• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Introduction to MSFS SDK (scenery)

Country
sweden
I have together with a few people (Mr. Wompy on discord et. al) created a short no-bs introduction to creating and compiling a scenery project. The document is not yet finished and I am waiting for others to pitch in. The custom objects insertion is WIP. Also, please keep in mind that some of us are coming over from x-plane type of development where its quite different from what you lads are used to in ESP meaning that you should elaborate things that are self-explanatory for an ESP developer. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Drago

Last edited:
Country
chile
Thanks for the article, very helpful and more clear than SDK instructions.

I have followed all steps and able to create my first airport, but I cannot make it to appear in the sim, I have added the compiled package under MSFS/Community folder but no luck to see it.

I should mention that is a real airport that is missing in the sim.

Update: It now works ok, the error was to put the whole "Packages/.." folder under Community

Cheers

Last edited:
Country
sweden
Thanks for the article, very helpful and more clear than SDK instructions.

I have followed all steps and able to create my first airport, but I cannot make it to appear in the sim, I have added the compiled package under MSFS/Community folder but no luck to see it.

I should mention that is a real airport that is missing in the sim.

Cheers
Can you show me your file structure of the folder? Where did you find the compiled scenery exactly? How is its structure?

Country
unitedstates
Here is how to get a Blender custom model into the sim....this is not my video and I also don't know if this is the "correct" way of doing things but it works...

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I shall leave it to the @scruffyduck as it is his domain!

Yet again, if anyone here knows how to add a custom object, plz for the love of god help us all out :)!

Great stuff and very helpful. I will talk with Arno when he gets back from vacation as to the best way to save and maintain this document. Also there are a lot of people working on things so it would be good to get updates and/or additions here. I am going to sticky it in the meantime

Country
chile
Can you show me your file structure of the folder? Where did you find the compiled scenery exactly? How is its structure?

The compiled scenery was found under "Packages" under project, the copied it to "Community" as this....

1598025680764.png

And now is working flawlessly

Country
sweden
Here is how to get a Blender custom model into the sim....this is not my video and I also don't know if this is the "correct" way of doing things but it works...

has not worked for me. Pls I cant even hear what the dude is saying, no offence to him.

What we need is down to earth tutorial that is 1) Step one: open the dryer 2) Step two: take your hand and move it with the dryer in it to the top of your head pointing down. 3) Start the dryer (to dry your hair).
The above is just an example. We need it SIIIIIIMPLE, expecially me who has no idea wtf I am doing :p

Country
unitedstates
So I added a runway and have my scenery bgl file and project saved. Whenever I load the sim and go back there and try to load my project xml the sim crashes. What the heck?!

Country
us-florida
I have together with a few people (Mr. Wompy on discord et. al) created a short no-bs introduction to creating and compiling a scenery project. The document is not yet finished and I am waiting for others to pitch in as I simply cannot figure out how to for example put in some custom models to be seen by the Object window. If anyone can please share more info on this I am very happy to include it within the manual. Also, please keep in mind that some of us are coming over from x-plane type of development where its quite different from what you lads are used to in ESP meaning that you should elaborate things that are self-explanatory for an ESP developer. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Drago

Thanks and congratulations to you and your team for a great and concise intro to putting the MSFS 2020 SDK into real-life practice. I was able to follow it pretty well. I too am anxious to understand how to place custom objects (once created according to the SDK) into the Scenery.

Rod

Country
peru
hello, thank you very much for creating this guide, my only missing issue is that once you create any polygon I am not able to have it reload it if I ever close the scenery editor

do you have any idea what Im missing?

thanks