• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 PBR headache

Country
france
Hello
i found out that P3D SDK names the 2nd property: Smoothness while substance painter name it roughness
and in 3ds the more the smoothness get the more the material is shiny while in substance it's the inverse

should we invert the roughness channel once exported from substance painter?

PS : i actually get good results without inverting / maybe substance painter is inverting it for us as in the export panel it is names : glossiness

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Yes
Hello
i found out that P3D SDK names the 2nd property: Smoothness while substance painter name it roughness
and in 3ds the more the smoothness get the more the material is shiny while in substance it's the inverse

should we invert the roughness channel once exported from substance painter?

PS : i actually get good results without inverting / maybe substance painter is inverting it for us as in the export panel it is names : glossiness

Yes,... that is correct!

As mentioned in other threads (here and another), "Glossiness" is the same as "Smoothness" or the opposite of "Roughness". So, you would only need to invert if you are having Substance Painter (SP) create a "Roughness" map to get a "Smoothness" or "Glossiness" Maps.

Country
france
thnx
back to animation problems : i did a test, i have a jetway that is 100% PBR textured, it doesn't animate
i decided to divide it in two materials, one is pbr and the other is standard (just to test), i got the standard part animating normally (probably cause i had skinned mesh = true), but the pbr part is not
any thoughts ? someone told me that he has PBR jetways that work normally but still can't get it

The post is here (see my last reply for images)

Country
france
Hello All
i have a non-normal issue :|
i have a building roof that has a special shape, i set the faces to shade smooth to match the real-life building
but when i import the model in 3ds and start material matching, once i set the normal map, the smoothness just disappear (i mean the looking, like a perfect smooth sphere will be hard faced and we can see the faces borders while i need a smooth shape)
is that a known issue with PBR ?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Not sure what you're asking...

Pictures might help... what do you mean by a non-normal issue? How can your Smoothness disappear when adding a normal map... need specifics. Again, pictures of your normal map can help too.
When adding a normal map to an object wouldn't it make sense that it wouldn't be smooth any longer? Makes sense I think... but pictures might help clarify what you are referring to (such as your normal map and what it is, etc.)

Country
france
by non-normal the word normal mean the word normal that you can find in English dictionary and not in the 3D modeling vocabulary :p
and my mesh is losing its smoothness, it becomes hard
i'll post pictures asap

Country
france
this roof* is completly smooth in Blender/Substance painer, but once i aded the normal map in 3Ds, it became like this :|
2019-7-22_19-28-6-271.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
How were the normal maps made and in what format?

For comparison purposes (what were expecting to see?) what does it look like in Blender/Substance?

Country
france
in blender/substance, it is completely smooth, no faced edges like the pic
the normal map is made in substance, Red to alpha and green/blue in their places

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
In Blender/Substance, it's smooth. How am I to understand what you mean, if you don't show it? or what you mean by smooth?

The normal map is made in Substance - Red Into the Alpha - OK.
Green/Blue channels in their places? Can you say what their places are?

I told you earlier on how normal "bump" maps are made did you follow that, because what you're telling me maybe you didn't.
and I'm having to guess or assume you didn't. The reason is this:

A normal map is Red in the Alpha - What did you do with the red channel after it was moved to the Alpha Channel? The answer is Black.
What did you do with the Green Channel? and What did you do with the Blue Channel? Sounds like you didn't set up Substance Painter correctly?
What DXT format was it saved in? The answer is DXT5 (.dds)

You could have stated how you set up Substance Painter (then we, all here, could at least attempt to see what went wrong - those that have Substance Painter that is - I do, by the way).

What material is the top of the terminal made of? I believe that is what you are referring too.

Not having all the information - I can only guess or assume.

Country
france
i made mant PBR models and they all work and have same problem with the smoothness (not texture i mean the shape like shade smooth in blender)

Screenshot (14).png

Their places means : Green in green and blue in blue and the RED is black while the alpha is beeing RED

in 3Ds, when i get in the mat editor and start setting parameters, the model get faced when i set the normal map

and all my textures are DXT5 and i do that using the ImagTool

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
i made mant PBR models and they all work and have same problem with the smoothness (not texture i mean the shape like shade smooth in blender)

Their places means : Green in green and blue in blue and the RED is black while the alpha is beeing RED

in 3Ds, when i get in the mat editor and start setting parameters, the model get faced when i set the normal map

and all my textures are DXT5 and i do that using the ImagTool

Check the alphas - I had a similar problem at one point last year with a control tower, whereby all polygons would show through as un-smoothed and with different shading - it wasn't until I started messing with the alpha channel that it got sorted. I think that I used a diffuse map as an alpha to solve it, just randomly trying different things.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The alpha is the red cbannel and the red channel isto be black, that is done with Imagetool by the switch (-redtoalpha). From Substance Painter, you are not able to create a "bump" map (converting from a normal map to bump map). Sounds like you are doubling up on converting or attempting to. The blue channel after using imagetool should be white. The green channel after using Imagetool (I believe to be correct) will be inverted. This is using the Imagetool with version 4.5 of the P3D SDK.

Within Blender, did you "Apply" all modifiers before creating the seams to UV unmapping? All modifiers need to be "applied" before you map out the textures.

I'm not at my computer at the moment. So there might be more possible causes that I'm unable think of.

Country
france
in Blender all modifiers applied and it was smooth in 3ds too when i imported the fbx
i don't switch the chanels using ImageTool it is just for converting to DXT5 and substance can't do that

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Are you uv unwrapping before or after appying the modifiers?

You might be better off if you convert the normal maps after Substance Painter.

Country
france
The uv mapping us the last thing i do
And do you think making the changes on the normal map by my self will fix it ?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
It could... possibility. I don't know what modifiers etc were used.

You could try using a normal map that is in a DXT1 format.

Country
france
in Blender i applied all the mirror mod all the stuff that make modeling easier
at the end i took some faces and used the right click -> Shade smooth