• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Global AI Ship Traffic FSX, P3D and MSFS2020

Country
denmark
Adding to the above post on transparencies with the converted files - those models with nets around the helidecks works well when using a separate texture for the model part in DXT3.

20091010221816112917017995.jpg

Country
unitedstates
To give some numbers... 3000 textures, 300 effect files, 600-700 mdl files... For the effect files there is no solution currently; the textures I'm sure I am able to get around, but all light maps needs to be replaced - that is 1500 light maps; 500-600 DXT5 textures will need to be changed - eventually with change to the model - it will be a lot of work. There might also be a performance issue regards to the converted mdl files - at least it needs to be investigated. I run MSFS on a really high spec computer bought for the purpose and do not see any issue, but got a message yesterday with a heads up on this potential issue. Ant then I still want to finished the above mentioned Classic project, which is actually more fun, than correcting textures....

That said, I will this weekend post the how-to on a do-it-yourself quick conversion - it will leave you with the above issues, but you will have ships all over and most will look good - it is already in my thread on www.pilote-virtuel.com posted by Marc (Flying V), but before pasing it on I just wan't to be able to give an instruction on some models which should be removed as they do not work at all - they come out white due to BMP textures. Remember, the project has many contributors, so while I have been quite consistent with the way I do my own models some of the other models were first done for FS9, then converted to FSX,/P3D.

Thanks for the update! Can you give me one example of what DXT textures need to be changed? Source and destination example, so to speak. Maybe something I can help you with

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
SR.N4 = instant sick-ship. I know... and the ride was as hard as hell too. Also: I started in H&W as an IT contractor just as the Schiehallion was finished. As you say, it was a big b****r. IIRC it was also the cause of a steep decline in H&W's fortunes. Because of design changes made by Glomar (?) during the contruction, it was delivered late. Glomar then sued H&W for for £millions for late delivery and won, because there was nothing in the contract to cover delays made by those changes. Effectively, Glomar got the Schiehallion for nothing.

Edit: wrong ship. The Schiehallion went to BP. Glomar did the dirty with Glomar Explorer and her sister ship. I still mind the day they were towed out of the shipyard heading for some far-Eastern shipyard to be fitted out because it was cheap.

Last edited:
Country
malaysia
Is there any separate downloadable file for MSFS or it is the same file which is being used for FSX and P3D? Please give direct link for latest MSFS file.

Country
unitedkingdom
SR.N4 = instant sick-ship. I know... and the ride was as hard as hell too. Also: I started in H&W as an IT contractor just as the Schiehallion was finished. As you say, it was a big b****r. IIRC it was also the cause of a steep decline in H&W's fortunes. Because of design changes made by Glomar (?) during the contruction, it was delivered late. Glomar then sued H&W for for £millions for late delivery and won, because there was nothing in the contract to cover delays made by those changes. Effectively, Glomar got the Schiehallion for nothing.

Edit: wrong ship. The Schiehallion went to BP. Glomar did the dirty with Glomar Explorer and her sister ship. I still mind the day they were towed out of the shipyard heading for some far-Eastern shipyard to be fitted out because it was cheap.

I was only about 9 when she was floated out. I remember watching it from my bedroom window. Not the big ship ever to be in that dry dock, but biggest I'd seen as a kid. My friend from school's Dad was a draughtsman at H&W and he had a massive drawing of her in their hall. I think she was only scraped in the last year or so, so certainly lasted well.

Country
denmark
Thank you for the update. I thought it was released since the title stated MSFS2020.
Yes, as mentioned nothing is out yet. But we are working hard on it and the tag is because we need clever ideas to resolve the challenges we meet in the conversion. And just not to raise expectations too high - what will come out will be a soft-conversion based on mdl files and not glTF format files. Also it will be standard wakes assuming that they might be corrected first and they do display even if not perfectly.

Today Knud started converting those ships which by different designers were done with BMP textures - once again Arno's MCX is simply the most essential tool in the simworld.

Country
denmark
Thanks for the update! Can you give me one example of what DXT textures need to be changed? Source and destination example, so to speak. Maybe something I can help you with
Thanks, we are looking at it and will come back - there might be a need in some models to go back in the source model, but I will quantify over the weekend to see which strategy to follow - that is how many hours to invest...

The French Floreal Class was first to be corrected, so here a bit of evening mood from Rio de Janeiro...

20091011292316112917018011.jpg

Country
malaysia
Yes, as mentioned nothing is out yet. But we are working hard on it and the tag is because we need clever ideas to resolve the challenges we meet in the conversion. And just not to raise expectations too high - what will come out will be a soft-conversion based on mdl files and not glTF format files. Also it will be standard wakes assuming that they might be corrected first and they do display even if not perfectly.

Today Knud started converting those ships which by different designers were done with BMP textures - once again Arno's MCX is simply the most essential tool in the simworld.
Thank you for the update. Hope to see it soon :)

Because I mostly fly airliners, I had the problem in FSX that ships were most of the time just not visible because
of the draw distance. Is the draw distance of ai ships in MSFS higher
than in FSX or at least is it adjustable?
In reality appropriate visibility conditions implied your could see large ships and particularly
ship lights at night from high altitudes and a relatively large distance.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Certainly in P3D4.5 and this AI Package I could easily see the ships when flying the 146 or VC10 at FL30 or below. But its even better at lower levels obviously. Flying from EGAC or EGPH you would get a realistic amount of traffic in the Irish Sea or Firth of Forth and indeed the Dover Straights.
In MSFS its difficult to gauge as we don't have the package yet and the effects are still causing problems (i.e. no wake effects atm). I can certainly see the default ships from altitude.... if I can find one. I don't think we will know for sure until MSFS is updated properly and the shipping package is released in the future.

Certainly in P3D4.5 and this AI Package I could easily see the ships when flying the 146 or VC10 at FL30 or below. But its even better at lower levels obviously. Flying from EGAC or EGPH you would get a realistic amount of traffic in the Irish Sea or Firth of Forth and indeed the Dover Straights.

Typical routes are from EDDL, EDDK, EDDM to LEPA, LEMH, LEIB where I would expect to see ship traffic, especially in the area near Marseille (42.481, 4.900).
As I wrote before, in reality you could see ships not only near harbors but also on oceans from higher altitude especially at night.
Then lets hope that the ai ship traffic draw distance in MSFS will be high enough to see the ships also from higher altitudes.

Last edited:
Country
denmark
Typical routes are from EDDL, EDDK, EDDM to LEPA, LEMH, LEIB where I would expect to see ship traffic, especially in the area near Marseille (42.481, 4.900).
As I wrote before, in reality you could see ships not only near harbors but also on oceans from higher altitude especially at night.
Then lets hope that the ai ship traffic draw distance in MSFS will be high enough to see the ships also from higher altitudes.
So far it looks very promissing and the large ships can be seen far in the distance :D

From todays tests near Hong Kong...

20100309025416112917064034.jpg

20100309025316112917064031.jpg

20100309025216112917064028.jpg

Country
france
Cant wait to see larce cargo ships and their trails while cruising at FL400 (or seeling their lights during night flight)

Country
denmark
The same models as above but in P3D...

20100309500616112917064107.jpg

20100309500516112917064106.jpg

20100309500516112917064105.jpg

I am still a big fan of Flytampa's Kai Tak and contrary to the water in MSFS there are no huge hills on the water surface in P3D.... Flying low over the surface in MSFS it is possible to see water hills of 15-20 metres height in the Hong Kong harbour... my ferries ended with the screw out of the water trying to sail uphill...

Country
denmark
And a bit more of the upcoming classic package...

20100311013516112917064144.jpg

The hydrofoil ferries serving Hong Kong Macau from the sixties

20100310375316112917064137.jpg

A reefer ship built in Denmark in 1957

20100310375416112917064138.jpg

Erwin Welker's model of Hanseatic near Kai Tak airport

20100310375416112917064139.jpg

Lircay, another Danish built freighter from 1957.

Country
denmark
Are this new Ships usable in old FSXA too?
The Classic Project is developped first for FSXA and P3D and on Calclassic you can even see some of the ships converted to FS9 as part of a Buenos Aires scenery… This was started way before MSFS2020 was announced, but eventually they might also sneak their way into the new sim.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Henrik,

If you want glTF model for the FREMM and the Calypso, I can do it and send you the results. ;)