• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Introduction to MSFS SDK (scenery)

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi, you can’t

Hi, you can’t edit the default airport, you create a new one in the same ICAO and select the delete options. This has the effect of hiding the default one so only your new creation shows.
Ahh that makes sense! So basically create a polygon and delete everything inside the polygon to start a fresh. Also I have another question following that. Even though your hiding the scenery inside the polygon, wont there still be two airports with the same icao code to choose from when your selecting a spawn? Or does the polygon also remove spawn points too?

Thanks for the reply btw!

Country
unitedkingdom
@Coxie1102 Its easier with a screenshot, so hopefully this will be easier to follow. (I was on my phone earlier)
Earlier in this thread I had the same issue.

Select the Airport object, go to properties and expand the "To Delete" arrow.. You'll need to do an exclusion rectangle and exclusionpoly too.
Annotation 2020-08-26 220635.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
@Coxie1102 Its easier with a screenshot, so hopefully this will be easier to follow. (I was on my phone earlier)
Earlier in this thread I had the same issue.

Select the Airport object, go to properties and expand the "To Delete" arrow.. You'll need to do an exclusion rectangle and exclusionpoly too.View attachment 61156
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the effort you went through for my reply, I really appreciate it. c:

Btw good luck with Bedford! I'm trying to model EGCJ (Sherburn Aerodrome), done about 20 hours of flying there and hope to complete my training one day, So I want to make a high quality scenery (I'm fine with blender modelling its just this new SDK thats taking some learning hehe) But yea thanks for your help again. Im sure you'll see more posts of mine soon around here. haha.

Country
unitedkingdom
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the effort you went through for my reply, I really appreciate it. c:

Btw good luck with Bedford! I'm trying to model EGCJ (Sherburn Aerodrome), done about 20 hours of flying there and hope to complete my training one day, So I want to make a high quality scenery (I'm fine with blender modelling its just this new SDK thats taking some learning hehe) But yea thanks for your help again. Im sure you'll see more posts of mine soon around here. haha.

TBH I cant model for toffee and I don't understand texturing despite the best efforts of Dave Garwood, Rick Piper et al. Back in 2014 I had a go with SketchUp, and then used MCX to convert them to FSX. The textures in Sketchup were easy, point at at face, select the texture you wanted and click... easy. GMax, FSDS and Blender, I don't understand... it just hasn't clicked. So I'm trying to convert the models I made for FSX in SketchUp to MSFS. I loved doing all the research for Bedford, so much history was made there and its almost forgotten now. But I'll get my head around this if it kills me, and it probably will ;)

Country
poland
Hello everyone.
First of all, sorry for my english :)
Second, thank you for a great job. With this manual I learn the basics of creating scenery in MFS - so far I have created in X-Plane where, as you know, it's a completely different world.
Unfortunately, I ran into the problem of non-working taxiway and runway lights. Lights added manually from the Scenery library. Do any of you know how to solve this problem?
Best regards and keeping my fingers crossed for the development of the manual.

Country
unitedkingdom
does anyone have a tip on how to do this part of Runway?
If you use a taxiway and have it draw the surface it will do that (although it takes some trial and error to get it right)
The alternative is to add it as an Apron and pick the same surface as the runway

Country
argentina
Good day!! See if I can make him understand me.
I made a scenario with the files and architecture that the new simulator carries. But I can't make it show. Could this happen, why does the default scenario exist within FS2020 ???
How to prioritize a scenario.
This one I made has the name asobo-xxx-xxx-xxx
Thank you.

Country
italy
That's ok. MSFS takes multiple materials for a gLTF file.

Soooo in the end I made it to a plain single file texture.
I tried exporting like that and, WOW that partially worked! Still I have a couple problems I hope somebody can help me with.

The only thing is that I noticed that the texture was TOTALLY wrong, and there were missing faces. You can see in the video the moment when I realized that the missing faces were due to "Backface Culling" enabled. So one issue less to ask you about.

The major problem is that in Texture paint mode the textures looks fine, but in layout view (and in the final export / ingame model) the textures are TOTALLY wrong as you can see in this video.

What can be causing it? I almost made it! It took me 3 days to make a model appear in the game environment and I am excited even tho the resul is poor and bugged!

One more step, and you can expect a full chernobyl rework soon!

Here you can see a video of the process: https://www.loom.com/share/01f14c38701e4945809fd5d9997927cf

EDIT:

The texture is fine when importing, it gets weird when assigning it to the Albedo material, as seen in the linked video

EDIT2: (28/08/2020 - 14:06GMT)
Seems like that, matching the Texture Paint window settings (Solid Mode Viewport / Texture Paint Mode) the model shows the right texturing. It fucks up when switching to Render or Material Preview mode.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Has anyone found a working way of removing a vehicle that the sim spawns in? It was an airport already in the sim that I am currently editing. On every reload the vehicle changes (Example: fuel truck, fire engine, van etc). Its just the one but kinda doesn't fit in as it's a grass airfield.

Country
unitedkingdom
Has anyone found a working way of removing a vehicle that the sim spawns in? It was an airport already in the sim that I am currently editing. On every reload the vehicle changes (Example: fuel truck, fire engine, van etc). Its just the one but kinda doesn't fit in as it's a grass airfield.

You do know you cant edit in game airports, you have to create a new one with the same ICAO and select the delete options, this way the new one replaces the old one.

Country
unitedkingdom
You do know you cant edit in game airports, you have to create a new one with the same ICAO and select the delete options, this way the new one replaces the old one.

I have selected all of the "To Delete" options on the airport properties part. Unless there is more? It also has the same ICAO that MSFS has given the place as well. This was done yesterday so I have saved since and reloaded.

1598547015780.png

Country
unitedkingdom
And have you compiled the package and put it into the "community" folder?

I did but I now see the problem - It seems MSFS gave this specific place 2x ICAO codes (One correct, one incorrect). Changing the ICAO on the properties to the incorrect one, saving and rebuilding the package. It seems the vehicle has now gone.

Country
unitedkingdom
I did but I now see the problem - It seems MSFS gave this specific place 2x ICAO codes (One correct, one incorrect). Changing the ICAO on the properties to the incorrect one, saving and rebuilding the package. It seems the vehicle has now gone.

Ah! I noticed that on an airfield the other night too, but I can't remember which one. What you might be able to do is create 2 airports, the one with the correct ICAO (which you'll use to build your new version of the airport) and another with the wrong ICAO code, but don't make any objects for that one?

Its also worth reporting this to MS using Zendesk so they can fix it.

Country
italy
So I retried exporting and playing a little with tweakings and such but, as in the post above, the result now is a perfect mesh with an odd texture. I really can't get to understand what's wrong and why it happens when assigning the Albedo material to the mesh.

I am trying to find the solution myself but tbh it seems to be something too specific for a decent result.
Any help is appreciated, thanks again <3
1598621773092.png

Just checked UV mapping BEFORE applying the Albedo. It is totally fine and smooth BUT....
1598623083162.png

After applying the Standard MSFS Material and the Albedo Mask, this is the result...

1598623267227.png
1598621773092.png1598623083162.png1598623267227.png

Last edited: