Suggestions for Future Version 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Below is the list of suggestions currently in the development list. It is rather long :eek: However before making a new suggestion please have a quick look and see if it is already listed. Each entry has a number (e.g.[10234]) at the end of the short description. This is the reference number in my system. Please use this number if you wish to reference an existing item

• Accurate sizing of taxi signs including back to back. [10110]
  • Add Freeform helper shape poly. [10142]
  • Add Heading Property to Add Dialogs for Scenery Objects. [10301]
  • Add Node into Link by placing it over link and using Key. [10107]
  • Add starts to all runway ends . [10304]
  • Add water poly thumbs. [10122]
  • Allow ADE to Compile objects it knows nothing about. [10065]
  • Allow Import of Exclusion Only Bgl Files. [10084]
  • Allow import of Fix only Bgl files. [10070]
  • Allow multiple copies of ADE to run or allow multiple airports open at the same time [10391]
  • Allow multiple selection of vertices via rubber band.. [10020]
  • Allow users to change lists from within the lister. [10228]
  • Allow users to define a default scale for an object in LOM. [10147]
  • Altitude Setting for Water Polygons. [10108]
  • Ambient Sound Effects. [10101]
  • Attach functionality for ADE. [10109]
  • Auto Add Bgl files to ADE LOM. [10269]
  • Auto create thumbnail for scenery objects. [10063]
  • Automatic Method to blend airport flatten into surrounding mesh. [10345]
  • Autoscroll when at side of display. [10116]
  • Background Images into Approach Mode. [10311]
  • Bulk Load MDL Files. [10104]
  • Change Leg type without needing to delete and add. [10260]
  • Change the actual library object in placement code. [10072]
  • Change the elevation of a user defined airport without stub. [10042]
  • Change to method for adding vertex. [10268]
  • Check changes in objects when re-loading library. [10078]
  • Check if manually entered airline code is in parkingSpecs.dat. [10326]
  • Confirmation Prompt when clearing recent history. [10300]
  • Connect to FSX with no airport loaded. [10096]
  • Copy current mouse coordinates to the clipboard. [10206]
  • Create complex objects from a set of library objects/generic buildings and save for re-use . [10052]
  • Default ADE project save folder to My Documents. [10097]
  • Display PAPI/VASI in Day Mode. [10004]
  • Display height of Lib Obj and GNBs. [10081]
  • Drag Drop Tool to Add Objects. [10010]
  • Drag resize guildelines. [10266]
  • Easier way to move legs in list rather than up and down one at a time. [10261]
  • Edit Altitude for multiple vertices at a time [10354]
  • Edit ILS available in Approach Mode. [10100]
  • Edit Jetway GUIDs. [10087]
  • Enter coordinates as LAT, LON in single entry box. [10305]
  • Export Taxipath/parking diagram. [10312]
  • Extend multi edit to include other object such as library objects. [10310]
  • FS9 export terrain data in sbuilder format. [10095]
  • FSX Import of SBX terrain data files. [10094]
  • Favorites list for Library Objects. [10111]
  • Fill in default T offsets for FSX Parking Spots. [10154]
  • Fix runway width for FS9.. [10275]
  • Floating see through compass. [10093]
  • Generic Building Designer. [10058]
  • Group editing for more object groups . [10153]
  • Image complexity settings interlinked between ADE and FSX. [10259]
  • Image setting file as SBX. [10114]
  • Import Settings from old version to new. [10148]
  • Import csv file information into an ADE project. [10327]
  • Importing Navaids should allow the user to select whether they are inside or outside the airport record. [10286]
  • Improve access to scenery object flags. [10152] - Done
  • In place editing for lists. [10321]
  • Join, split close fences etc. [10120]
  • Keyboard shortcut to place an object. [10151]
  • Keyboard shortcuts for right click feature such as copy/paste. [10307]
  • Libraries used to include export to csv. [10328]
  • Libraries used to report stock libraries as well as addon libraries. [10329]
  • Library object manager to store custom default scale size. [10323]
  • Library object thumbnail on-line exchange. [10331]
  • Library objects to be shown in display as top down view. [10330]
  • Limit ILS range to 27nm. [10215]
  • Lock/unlock all objects in the project. [10317]
  • Make the option to compile out objects as a separate BGL a project-specific option. [10250]
  • Mini map in separate window for navigation of airport [10340]
  • Modify the way transitions expand. [10316]
  • Multi select Vertices using the Rubber Band. [10026]
  • Numbered bookmarks. [10295]
  • Object groups - ability to treat a group of objects as one object. [10322]
  • Option to export the xml for a project. [10314]
  • Options to Reset Airport to Stock Altitude. [10071]
  • Pie chart coloring for parking spots with more than one airline code. [10293]
  • Position VASI by User Aircraft Position. [10088]
  • Pre-populate taxi signs depending on location. [10103]
  • Preview Airport from File. [10091]
  • Print third party libraries used. [10241]
  • Project specific paths - store save and compile paths in the project file [10394]
  • Provide Guidelines with Ruler feature. [10092]
  • Provide extended import function for ADE LOM. [10131]
  • Provide orientation mark for shoreline vectors in FSX. [10306]
  • Provide snap to guideline function. [10308]
  • Reconnect taxiway when hold short node removed. [10303]
  • Registry Fix Tool for FS9/FSX/P3D. [10144]
  • Rename taxi designator in list. [10318]
  • Rotate Apron. [10324]
  • Rotate runway based on one end rather than the center. [10227]
  • Runway length too long should have warning. [10083]
  • SBX tile server function. [10126]
  • Scenery object list to include guids. [10320]
  • Select all links between two points. [10040]
  • Selectable 'halo' around very small objects. [10069]
  • Separate options for merging dat files of any type into ADE base files. [10270]
  • Set parking spot heading based on aircraft heading in FS. [10090]
  • Show Fence Orientation. [10302]
  • Show bgl file name in tool tip for library objects. [10102]
  • Snap objects together along common edge. [10325]
  • Snap to User Aircraft Position for Vertex Points. [10117]
  • Sort taxi designators by name in the taxiway properties dialog. [10313]
  • Stop Lists scolling back to top when an entry is deleted. [10297]
  • Stop users saving a Bgl file to a default file name. [10273] - Done
  • Tool to create 'cut outs' in aprons . [10060]
  • Tool to create lines of objects. [10039]
  • Tools to fill area with objects. [10034]
  • Undo/Redo for approach mode editors. [10221]
  • Update Color Picker to allow user to set color by ARGB values. [10080]
  • Update airport services when a fuel trigger is added. [10230]
  • Use scenery cfg to read airports. [10113]
  • User custom link color displayed in the taxi paths list. [10315]
  • User definable cross width and color for a selected background image. [10156]
  • VASI/PAPI Draggable. [10112]
  • Warn if Offset Threshold is more than 47% of runway. [10138]
  • Warn if it does not have objects before compile rather than just not compile them. [10294]
  • Warning where parking spots overlap in FSX. [10140]
  • When background image is not found offer to find it.. [10123]
  • Wizard to create remaining distance markers for runways . [10056]

Please note that the list is alphabetical and the presence of something on the list does not mean it will be done. I plan to release the list of items to be included in the next build separately. It also does not include any Bugs since these by definition will be worked on.

Last edited:

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Mini map

An option to replace or augment [10295] would be a mini-map you can toggle visible as a window with a hotkey. So you're zoomed in, but want to jump to another area of the airport, you call up the mini map and click on it to take you to that spot in the airport. Here's a mockup I threw together:

(click to embiggen)

Note also the minimap displays bookmarked locations and a black box showing your current view area in the airport. The box is a bit hard to see tho so maybe just an icon centered on your current position. Also the minimap display size defaults to the background image size, but a custom size (or just zoom level?) would have to be available too because without a background image not sure how you would determine the size of the airport to have it all appear at once in the window.

An option to replace or augment [10295] would be a mini-map you can toggle visible as a window with a hotkey. So you're zoomed in, but want to jump to another area of the airport, you call up the mini map and click on it to take you to that spot in the airport. Here's a mockup I threw together:

Note also the minimap displays bookmarked locations and a black box showing your current view area in the airport. The box is a bit hard to see tho so maybe just an icon centered on your current position. Also the minimap display size defaults to the background image size, but a custom size (or just zoom level?) would have to be available too because without a background image not sure how you would determine the size of the airport to have it all appear at once in the window.
I like that idea. This would definately save some time.

Adding Object Names to LOM Automatically

Hi,

When I load a library BGL file into LOM, it gives the objects names like "Classic_Object_Library.BGL_013". I have in the same folder as the BGL file a text file with the same name as the BGL file but with a .txt extension. This is used by programs like Rwy12, Instant Scenery, and ModelConverterX to give each object a meaningful name, like "Billboard Delta". The text file is in the format:

03FB34404E8AE8121EB18480E9334C25 Chain Link Fence
DBA36C0243BFEF6F533463B161653813 Derrick Wide
DA6F578F4D9E445A8ED6588C4835193E Hangar Quonset Stucco Large
1F98605C474D4011C7FDDCA0FB9AA759 Hangar Tin Small
21210BFB4983DE02C5486680E31C758E Tank Metal

GUID, followed by the name.

Is there a reason that this file is not used by ADE when loading a library BGL into LOM? That would make it much easier to use this function.

Thanks,

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Tom - good idea. My old LOM did just that. There are several items on the list that cover this area: 10077, 10269 and 10131.

Thanks, that would be very convenient. BTW, I can't find 10077 in the list.

I saw the other two, but since I didn't see this feature listed I thought I would add it specifically. :)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks, that would be very convenient. BTW, I can't find 10077 in the list.

I saw the other two, but since I didn't see this feature listed I thought I would add it specifically. :)
Let me check but it may be a duplicate and therefore not in the list at the top.....

Hello Jon,

what about a background layer for google or bing aerial images like in ModelConverterX? Maybe Arno could provide his code?

I wonder that nobody else is begging for that feature?

Best Regards,
Heinrich

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hello Jon,

what about a background layer for google or bing aerial images like in ModelConverterX? Maybe Arno could provide his code?

I wonder that nobody else is begging for that feature?

Best Regards,
Heinrich
It is on the list I think...[10126]

Holy Mother! That's a long list. And this is after your new release?!

One thing that comes to mind is an issue that is as old as flightsim itself. The plateaus and valleys that are created at airports when adding 3rd party mesh. With the 1,000's of airports that could use correcting it would be nice if ADE could somewhat automate a fix. Here's what I was thinkin'

User is working on an airport that blends nicely into the 3rd party mesh at one end of the runway (the proper airport elevation), but has a plateau on the opposite end of the runway. Allow the user to set his aircraft on the ground out as far as he wants from the airport. In slew mode, with the 3rd party mesh active, the user moves the aircraft in a circle (or whatever pattern), around the airport. Points of elevation are collected automatically as the aircraft moves. When the aircraft completes is circle, a sloping poly is created using those points as the outer parameter and moving upwards to meet up to the airport's elevation.

Just thought I would throw that out as I try to smooth out KPSP with MegaScenery Earth SoCal, ha!

Clutch

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor

One thing that comes to mind is an issue that is as old as flightsim itself. The plateaus and valleys that are created at airports when adding 3rd party mesh. With the 1,000's of airports that could use correcting it would be nice if ADE could somewhat automate a fix. Here's what I was thinkin'

User is working on an airport that blends nicely into the 3rd party mesh at one end of the runway (the proper airport elevation), but has a plateau on the opposite end of the runway. Allow the user to set his aircraft on the ground out as far as he wants from the airport. In slew mode, with the 3rd party mesh active, the user moves the aircraft in a circle (or whatever pattern), around the airport. Points of elevation are collected automatically as the aircraft moves. When the aircraft completes is circle, a sloping poly is created using those points as the outer parameter and moving upwards to meet up to the airport's elevation.

Just thought I would throw that out as I try to smooth out KPSP with MegaScenery Earth SoCal, ha!

Clutch

Interesting idea ;) - [10345]

I have always wondered about the display grid sizing and placement, now I know after reading the release notes for 1.55.

Would it not be beneficial in placing background images to have the display grid aligned with lat/lon?

A hotkey (spacebar?) to select the pointer tool would be nice. The button is waaayyy up there in the corner, so far from where the work gets done. :D

Keep up the good work and thanks for gving us this great tool.

cheers,
Lane

Clutch

Hello:

George Davison aka "Golf-HotelDelta" here at FSDev has already developed a proprietary workflow to do this, which IIRC, he has made available for use by the UK2000 team for correcting terrain integration issues at payware airports they release for FSX. ;)

Perhaps he could consult on how this might also be done via the ADE GUI ? :idea:

GaryGB

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have always wondered about the display grid sizing and placement, now I know after reading the release notes for 1.55.

Would it not be beneficial in placing background images to have the display grid aligned with lat/lon?

A hotkey (spacebar?) to select the pointer tool would be nice. The button is waaayyy up there in the corner, so far from where the work gets done. :D

Keep up the good work and thanks for gving us this great tool.

cheers,
Lane

Hit Esc to get the point tool at any time.

We originally had a grid based on lat/lon. A survey of users indicated that most did not use it. Frankly I would get rid of it and never have it turned on. Does that sound a bit harsh? Sorry did not mean it :)

Hit Esc to get the point tool at any time.
Good to know, must have missed that one in the manual.

We originally had a grid based on lat/lon. A survey of users indicated that most did not use it. Frankly I would get rid of it and never have it turned on. Does that sound a bit harsh? Sorry did not mean it :)
Not harsh at all. While I do not turn the grid off, it has never been of much value to me other than as a reminder that I have rotated the display.

At one time I was trying to place an FAA airport chart (which have lat/lon lines on them) as a background image and thought it would be helpful in lining it up if the grid represented actual lines of lat/lon.

I ended up creating a pseudo-grid with guidelines and placing them on lat/lon lines that corresponded with the chart. It took a bit of fussing and got the job done.

Thanks anyway.

cheers,
Lane

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.