• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Missing Tree Polygons

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
I can confirm that this issue does not occur in FSX. Have not tested P3D 1 or 2.

TLDR; Either the horizontal polygons (canopy) or vertical polygons (side view) of my tree models appear, but never both.

I started attempting to create fuller autogen tree models; cross trees aren't as voluminous as I would like. However P3D doesn't seem to like my new non-cross trees.

This is an example model in MCX, all polys visible.
bushMCX.JPG

This is the autogen in P3D3, only canopy visible.
bush top.jpg

Exact same autogen call, a few hundred feet away, only the sides visible.
bush side.jpg

I have tested and ruled out the following: empty portion of texture sheet in use; incorrect autogen call.

I thought it might be a draw call issue, but I doubt, as all my autogen currently in the scene only use 2 texture sheets (1 for the trees themselves and 1 for the canopies). I also thought it might be too many texture vertices for the 2 draw calls, but even when I remove all other models and leave just one autogen model in the scene, polygons still disappear. Also, FSX displays all the polys just fine.

Has anybody experienced this issue? Any ideas? Is it a problem with my model? Find sample library, texture sheets and autogen xml attached
for testing. (Autogen Configuration Merger will be needed, then you can simply drop the descriptions on any test scenery).
I'd appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• RS Veg Test.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 235

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Update: so I went in and turned off drawcall batching on my models as a test, and half the polys came back. I'm stumped.
2017-5-4_11-54-46-975.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That might indicate there are too many polygons for the drawcall batching. I have seen that before with more complex models. Still weird that it doesn't happen in FSX though.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
I did more testing using a simpler model. 2 vertical planes for the tree, 1 horizontal plane for the canopy, 27 triangles in total, 39 texture verts, 2 draw calls.
Within P3D it was the ONLY tree in the scenery, and extremely sparsely spaced.
Only the horzontal planes showed up.

I went in and started playing with material settings; first, I changed the Alpha Test Level from 128 down to 4. This caused the horizontal canopy plane to show up, but the vertical tree planes disappeared.
I adjusted other settings like Vertical Normals and Z write Alpha but those made no difference.
Sooo (here's the intersting part) I went and put the Alpha test level back to 128 and... the vertical tree planes didn't come back.

The behaviour of these models in P3D seems ENTIRELY random.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Ive done everything I can think off, optimized the model and used double sided materials to reduce the triangle count down to 6. Copied the material values from the default autogen exactly (minus the fresnel map). I still cant get all the polys to appear. Can anyone test it out for me please?

Attachments

• rs_vegetation.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 206

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
I'm assuming that no one could reproduce my missing polygons?

UPDATE: I managed to get all the polygons back on one model by using one large texture sheet instead of 2 separate ones. I have no idea why this works.
I did not want to decrease the quality of the images so the sheet is now 2048px instead of 1024. I will observe how this affects performance as I now plan to fit all my vegetation onto one sheet.
Hopefully nothing breaks again.