Suggestions for Future Version 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Not just requests Tom but also bugs etc. Each entry into the project management 'system' get a number.

A lot of the numbers (I hope) refer to closed items ;)

Als

Could you please make ALS wyswyg (now some are some don't), lock (grey out) the strobes pull-down when n/a and leave only permissible strobes numbers (per case) ?
That would save a lot of frustration :confused:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Could you please make ALS wyswyg (now some are some don't), lock (grey out) the strobes pull-down when n/a and leave only permissible strobes numbers (per case) ?
As far as I know they are - can you specifically tell me which ones do not display in ADE as in FS?

As far as I know they are - can you specifically tell me which ones do not display in ADE as in FS?
I went through the list and I only found SALSF. I think that rendering is correct, but the schematic in ADE night view wrong (pls check).
A minor thing in ALSF1 schematic - the innermost red/white barettes are RL 4 while schematic has 2. But this is unsubstantial.

Strobes do not render with ALSF1, ALSF2, Calvert, Calvert2, SALS, SALSF.
I think this is correct, except SALSF that should permit them (that is where the F comes from).

I did not check distances (in FSX), but I presume they are right (and I am lazy).

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have added this to the list to check the display in ADE - I assume here we are talking about ADE matching what is shown in FSX?

Suggestion: User Layers

Jon,

I have scanned thru the list of 'Suggestions for Future Versions 2013' and would like to add one if possible. Forgive me if I missed seeing this in the list.

I would like to see 'User Layers ', where one could create a layer for say, an airport at a different stage or time of construction - expansion. I have built Bien Hoa AB RVN in a time frame of 1970. Now there are

other who were stationed there in the early '60's who would like a version that represents that time frame. It would be nice to have 'User Layers' which could be enabled or disabled to represent and compile the

airport at different time frames. This would be better than having a different ADE file for each stage. This way if you make a change to an earlier layer it would show up in the later layer without one having to

remember to re-edit each .ade file. I understand the complexity of this request but it is one that I think a lot of users would find useful. Another use would be to have layers of static aircraft to represent different

levels of activity and I am sure there are many different uses that I haven't thought of. If I am not clear enough on this subject; it would be like having transparent layers (plastic overlays) that can be stacked over the

basic bottom layer to add to or modify it.

If there is another way to do this in the existing versions of ADE forget ALL of the above.

At this time I would truly like to thank you for all of your hard work to provide the FS community with such an awesome tool!

Thanks!

Wayne

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Jon,

I have scanned thru the list of 'Suggestions for Future Versions 2013' and would like to add one if possible. Forgive me if I missed seeing this in the list.

I would like to see 'User Layers ', where one could create a layer for say, an airport at a different stage or time of construction - expansion. I have built Bien Hoa AB RVN in a time frame of 1970. Now there are

other who were stationed there in the early '60's who would like a version that represents that time frame. It would be nice to have 'User Layers' which could be enabled or disabled to represent and compile the

airport at different time frames. This would be better than having a different ADE file for each stage. This way if you make a change to an earlier layer it would show up in the later layer without one having to

remember to re-edit each .ade file. I understand the complexity of this request but it is one that I think a lot of users would find useful. Another use would be to have layers of static aircraft to represent different

levels of activity and I am sure there are many different uses that I haven't thought of. If I am not clear enough on this subject; it would be like having transparent layers (plastic overlays) that can be stacked over the

basic bottom layer to add to or modify it.

If there is another way to do this in the existing versions of ADE forget ALL of the above.

At this time I would truly like to thank you for all of your hard work to provide the FS community with such an awesome tool!

Thanks!

Wayne
Can you confirm that you are talking about having different versions of the airport in one single ADE project file?

Jon,

I guess that would be one way of saying it. To me it would be a basic layer, say with one runway and associated objects with a newer layer of a second runway and associated objects; not having to have multiple ade files, in which when you modify a lower level you would not have to go to several version ade files to make the same changes. You are probably to young to remember projects made of plastic overlays with additions on another plastic overlay that can be stacked without having to reproduce the basic everytime. You would just create a new layer to overlay on the basic one. I know it would be a very complex project to implement and hence undoable. Just a thought. I now have several versions of Bien Hoa and when I discover an error in one I have to go and re-edit every file and re-creating the fix in every file is not always precise.

If this does not explain what I am saying, well I don't understand all aspects of the idea either. LOL Just a thought.

Wayne

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Wayne

I think I do understand and it would perhaps be possible by assigning a new property to objects that identified the 'era' or 'incarnation' of the airport. ADE would then have an option to show only those elements in certain incarnations and also compile on the same basis.

tgibson

Resource contributor
The only problem I see with this approach is this. How do you link a taxiway between the old runway in layer 1 and a newly added runway in layer 2? If you deactivate layer 2 that link should go away?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The only problem I see with this approach is this. How do you link a taxiway between the old runway in layer 1 and a newly added runway in layer 2? If you deactivate layer 2 that link should go away?
True Tom - the devil would be in the details for sure.

abax2000

ADE allows a multiple choice on how many strobes can be selected per type approach lighting and airport request. A Civil approach light system with strobes can be up to 15 and the Military Airports with high speed type aircraft is 21 strobes.

If Civil and Military share the same airport then F1 (flashing strobes CAT I) and F2 (flashing strobes CAT II, III) approach lights must use 21 strobes.

Strobes are ordered in multiple of 3's (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, etc)

I went through the list and I only found SALSF. I think that rendering is correct, but the schematic in ADE night view wrong (pls check).
A minor thing in ALSF1 schematic - the innermost red/white barettes are RL 4 while schematic has 2. But this is unsubstantial.

Strobes do not render with ALSF1, ALSF2, Calvert, Calvert2, SALS, SALSF.
I think this is correct, except SALSF that should permit them (that is where the F comes from).

I did not check distances (in FSX), but I presume they are right (and I am lazy).
I agree that ADE does need a little fine tuning in this area. Several of the approach lights using strobes sequence too far toward the runway end.

FS9 and FSX has built into the approach system the Dual Mode lighting which allows runways to operate in either the full F2 15 strobe (Civil) mode or in a more economical mode, depending on weather conditions.

If you are checking the approach lighting for a airport you must check the strobes when weather is both VMC and IMC do to the Dual Mode lighting that FS coded.

ADE9X would have to have 2 sets of night light modes (1 VMC, 1 IMC) which is not practical so the night mode is set for IMC which shows strobes on the grid.

The next ADE Manual update that Helli is working on will have a section on Dual Mode Approach Lighting.

Last edited:
FS9 and FSX has built into the approach system the Dual Mode lighting which allows runways to operate in either the full F2 15 strobe (Civil) mode or in a more economical mode, depending on weather conditions.
That is new to me! Thanks for pointing out.
Just a question here: if the user has defined 6 strobes, how many will be rendered VMC and how many IMC?

ADE9X would have to have 2 sets of night light modes (1 VMC, 1 IMC) which is not practical so the night mode is set for IMC which shows strobes on the grid.
Sounds like a very reasonable compromise. I'll keep this in mind.

Several of the approach lights using strobes sequence too far toward the runway end.
I assume that ADE just sets the approach lights from the built-in "list" of FSX (as opposed to draw approach lights itself).
That's why I proposed to grey out strobes when ALSF1, ALSF2, Calvert, Calvert2, SALS is selected (as these seem that they do not combine with strobe lights - except if they do but only in IMC - I did not check this).
On the contrary SALSF should accept strobes (I think) but it doesn't. I do not know if this is an FSX bug or ADE's slip.

Jim, thanks for the very enlightening answer.

Wayne

I think I do understand and it would perhaps be possible by assigning a new property to objects that identified the 'era' or 'incarnation' of the airport. ADE would then have an option to show only those elements in certain incarnations and also compile on the same basis.
I think a most useful facility would be to allow the option to compile only visible objects.

Often I need to remove an apron to see photo-textures underneath. I can delete the apron and compile but I then need to remember not to save.

Status
Not open for further replies.