• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3Dv4 Dynamic Lighting

Country
portugal
Hi

ok... but then what i need to do to have "source" light like this?
thanks

Yes I had used night textures to simulate the light in the glass. I would like to have translucent glass during the day and white in the night.
Multi-material does not work with conditions, so I don't know how to achive that.

Has anybody found a solution how to fix the 'landing lights light up' in the cockpit?

Like suggested:

It seems like the "Light passing through walls" issue might be causing the cockpit of planes to light up at night when using the landing lights, when they are positioned behind the cockpit (like in a 737 for example).
This can been seen in the Captain Sim 737 for V4 (in preview shots and videos). I haven't noticed it in other aircraft.

Is there perhaps a material setting that lets the lights know that the material is opaque?

The material is opaque and even so the light pass through. :(
Some detail is missing me or some bug.
Thank you all.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Has anybody found a solution how to fix the 'landing lights light up' in the cockpit?
I adjust the pivot point to angle the light .fx downwards until the light no longer shines in the VC.
For your landing/taxi lights, don't use a Multi-Material. Create a tiny 32x32 texture with the light bulb image, and light it up with "Additive Mode" for self-illumination when the light(s) are on.

That means LM hasn't implemented material opacity for dynamic lights yet? Similar issue occurs when aircraft passes or parked near a light mast.

Country
greece
That means LM hasn't implemented material opacity for dynamic lights yet? Similar issue occurs when aircraft passes or parked near a light mast.
Which is strange since landing lights from the user's aircraft don't shine through buildings and off to the other side of walls, which means the ability to "stop" the light is there but somehow the walls of a VC don't seem to be doing.

Can someone try adding a huge *wall* (basically a large square) in the VC mesh and position it between the landing lights and cockpit? Make sure the normals are facing towards the lights. You won't be able to see it from the front, where the VC is cause it won't be a two sided material but it will be visible if you move the camera outside the cockpit and close to where the lights would be in the external model. If that makes sense.

NAX

Country
norway
As a cockpit builder running Prosim737, the flight model is based om the default 737-800 from FSX. The .air file is nothing like the default, but models and lights are.
I now hope that we gan place dynamic light in the model to swap the dreadful landing-, taxi- and Runway turnoff lights with dynamic lights, but I havent got a clue how to do it. I looked into the .cfg, but you all know thats not how to fix it, but my knowledge to lights stop there.
Is this even something that can be easily done? Is it within reach for anyone via a tutorial?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

I'm trying to get support for the dynamic lights into MCX, so that you can place them directly from there (and also see the cone of the spotlight in the preview). But I have trouble to get it working in P3D. I used the effect in post 25, but nothing shows in my sim. It remains completely black. Did I miss some setting or so?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi.

Maybe it's because you have to link the attachpoint to an object. As far as I know, you can not directly export an attachpoint in Gmax/3dsm, but you always have to link the attachpoint to an object. Otherwise the exporter makes error messages and nothing is exported. Maybe there is a correlation.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I added it to an object, but I see no light at all. That makes me wonder if I missed something. Let me try to post my test object later.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Here is my sample object. I have added the spot light at the top of the building shining down. But I see nothing in the sim. Maybe somebody can try the object? The object is placed at N40 W40.

upload_2017-12-17_10-47-25.png

Attachments

• test.zip
    80.9 KB · Views: 294

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'll check which mistakes I made. I thought I copied it from the forum, but it seems I made some mistakes when generating it with MCX.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks working now. So that means I can move forward with adding support for this to MCX.

Country
germany
That will be a very welcomed feature. Thanks Arno! Is there also some solution in sight to the misplacement of effects in some geographical areas? I am not sure if there is a pattern and can be corrected in MCX or if it is something that LM has to look into.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That seems to be related to drawcall batching and the distance from the reference point, but I have never been able to understand the pattern fully.

Country
malaysia
Hi Arno,

Does the MCX now support for the dynamic lights? I tried with the files you attached in your post above but it seems I can't view the effect in MCX yet.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Arno,

Does the MCX now support for the dynamic lights? I tried with the files you attached in your post above but it seems I can't view the effect in MCX yet.
Nope, still working on that. First step will probably to just show the cone to help position the light. Showing in the preview is the next step.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

Just to share some insights from my testing with the dynamic lights.

The X Scale parameter defines the maximum range in meters that the light is effective.

The alpha value of the light color can be used to influence the strength of the light. It is used in the shader as multiplication factor.

The inner and outer cone angles as specified in the effect file are actually the half cone angles. So if you specify 45, you get a total cone of 90 degrees.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

I learned something else today. The "Color End" from the FX is used during dusk, dawn and night and the "Color Start" is used during the day. So that way we can set different colours for different times of day. Or by making the day color transparent we can only show it at night.