmos to rotate objects they never get to the exact angle sometime even if you type it in. I think they have a floating point issue or something.
This is not after rotating it, this is the DEFAULT value when all you do is add the object.... it's why the windsock always points INTO the wind

Country
sweden
This is not after rotating it, this is the DEFAULT value when all you do is add the object.... it's why the windsock always points INTO the wind
Is this the default windsock you are talking about? Now I am doing an airfield scenery but the windsock I found in the default object library seem to be fixed. When I tried it in the sim it was not animated. Or is there an option to turn on the animation?

Country
germany
The animated windsock can be found in the drop-down menu (last entry) of the object browser. It works fine for me, except that it needs to be rotated by 180° in order to have it show the correct wind direction.

Country
sweden
The animated windsock can be found in the drop-down menu (last entry) of the object browser. It works fine for me, except that it needs to be rotated by 180° in order to have it show the correct wind direction.
Thanks, I will have a look again then. Good to know this workaround of an obvious bug, regarding the correct animation.

Country
germany
I hope they have a look at the windsock soon. It's not only the direction bug. Another problem is that you can modify parameters for the size of the pole and the sock, but those are simply ignored.

I'm curious whether the stock windsock gets fixed before or after I've figured out how to build my own wind sock ;)

Country
finland
We would need an adjustable, working windsock (sock only, so it can be attached to any pole model)... There are no socks like the default one on the small airfields I have been making. But it is out of my knowledge to make one...

Country
germany
I've no idea how to make a model configurable in MSFS. However, once I figured out how to create a convincing windsock animation, I can share my model such that you can change its texture.

Country
finland
Excellent. It does not need to be configurable, if it is just a textured sock we can change the texture and then change it's size and attach it to any kind of pole in Dev mode!

Country
germany
All right, I'll see what I can do. Then the plan would be to create a windsock without a pole and a texture for easily modifying the appearance. I already did some research on the animation part, but I likely need a while to learn the required skills to do a reasonably good animation. So please be patient ;)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I'm also currently working on the topic of dynamic windsocks. With the help of the articles posted here in the forum on the subject of Model Behavior, I got it solved like this:

a) the first bone is used for the 360 ° rotation
b) the remaining 5 bones control the sack

mfs_sdk_dynamic_windsock.jpg

Here is the code of the XML file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ModelInfo version="1.1" guid="{849258cb-7380-44dd-8259-137963580d5a}">

<LODS>
<LOD MinSize="0" ModelFile="edle_windsack.gltf"></LOD>
</LODS>

<Animation name="windsack_staerke" guid="a6c48876-4ed1-199e-aaf4-0be082f93fc1" length="500" type="Standard" typeParam2="windsack_staerke" typeParam="AutoPlay,Random"/>
<Animation name="windsack_richtung" guid="51f68415-fed9-1214-931a-0be082f86e41" length="360" type="Sim" typeParam2="windsack_richtung" typeParam="AutoPlay"/>

<PartInfo>
<Name>windsack_richtung</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Code>(A:AMBIENT WIND DIRECTION, Degrees)</Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

</ModelInfo>
Thanks to @Steffsim !

In the MFS it looks like this:

Dynamic Windsock in the MFS as a SimObject

Country
unitedstates
Here's my local windsock... It's lit inside at night, and only the second half flaps in the wind depending on wind speed, the first half is a rigid cone.
20201017_153149.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Btw, in the default windsock, I was able to scale the windsock object by using the options in the properties window.

But I have found it ignores the altitude property, I tried to stick it on the roof of a building. No matter what altitude I give it, it sits on the tip of the ridge of the roof. It looks as I set in devmode when I open the project, but wrong in game.

Country
germany
@Christian Bahr this looks pretty cool! As a result of my research, I'm planning to do some experiments with Blender's cloth simulation. But apparently, it isn't straight forward to export it to the sim: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flag-waving-in-the-wind-direction.449666/post-861152

If this fails, I'll try to replicate in Blender what you have done. In any case, I'll also try to make the animation dependent on the wind speed (see code in the other discussion).

@FlyingsCool For me, it looked like the windsock ignores both scaling properties, but I'll have another look at it. I also don't see the windsock in dev mode at all. It only appears later in game.

For replicating the behavior of the windsock in your photo, you would need to have a specific animation. But when one has working it once, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Country
unitedstates
@Christian Bahr this looks pretty cool! As a result of my research, I'm planning to do some experiments with Blender's cloth simulation. But apparently, it isn't straight forward to export it to the sim: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flag-waving-in-the-wind-direction.449666/post-861152

If this fails, I'll try to replicate in Blender what you have done. In any case, I'll also try to make the animation dependent on the wind speed (see code in the other discussion).

@FlyingsCool For me, it looked like the windsock ignores both scaling properties, but I'll have another look at it. I also don't see the windsock in dev mode at all. It only appears later in game.

For replicating the behavior of the windsock in your photo, you would need to have a specific animation. But when one has working it once, this shouldn't be a big deal.
That's correct. It only shows up after you've built the project and it's part of the scenery. The funny thing is what I mentioned, it somehow sees the building in game and won't nestle partially inside it, but when you enter dev mode, it goes to the correct altitude. I tried it a couple of times with a couple altitudes and the result was the same, correct altitude once you enter dev mode, on top of the building in game.

Country
germany

I tried it many hours in blender (with bones), but unfortunately without success. In principle it works (rotation to winddirection and animation depending on windspeed), but unfortunately it always distorts the windsock.
I think it's a problem of blender or blender2msfs. Hope you get it, I gave up at the moment.