• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Introduction to MSFS SDK (scenery)

Country
sweden
Awesome guide, million thanks! I have been building some local landmarks including bridges. I manage to exclude the standard autogen bridge, but I can't seem to be able to exclude the autogen traffic. This looks wierd, as the custom bridge is substantially higher than the autogen. Anyone know how to? I have tried the polygon with exclude all,and also the exclusion rectangle without any luck.

Country
italy
I have finally created my airport, but I don't understand how I can change the runway starts. I read that a green arrow that appears, changes them ... I saw it for a moment ... but then I never saw it again.

Country
senegal
I have finally created my airport, but I don't understand how I can change the runway starts. I read that a green arrow that appears, changes them ... I saw it for a moment ... but then I never saw it again.
Yes you can move them by enabling edit position in the runway properties.

Country
italy
Many thanks Devinci ...I had a problem with runway starts inverted. But I solved....I put also Flamingos....:p:D. In Sardinia there are many....

Attachments

• fenicotteri.jpg
    fenicotteri.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 260
Country
brazil
So trying and retrying, I found this out. Going in the Render properties of the MSFS Addon in the Materials tab, changing the Alpha Mode to Blend, it kinda works. The texture get's somehow ok, just translucent, so I suppose that I need the correct Blend channel to work it out.

This is the result changing Alpha Mode:
View attachment 61306
Reading the guide, I relized it takes Substance Painter. I got it from a friend and started fooling around with it, but each time I load in the model, I get both model and UV texture white.

Now the question is, just this simple. How do I import the model texture, and what are the settings for a correct baking for MSFS purpose?

I suppose that's the last thing I need to know :D Thanks in advance again, you guys have been really patient and helpful!

EDIT:

Exporting it like that kinda worked, but setting "Alpha Mode" to "Blend" made the model very very thin and translucent. I suppose it's due to not having a proper blend mask.
Hoping to see a tutorial on Substance Painter usage for MSFS soon though :p

View attachment 61311

Is that the DUGA OTH radar near Chernobyl? o_O
Been there in 2017, such an amazing place!

Country
canada
I created a brick tower with Blender and the MSFS2020 exporter addon installed and follow the tutorial manage to install the object in the sim but it is as far as I can go I couldn`t get the package required for the installation
I don`t know how to proceed next need more detailed instruction can someone help thank

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
I have together with a few people (Mr. Wompy on discord et. al) created a short no-bs introduction to creating and compiling a scenery project. The document is not yet finished and I am waiting for others to pitch in. The custom objects insertion is WIP. Also, please keep in mind that some of us are coming over from x-plane type of development where its quite different from what you lads are used to in ESP meaning that you should elaborate things that are self-explanatory for an ESP developer. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Drago
The Airport KSCX, Scott Municipal, is not in MSFS 2020 so I am attempting to create it following the instructions written by Seb Brown & Dragoljub Blagojevic.

Once I input the coordinates 36.4556667, --84.5858333 and select the new format in H:M:S: format , a Custom point is shown, the NAVAID shows an altitude of 1640 Ft.. The actual airport is at 1545 Ft. When I choose "SET AS DEPARTURE", the plane is not at ground elevation. How can I start at ground elevation. Is there a way to change the initial elevation?

Country
australia
Hi guys, I tried using the importing from blender method, but my model won't appear under the objects list.

Country
us-texas
The Airport KSCX, Scott Municipal, is not in MSFS 2020 so I am attempting to create it following the instructions written by Seb Brown & Dragoljub Blagojevic.

Once I input the coordinates 36.4556667, --84.5858333 and select the new format in H:M:S: format , a Custom point is shown, the NAVAID shows an altitude of 1640 Ft.. The actual airport is at 1545 Ft. When I choose "SET AS DEPARTURE", the plane is not at ground elevation. How can I start at ground elevation. Is there a way to change the initial elevation?
Disregard my question. I have figured it out and have made lots of progress. I know have the KSCX airport. I still have to improve, once I am finished I will share with you all.

Country
italy
Ehehe
Is that the DUGA OTH radar near Chernobyl? o_O
Been there in 2017, such an amazing place!
yeah it is it, even tho I tried a full 3D version but with way too many polygons for the sim to handle it. Now I am focused on more general buildings and simple stuff :D

Country
germany
Hi guys, I tried using the importing from blender method, but my model won't appear under the objects list.
I had the same issue. I figured, the objects haven't been created, thus not showing up.

Check the console output when you click "build package" for a line: PackageBuilder | Finished, 1 sipped, ... done and 0 faild, took ..s..ms
It should tell you"0 faild". Otherwise it will tell you what went wrong (i.e. xml parse error)

Country
canada
I succeeded in exporting a custom object from Blender and installing it in my hometown airport following the great document instruction published my Drago. Now I want to add a second custom object in the same airport. My question is do I have to repeat exactly the same process for the second object and create a completely new package with a new name or is it possible to edit the first project to add the new object ? if so how can it be done ?
ScreenShot030.jpg

Country
italy
I succeeded in exporting a custom object from Blender and installing it in my hometown airport following the great document instruction published my Drago. Now I want to add a second custom object in the same airport. My question is do I have to repeat exactly the same process for the second object and create a completely new package with a new name or is it possible to edit the first project to add the new object ? if so how can it be done ?
View attachment 61555

Not really, you only need to export the model and texture. All textures goes in the texture folder, and models must have each one its folder containing model data, .bin file and .XML (remember to use the updated version strings from the guide). Then just rebuild the same package and it will be added

Country
italy
Would be good to update the guide with the correct procedure to replace / update models without losing the scenery files with shapes and such. I mean, made an hangar to fix a little LICH airport, but idk why in blender it looks awesome, ingame it is almost pitch black instead of brown. Now I want to iterate a second version with that model working, how should I do that?

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
@Majork this is most likely the AO map - or the lack of a AO map.
The FS is blending in shadows, based on the information in the AO map. If you don't include a metal/comp map, the AO channel is set to 0 = black. So naturally, your hangar will look quite dark. So create a proper metal texture, consisting of AO, roughness and metal. That'll probably fix your issue.

Country
italy
@Majork this is most likely the AO map - or the lack of a AO map.
The FS is blending in shadows, based on the information in the AO map. If you don't include a metal/comp map, the AO channel is set to 0 = black. So naturally, your hangar will look quite dark. So create a proper metal texture, consisting of AO, roughness and metal. That'll probably fix your issue.
It worked!

But one weird thing happens.

My assets won't take light at all. idk if I missed any flag in the export or in the materials settings but as you can see in the picture, pre-placed lights do work, but my positioned light won't at all

1599316517796.png

EDIT:
Nm, it still was the answer. Setting no occlusion, made it reflect basically none of the light taken :D Glad you pointed it out, now I am really able to replicate the results on any other model! Thanks! ;)

Last edited:
Country
portugal
View attachment 61555

I'm following part of this to put my objects into MFS2020 ( final part after the export from blender):

I have same two doubts:

- Every time that I want to update one object, I have to repeat allll the process inside MFS2020? o_O

- How to have to exported objects in the same project? :scratchch

I hope that someone can help. :)

Country
italy
Nope, you don't. Just put the newly exported model files (.bin, .gltf, .xml) in another folder inside ModelLib like this
1599342578326.png

Then, be sure all the textures are in the texture subfolder (all together, like this)
1599342617838.png

Then in the editor open your project and rebuild it. if it does it's job and it doesn't fail, save the project, close and reopen it, load in editor and you can use your assets ;)

EDIT:
I know my UV naming sucks. Well, I started 1 week ago not knowing blender, I am getting used to rename stuff and avoid chaos :p DO NOT BE LIKE ME, EVER >_<

Country
italy
Hello all, When I add a gate, I can add the jetway and it works... but the fuel truck .. the refueling system do not work, why?
There are a correct procedure to add it?
and how to add tower frequencies?