FSX:SE DSF file to FSX?

All,
I own both X-Plane and FSX: SE. However, I came across a scenery package on X-Plane's site that is highly realistic and ten times better than any scenery I've found for FSX - Payware or Freeware. In the Zip folder that came with the X-Plane scenery package, there is a subfolder called "Earth nav data" that contains three "DSF" files. It is my understanding that the DSF files are the ones that place the objects in the right place. I know you can convert the OBJ (models in the X-Plane scenery package) to MDL (the one used by FSX), in Model Converter X), but I wasn't sure if there is a way to place them in FSX at the same locations that they're at in X-Plane. I also sent a message to the person who developed the XP11 addon. Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

ModelConverterX has a feature to read DSF file. It might be a bit buggy still, as it has not been tested a lot.

But with that feature you should be able to read all objects and placement into MCX. And then you can save it to a BGL file for FS that will contain both as well.

Hi Arno,
Thanks for the reply! I downloaded MCX to and tried to open the OBJ files, but they all came out as black and white squares (like a chess board). Should I attach any of the files? I also imported the DSF file, but nothing showed up. On a side note, all of the files show as "Blocked" in the Windows Explorer properties screen, because Windows doesn't like that they came from an online source (happens a lot). If I went and unblocked the files, could that solve the issue?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

The black and white squares just mean that the textures didn’t load. Place them into the same folder as the OBJ file and they should appear.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
And check the log, it will tell you more.

Also for the dsf file, does the log contain errors?

First, after you load the DSF file can you click on the green arrows at the upper left of the MCX screen to jump between objects?

Second, if the objects are in separate files from the DSF file (I have no idea how this system works), then the DSF file may have no objects in it. If so, it may only has placement information in it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You might have to point to the right libraries via the options. The Dsf will reference the OBJ files.

And check the log, it will tell you more.

Also for the dsf file, does the log contain errors?
Here are the log entries:
7:42 AM ObjectRenderer Warning Failed to load texture: _milwaukee+-grouped.png
7:42 AM ObjectRenderer Warning Failed to load texture: _milwaukee+recycles-grouped_lit.png
All of the files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\C Milwaukee\objects. Could it be that some of the files display as blocked in the properties window?
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
And the OBJ file is in the same folder as the textures?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Can I download the scenery somewhere to test it or is it not a freeware scenery?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I see the scenery has many objects. Is there a specific object that has the problem or do you have problems loading any of them?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think I see what the problem is. The OBJ file references a PNG file, but the actual textures are DDS files.

This looks similar to FSX that will try to find a DDS file even if the MDL references a BMP file. I'll try to update MCX with this behaviour for PNG and DDS as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That did it. I will put this new functionality in the next development release of MCX.

1548509017516.png

Hi Arno,
The last few days have been hectic, so I haven't been able to respond. Sorry! All of the objects in that package display as checkered on my end. Were you only able to get that to work on your software, or are you saying that it won't be available until you release the new version of MCX?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The new version with the fix included is online already, so just grab the latest development release.

Hi Arno,
I downloaded the update,
Now I'm trying to import the DDS file, and it's stuck on "Importing" Event log entry is 9:56 AM FLTReader Information Starting reading of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\C Milwaukee\objects\_Milwaukee+Recycles-grouped_LIT.dds.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You can't read the DDS file as a 3D object, it's a texture not a model.

Hi Arno,
I understand. Now when I load the models, I get the error, "ObjectRenderer Warning Failed to load texture: bolton-grouped.png" and "ObjectRenderer Warning Failed to load texture: bolton-grouped_lit.png" I thought it's supposed to read the DDS files for textures. At least that's what your screenshot is displaying. Why is it loading PNG's on my end?
Regards,
Kevin Davis