• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX animations keyframe error SOLVED!

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi folks, hope that somebody can help,

I'm converting an old FS9 freeware model ( HJG Boeing 707 E-3 AWACS ) to work in FSX and have followed an excellent tutorial to convert several types before now, but this one's got a bug I cannot solve.

The issue I have is that when importing into MCX the aircraft's main undercarriage leg appears to become duplicated at the CofG spot and cannot be removed as highlighting this component using the heircachy tool also highlights the other undercarriage legs, hence my suspicion that it's a duplicate. The nose wheel seems to also be duplicated at the CofG spot also, along with a couple of leading edge flaps.

The result of this is that when exporting to FSX and testing the undercarriage retracts but then pops out after the doors have closed. Likewise, the leading edge flaps retract but then remain out of position, horizontal to the wing

I think I've possibly narrowed it down to a keyframe error in all cases, but I don't see any means of manually editing the keyframes inside MCX - is that possible?

Any help anybody can offer would be much appreciated! :) I've overcome most other obstacles so far but this one's got me stumped!
MCX1.jpg

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the picture I don't see a duplicate, only a gear at the wrong location. But this is most likely a bug. Do you have a link to the model so uw can test it?

Country
netherlands
I converted a HJG KC-135E model, same problem. The problem is that the zero key frames for several animations are missing. I exported the model with export option "keep x file", then manually added the zero key frames into the *.anim file with notepad, then imported the *.x file and the animations worked.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Arno and Henk, thanks very much for your replies!

Arno: the model can be found here under "Base Pack": http://simviation.com//hjg/aircraft/boeing/e-3.htm if you wish to see what happens when the model is imported into MCX. I did identify the last ten r_gear_len=75 animations as being apparently responsible for the mysterious extra undercarriage ( and presumably the last ten l_gear animations too ) but I will try henk's solution above first to see if that fixes it.

Henk: your solution answers both of my questions at once, very efficient! :) I will give that process a try and report back here if it works okay! I did notice that the HJG KC-135E also suffered from the same issue so it's most likely the cause of my woes...

Thanks again chaps!

Last edited:

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi gents,

The adjustment of the .xanim file did the trick and the aircraft model now animates perfectly in FSX! Many thanks for your help :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have fixed the bug in MCX as well now. Some animations had a time on the first keyframe that was bigger than zero and MCX did not render them correctly. I have fixed that now. Grab the next build tomorrow.

Country
netherlands
Arno, thanks! I imported a couple of FS9 models which have missing zero key frames and the animations now work straight from the box. This is a great improvement.